20psi stock 5.9 carnage

-
Impressive especially in that heavy truck. Since it looks like the back two rods broke loose and set the whole meltdown in motion I wonder if maybe it was a fuel distro issue that ratttled those two cylinders enough to upset the whole thing under so much pressure. But amazing everything else pretty much held up. Stock pistons, cast crank, block didn’t just split in half. It got broke by an errant rod.
The beer barrel intake and mpfi has about the best distribution you can ask for. He is tuning it on a terminator x but I’d bet he’s not into individual cylinder tuning on it. Not even sure the terminator has individual cylinder tuning capabilities. This was a hard parts failure.

I consider that this clip is a testament to the strength and durability of a magnum. Some time ago a member posted that during the " cash for clunkers" era ( where the government mandated that the traded in clunkers engines would be destroyed by pouring a special solution into the engine to destroy it), that the 360 Magnum engines continued to run (versus other engines from other manufacturers) for much longer

The beer barrel intake and mpfi has about the best distribution you can ask for. He is tuning it on a terminator x but I’d bet he’s not into individual cylinder tuning on it. Not even sure the terminator has individual cylinder tuning capabilities. This was a hard parts failure.
Aren’t they all hard parts failures? The cause, however, we can only speculate on. 20psi isn’t a lot of boost, except in the case of a 40 year old stock block so who knows. It could have let enough oil in the chambers where even the best tune wouldn’t have mattered. He could have easily found the threshold of too much timing at peak torque for those rods as well. Pretty hard to tell the root cause from a video. Still, pretty cool to see.

I finally took a minute to watch the video. Also looked for the video where it actually broke and he has in-car camera view of his face when it broke. He took it pretty well.

Last edited:
Aren’t they all hard parts failures? The cause, however, we can only speculate on. 20psi isn’t a lot of boost, except in the case of a 40 year old stock block so who knows. It could have let enough oil in the chambers where even the best tune wouldn’t have mattered. He could have easily found the threshold of too much timing at peak torque for those rods as well. Pretty hard to tell the root cause from a video. Still, pretty cool to see.
Ha! Yea they almost always break hard parts. Without knowing what his tuneup looks like, you’re correct we are all merely speculating on the root cause. I would however place my bets on rod bolt failure being high on the list of possible suspects.

My whole take away from this is, I have a lot more faith in my garbage (besides the ring gap) if I ever decide to turn it up. As for people not enjoying people abusing parts….yikes. Steer clear of me cause I’ve put my car on the two-step knowing the timing set was falling apart. Live a little, it’s just parts.

I didn’t watch the video but if it broke the last two rods it probably bent the crank. I sprayed a stock crank, Rod, 360 for years. It made 450 wheel hp for years. Never did break it.

I didn’t watch the video but if it broke the last two rods it probably bent the crank. I sprayed a stock crank, Rod, 360 for years. It made 450 wheel hp for years. Never did break it.
You should watch it, the amount of carnage is pretty impressive. It broke so much stuff I can’t imagine the crank isn’t bent. He does roll it over after all the rods are off the journals and says there’s a tight spot, so highly likely.

Wait till uncle tony does a video about it. He will probably blame the timing chain

Wait till uncle tony does a video about it. He will probably blame the timing chain
You joke.. but that old *** boyd cottington show (not sure on spelling his name) had a car that wouldn't start.. they blamed it on a water leak.. no lie.... a buddy and i still laugh about that

Only if hes wrong.
...and this guy wasn't "wrong" for 20 PSI on a stock motor? I know. Of course he wasn't. But Tony would have been. I understand. You're a great machinist and a very knowledgable individual, but you're fulla **** as a person.

Oh yeah, I get all that. I ain't styoopid. Mopars have always been in the minority. It's all about what sells and what they can make money on. Besides all that, Mopar guys have a history of bein the cheapest bastards around. It's no wonder few companies make products for us. They're takin a huge chance those products might not get bought. But you keep thinkin Magnums are plentiful. That'll just be your little secret. Possibly in your area, but it's not like that everywhere by a long shot. I have one of the largest salvage yards in several counties 3 miles down the road and they've had NONE for a couple years now.
That's the goofy part. Mopar guys are as you said "cheap bastards" but unfortunately shivvy crap is what's cheap..... If more of the Mopar guys stepped up they would get cheaper to work with...
But then again maybe getting what's paid for applies? Spend a little more for better quality maybe?

...and this guy wasn't "wrong" for 20 PSI on a stock motor? I know. Of course he wasn't. But Tony would have been. I understand. You're a great machinist and a very knowledgable individual, but you're fulla **** as a person.
I think you misconstrued my comment. Tony has a history of "borrowing content" from other channels to give his input. ( THATS what I was referring to) it was a bit of a joke, but true. A recent example is the video of the "600HP 318" failure. It was someone elses engine, he made a video explaining his theory is the timing chain was to tight, and it broke the block after 2 years. He was wrong, as usual, that's my point. Tony should stick to his own content, like how to build a slant six that wont last one 1/8th pass without breaking. Or how to spend 5 years on a turd 318 that also brakes down every trip to the track. As far as knowing me as a person? You have never met me, so that part of your comment is baseless and absurd.

That's the goofy part. Mopar guys are as you said "cheap bastards" but unfortunately shivvy crap is what's cheap..... If more of the Mopar guys stepped up they would get cheaper to work with...
But then again maybe getting what's paid for applies? Spend a little more for better quality maybe?
I can assure you there is a whole WORLD of mopar guys that are NOT cheap. And the chevy stuff at the same power/durability level isnt as different as people think cost wise. The "cheap bastards" are the people who follow garbage builders like UTG. Not all mopar guys are that stupid.

I think you misconstrued my comment. Tony has a history of "borrowing content" from other channels to give his input. ( THATS what I was referring to) it was a bit of a joke, but true. A recent example is the video of the "600HP 318" failure. It was someone elses engine, he made a video explaining his theory is the timing chain was to tight, and it broke the block after 2 years. He was wrong, as usual, that's my point. Tony should stick to his own content, like how to build a slant six that wont last one 1/8th pass without breaking. Or how to spend 5 years on a turd 318 that also brakes down every trip to the track. As far as knowing me as a person? You have never met me, so that part of your comment is baseless and absurd.
Maybe I did and I apologize if I did.

Quora is full of kids asking how to "just add a turbo". Most who use "just" are gomers. Besides the plumbing complication, factory turbo engines are specially designed, usually with forged pistons, special connecting rods, and under-piston oil sprayers to survive the higher thrust and combustion temperatures. Safest is to add boost simply to overcome pressure drops in the intake, particularly for an engine with restricted flow like a slant-six. Even with a factory turbo engine, it is risky to fool with the boost controls to increase pressure. I'll wait for electric boosters to get better and cheaper since an easier install.

I'm surprised that 5.9L engines are becoming rare. Thank "Cash for Clunkers", though I'm not sure those "destroyed" engines can't be rebuilt with an overbore and crankshaft grind (if undersized bearings exist to match). Perhaps 5.2L are still ample. The future of retrofit might be in Chevy LS engine (plus tranny), though not near as simple a swap into a small-block Mopar.

-
Back