2 sets of heads for sb. can you help?

-

340plot

the bushy bush
Reaction score
ok, fisrt set says 360 on them, under the valve cover. and the last three digits is 974. what are these off of? thay look to have 202 valves.

second set last three digits are 302.

are these the swirl port heads? both sets have been magnufluxed and checked for cracks, but then sat in a shed for 2 years. any worth to either set? and what is a fair price to ask for these. i am not looking to make much off of them, but maybe more less help out another member

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 393
  • 002.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 390
  • 003.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 396
here is the second set, which are the 974's

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 416
  • 005.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 411
The 302s are swirl port closed chamber heads. If they are not cracked, they are some good heads. They have the 318 intake port size which will need the 318 port size intake but because of the velocity, that will not slow down a 340 or 360 with those heads. A stroker would probably benefit from them being ported to the 340-360 port size, but I would be careful because you don't wanna booger up the swirl port effect.

The 302s are swirl port closed chamber heads. If they are not cracked, they are some good heads. They have the 318 intake port size which will need the 318 port size intake but because of the velocity, that will not slow down a 340 or 360 with those heads. A stroker would probably benefit from them being ported to the 340-360 port size, but I would be careful because you don't wanna booger up the swirl port effect.

your 340/360 will be out of breath around 4000 rpm with those heads...

I've been wanting to go to the parts yard and pull a set of those 302 heads. Those have the same closed chamber design as the old 273 heads but with swirl port and hardened seats to boot. They do have a reputation of cracking. I think that is in performance builds like near zero deck height, etc.. I think they would be fine for my build though.

Never used them but from what i've heard the 302's are prone to cracking..the 974's are smog heads and useless i got a set rusting in the garage probably worth more scrap metal..

First I've heard about 302 heads cracking. Are you sure you dont mean magnums?

974 is a good head, '74-'76 I believe.

they came with and without the air injection holes drilled.

302 heads are too small for a stroker, coffee straws they become.

you can open the port windows up to 340/360 size but overall they don't have enough port volume.

I use cracked magnum heads myself.

you can't port, you can't build, which means you can't possibly have any idea of what you're even talking about.

They are good heads, go watch stock class sometime.

you can't port, you can't build, which means you can't possibly have any idea of what you're even talking about.

:cheers::bootysha:

I know what works and whats worth putting money into..please do tell me about all your racing experience i mean actually taking your car to the track and racing it instead of coming on here and talking a good game..my 7 yearold daughter probably has more track experience then you:toothy10::toothy10::toothy10:

Never used them but from what I've heard the 302's are prone to cracking..the 974's are smog heads and useless i got a set rusting in the garage probably worth more scrap metal..

I have said it before, and i will say it again.
Send them my way! I will take those P.O.S. "974" of your hands!(and make them flow every bit as good as a Stock 340/X head)

Every thing but the valve seat area is the same........WOOPS,:angry7: I'm trying to get YOU to give them to me............yeah there door stops GIVE THEM TO ME!:toothy10:

I have said it before, and i will say it again.
Send them my way! I will take those P.O.S. "974" of your hands!(and make them flow every bit as good as a Stock 340/X head)

Every thing but the valve seat area is the same........WOOPS,:angry7: I'm trying to get YOU to give them to me............yeah there door stops GIVE THEM TO ME!:toothy10:

Lol,Im not the only one asking for parts anymore!!!:cheers::cheers:

:clock::evil2:

^^^^^ 25.00 dollars for my time, and you pay the shipping

I know what works and whats worth putting money into..please do tell me about all your racing experience i mean actually taking your car to the track and racing it instead of coming on here and talking a good game..my 7 yearold daughter probably has more track experience then you:toothy10::toothy10::toothy10:

Any idiot with money can pay to have a engine & chassis built/tuned.
Yes I've been to the track and raced... u morone u.
The only thing you've probably done with your cars is put the lil stickers in the window and gas in the tank.:toothy10:

say....wheres that lost mph btw?8)

I have noticed on this site head questions do not get answered. Thread always turnes in to a pecker mesuring contest. LOL

Any idiot with money can pay to have a engine & chassis built/tuned

You must be speaking from experience..any and ALL work on my car other then machine work/shortblock assembling is done by me,and trust me i don't have money just know what works,oh and going to the track sitting in the stands doesn't count:toothy10::toothy10::toothy10:

You must be speaking from experience..any and ALL work on my car other then machine work/shortblock assembling is done by me,and trust me i don't have money just know what works,oh and going to the track sitting in the stands doesn't count:toothy10::toothy10::toothy10:

yea I am speaking from experience...I have to tune guy's like you's **** all the time.

read where I say a actually race, not sit in the stands.

only at pomona do I sit,watch, and drink beer...but only after a few raw ear blasts standing at the 60ft next to the lanes do I do that.

1 things for sure, you live in a box.

These heads are good, the limit is how much your willing to work them.
you can make 400-450 fairly easily, and higher if you put the work into them and the total combo.
when my bench shows up I will post numbers, stock/ported/full ported

to be continued...

Ok, so, i forget what i even started this thread about.lmao.

Oh, yea. It was about the price of tea in china.lol 65 yen per barrel

-
Back