1974 Dart Sport “Desert Rat”

-
Yeah, but it is an easy job. I've done it several times. The B body axle is NOT a good fit for any Valiant or Dart EXCEPT for the Demon or Dart Sport. The low hanging wheel opening arches make for a real tight fit.

Kern Dog do you just move them straight inboard or do you need to put it all on the ground and rotate them some set the 5 degrees or so downward angle before welding?

Kern Dog do you just move them straight inboard or do you need to put it all on the ground and rotate them some set the 5 degrees or so downward angle before welding?

I obtained the measurements for where the new pads needed to be, and removed one of the old pads. I then used the remaining pad to set the angle. I placed a torpedo level on the remaining pad and adjusted the differential to read level on the existing pad. Then I welded on the new pad using another torpedo level to ensure it was on the same plane as the existing one. Then repeat the process using the new pad as the reference point

Yeah, but it is an easy job. I've done it several times. The B body axle is NOT a good fit for any Valiant or Dart EXCEPT for the Demon or Dart Sport. The low hanging wheel opening arches make for a real tight fit.
I bet it would, I love swapping a B Body into an E Body for the extra room but I’ve used all of my B Body axles in my E Bodies!!! Never thought about sticking one in a Duster/Demon/Sport!
Of course you don’t need to move pads on the B to E swap.

I don’t believe so

69FF99E6-8BD9-451F-9759-7D38729C6B6F.png

BD9A47C6-B311-4CA1-9324-CB024D673A4A.jpeg
E462078C-2242-44BD-A8EB-6254687914EC.jpeg
Haven’t been able to gets much done as I would like but making some progress. I force myself to try and finish (or at least work on) one thing or part every day.
I’ve been unable to spend the weekends out there but I had today off and worked under the hood.
These are before and after.
I decided I’m going to paint the passenger side inner fender as well, I was going to leave it original paint because it really is in nice shape.
The drivers side needed painted because obviously a battery had exploded at one time and stripped most of the paint from the front inner fender, core support and hood. (Back side of hood will also receive a fresh coat and insulation pad.)

93F23853-82FF-46B4-9C80-30E20CCAFEA2.jpeg
496D1E6C-5567-47E7-9ACA-B973559EE566.jpeg
D65D8CEE-BC43-4B99-95A8-9ABA81F60A05.jpeg
I did get the ac box restored and back in place along with the wiper and blower motor. New firewall insulation and all of the wiring is fixed/replaced.
Steering column will come out next along with brake pedal assembly to be blasted and painted.
As soon as that is done I will install the white canopy vinyl top and trim, install the new windshield and trim then finally install the (long time now) restored dashboard and move onto the rest of the interior.
I welded in a new (nice used) spare tire well and got the trunk prepped and painted also.

I also bought a 1998 Magnum 5.9L engine and just got it back from the machine shop. I’ve had the stock heads rebuilt with Hughes Engines spring set to make the stock heads work with the custom grind Bullet Racing camshaft.
I’ve gasket matched the heads for a little better flow and bought one of the last M1 dual plane Magnum intakes that Indy Cyl Heads had.
I’m using a ported 69 318 exhaust manifold on the drivers side and the factory Magnum manifold on the passenger side. 1969 style valve covers and a 1970(ish) style no snorkel air cleaner.
It should resemble a 70-71 340, but still call out as a 360 4bbl.
22712C57-A84C-407E-9239-9739F7E48181.jpeg
44426CAE-6199-4E00-B38E-2B1C23B8F91A.jpeg

I decided to paint the motor orange instead of the factory blue because I just prefer it over the 72 and up blue.
It’s not original so I’m taking liberties and personalizing but trying to do it in a tasteful way and in an original style.

Last edited:
9CE6EFDA-C626-45ED-A3D4-7EB00CEB46E5.jpeg
16844D3E-71F4-47E0-B16D-640209A33385.jpeg
I decided to take another liberty and black-out the tail panel in my own design that pays tribute too but is not in the original style that would be the half black from the center down. Someone had put a really tasteful bumper sticker on the tail panel that had burned into the paint... even though it was “funny” I just couldn’t leave it and this was my solution to the problem.
Again, personalized but I like it and eventually when the outside gets repainted it can be properly addressed.
I think the “Ratty but Clean” Muscle Car look is awesome and we will see if I can pull it off like I see it in my mind!

Last edited:
Sorry about the crappy night shot. Didn’t realize I haven’t taken any pictures since I restored and polished the taillights and lenses and painted the tail panel.

