1977 Dodge D100 slant six

-

04 Diesel

Reaction score
I just brought a 77 Dodge D100 home today with a slant six with 50,000 miles on her, it was sitting in a barn for years. I would like to turn the motor over by hand but there is no bolt on the crank, am I missing something? This is my first slant six motor, there should be a bolt holding the ballancer on right?

Let’s see some pics of the truck. :)
20180303_123535.jpg

It has 50,000 miles on her.

So how do I turn it over by hand? I want to make sure it turns ok before I try to start it. Also, do I need to adjust the valves on this motor?

No, there is no bolt missing—it was never there. You can turn over the engine by pulling the fan and (properly tightened) fan belt. Tune-up parts and technique suggestions in this post, including a link to the valve adjustment information (yes, it's necessary).

Not so fast boys.
Grab a small block balancer bolt/washer, and screw it in.
Who's the man now ? :)

Last edited:
If it were my truck I might just leave the /6 in it and modify it like Johnny Darts. Less work and definate cool factor !

Unless its destined to be a heavy hauler....

If it were my truck I might just leave the /6 in it and modify it like Johnny Darts. Less work and definate cool factor !

Unless its destined to be a heavy hauler....

I'll keep it in for awhile, but I think I will put something with more power in.

Just out of curiosity... How much money is in a Slanty like that?

Never really added it up, but to much.....Never again.
The only reason I kept it is because its in a 1of 23 65 Dart.
Didn't have the heart to do a V8 swap.

Wow! Thank you. Will a 2001 360 Magnum bolt work?

You're welcome. If you want to install a bolt for easy manual turnover of the engine, you need a 3/4-16 bolt and an appropriate washer. Bolt length varies from 2-1/4" to 2-3/4" depending on whether you have the 1-groove crank pulley or the 3-groove item.

Magnum bolt works just fine, what is the yellow box right above the voltage regulator?
20180304_161456.jpg

EGR timer. Probably already irrelevant; someone has removed the EGR vacuum amplifier from this engine already, so the EGR system is probably not operational. Looks like you've got the 2bbl setup, which is nice vs. the 1bbl.

EGR timer. Probably already irrelevant; someone has removed the EGR vacuum amplifier from this engine already, so the EGR system is probably not operational. Looks like you've got the 2bbl setup, which is nice vs. the 1bbl.
So I can just remove it? Just leave it unplugged? Yes it's a 2 barrel, I'm going to need a different carb, the last owner tried to rebuild it. Parts missing now, I'll look for a bbd.

Yep, you can remove the EGR timer.

Carb parts missing: Oh, de luxe. :-( Shop carefully; there's a flood of ѕhіtty Chinese "100% New!!!!!!" carbs on the market. Watch out for weasel words like "replacement for" and "BBD type", generic categories like "hi-top" and "low-top", and over-broad application claims like "1962-73".

Do yourself a favour: get a № 1232 Electric choke kit. Not only do these work better than the rickety, cold-blooded factory type, they're also adjustable, which the originals aren't.

trucks were the only 2bbl slants available in CA IIRC. Thats what I got my 2 off of. Both were manuals so I never did get the darn 2bbl kickdown.

-
Back