25519FA9-E847-4F8F-9447-D68A99296476.jpeg

I like the tail panel. Are your going to replace the bumper shock to pull the bumper into the body more?

I like the tail panel. Are your going to replace the bumper shock to pull the bumper into the body more?
Nope, leaving them as Ma Mopar intended.
I know a lot of people do that but I really don’t like the odd gap that is left on the 74’s quarter panel in front of the bumper.

Same goes for the front bumper. I believe I may leave the bumper guards off because the bumpers cleaned up so nice there’s very little difference where they had been.
They are the thinner guards so I really don’t even mind them.

Eventually, this Dart Sport would probably get a 70 nose and I’d probably split and tuck the bumpers and build them to fit the fenders and quarters when the outside of the car is repainted.

That may be someone else’s decision to make as I’m sure I’ll be onto another project as soon as this one is finished! I never seem to keep them long after I get them where I like them, and the ones I have kept forever never seem to get finished!

80082AF9-F86A-4B8A-A22C-79A40B2A6F30.jpeg
CED852D1-0281-4DAA-A726-CBC44CBDFD30.jpeg
So yesterday I got busy cutting down the inner bumper structures for the Dart Sport.
When I took the bumpers off (myself) I could NOT believe how heavy they actually were!
So I decided since I’m leaving them looking stock I’ll just cut out all of the under structure that isn’t needed to mount the bumpers. And I’m leaving the bumper guards off also.
And yes... I already know they won’t take an impact like the original bumpers would but I don’t see them being much different than 1970 and back, and I don’t plan on needing to actually USE them ever. (Hopefully)
I’m going to weigh the leftover steel and see how significant the weight loss actually is.
The bumper supports now weigh less than 4lbs each!

I’m guessing I cut 25lbs out.... anyone else care to take a guess?

I’ll weigh the remaining steel tonight after I get home.

I pulled off the rusty rear bumper off the 76 Roadrunner, Yes that inner structure is HEAVY!!!!! I bet the whole thing weighs in at 60 pounds!!!! ( not counting the bumper!!). Yep it is the same on the front!!!!!

So I weighed the parts I cut off... 31.5 pounds! So that support is almost 40lbs by its self! I bet the B guards were another couple pounds also.
I really like it without the B guards and am really happy the bumper is in decent enough shape to go without them.
I’ll do the same with the front and see what kind of weight is up there.
The bumper went back on without a problem and actually was able to fine tune the fitment a little easier with them being individual.
Got the trunk lock and markers in and buffed the quarters (not a final buff, still have a bunch of Paintless dent removal to do)
92537DD8-2C5A-4BBB-A094-9900F8E8990B.jpeg
04E2A42C-510A-471A-94C0-5CA83193EF2D.jpeg
7DD34019-A29E-472F-AB95-B8CBA8BE3526.jpeg
and over the roof so now I can put the vinyl top on and get the dash and windshield back in... hopefully sooner than later!
I’m pretty happy how it’s turning out so far.

Yea those heavy bumpers were designed to take a 5 mph bump! WOW! Govn't mandated deal I beat. MY Ralph Dumbass Nader ???

Those inner bumper things on my Volare are darn near 1/4 inch thick!!!!!!

Well, last night I finished the Canopy Vinyl roof. Turned out really nice, went really smoothly. My Pops is in town from Illinois so I’m taking advantage of an extre set of hands for once! Getting the roof trim and drip edge moldings on really helps it look closer to complete!
This is the first time it’s really been in the garage! Everything else was and had been done outside.

I also got the dashboard in finally!!!
It was super easy because it was fully assembled. I really encourage anyone else to do the same. Makes the process much easier with much less upside down work!
Sorry about the dirty floors, I pressure washed the undercarriage and didn’t clean the interior because it was going to be outside for a few days before it came in.
I’m super happy and can really see progress finally!!! It feels so good knowing large hurdles are checked off the list!
Now for the windshield... never a good time. I’ve done 4 A Body windshields but it’s always a lot of time between each. I’m really happy how things are turning out!
Any tips on windshield installation? (Aside from having someone come and do it!)
4EED2F3C-4A53-4573-8B39-996C0C06D4FC.jpeg

looks god! I have a 77 volare wagon that color pretty!
We had a 76 Volare that my dad swears was this color but my mom and I both think it was more of a reddish tone/russit metallic.
I’d love to see a pic of that car, there’s a 80 Volare wagon around here I’d love to pick up, cheap and rust free... Gotta love AZ!

-
Back