225 High Performance Engine / 904 Trans / 2 1/2 Inch Pypes exhaust - What Is It Worth

-

Rover125

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Trying to determine a fair price to advertise the 225 High Performance Engine / 904 Trans / 2 1/2 Inch Pypes exhaust + Extras. Not looking to get rich off the deal, but would like people on FABO only to get me a good asking price for the following. Thanks in advance for any input before I list it here on this site!
225 Slant 6 High Performance Engine

Bored .060 – Block Hot Tanked / Magnaflux / Sonic Tested

New flat top pistons 10 to 1 / rods / bearings / rings

New remanded Large Cam – Solid Lifter

New crank – 10&10

New oil pump

Aussiespeed Hurricane 4 Barrel Intake

Dutra Cast Iron Dual Headers AS0567

Quick Fuel Technology SL-450 VS Slayer 4-barrel carb

2 ½ Inch Pypes Exhaust System – Street Pro Mufflers – 69 Dart

904 Manual Valve / Shift body Transmission

Included: 2 Barrel Intake and Carb
I purchased the 1969 Dodge Dart in June 2020. Previous owner had engine completely rebuilt with approximately 50 miles on the rebuild. He found a Charger that he wanted for his collection and put the car up for sale. I met with the engine builder prior to purchase to discuss and confirm the build. Unfortunately, receipts were not maintained. The information listed is what he recalled during the rebuild. I later installed the Aussiespeed intake, Dutra Dual Headers and Four-barrel carb. The engine now has approximately 500 miles from the re-build. Car taken to shows and Sunday drives. The engine oil has always been Brad Penn with zinc.

For those who think a 225 can’t make power are mistaken. The Dart with this engine has been a blast to drive. Very fast for a six cylinder. My Mopar buddies have driven the car and have always been very impressed. With the 2 ½ exhaust and large cam, most people think it is a V8 until I open the hood. Since I was a kid, always wanted a 340 car. Going to make the upgrade

225.jpg

225 - 2.jpg

225 - 3.jpg

225 - 5.jpg

People will want to know exactly and I mean EXACTLY HOW you got 10:1 compression. Since these engines all blueprinted down in the 7s for compression from the factory, there are only a couple of ways. One way of course, is by HEAVILY milling the head and or block. And I mean HEAVILY. I have one I'm running right now that is a blueprinted 10.2:1. I had about .175" milled off the head. It was really an accident, don't ask. lol And that's with the stock pistons sitting .175 down in the hole at TDC.

Way #2 is to use the Chrysler 2.2 pistons (or the Wiseco forged pistons) and the 198 rods that are 7.005" long.....or the K1 or Molnar 7.005 length rods. Those are about the only two ways to achieve that kind of compression.

So if neither of those is part of your build, I have bad news. It's not 10:1, probably not even close. But now that doesn't mean squat as for power output. Power is much more dependent on the sum of the parts. The combination. I'm telling you all of this, because perspective buyers will want to know the details, so you need to have that info ready.

People will also want to know the lift and duration specs on the cam, or a MFG and part number.

Thank you. You have replied to my questions in the past. I do not want to mis-represent a sale in anyway. Would it be okay to send you an individual message so I can list the engine correctly?

To me that's gonna be a hard sale, you didn't mention any head work like valves porting etc.. all you know that your getting forsure is a intake and exhaust, with a compression test I'd probably pay $1000 at best, can't see anyone paying $2000+, start somewhat high you could always lower the price.

well what i see dutra duals $(800) Intake ($400) Exhaust pipes ($150) offy Valve Cover($150) Carb ($250)thats not including the frame the engine and trans i say you can get atleast 1500-2000

well what i see dutra duals $(800) Intake ($400) Exhaust pipes ($150) offy Valve Cover($150) Carb ($250)thats not including the frame the engine and trans i say you can get atleast 1500-2000
Right. That's close to my estimate.....and then if he cannot verify anything with the engine, a fair core price to add to the rest. But if he can, then he can probably get more. It helps his quest too that the slant 6 is enjoying a resurgence. They are kinda coming back into vogue again. With it sitting on the K frame and the transmission attached, it's not far from running for a prospective buyer.

From the pic's looks like you could set it up to be running on the ground making it easier for people to part with their money.

Rule of thumb- add up the cost of the parts and then cut in half.

Rule of thumb- add up the cost of the parts and then cut in half.
i generally agree with this but in the case where some of the parts are specialty a little more consideration has to go that way, such in the case of that intake and the dutra duals. i'm not saying full pop on used parts but for something unique or difficult to source i'd veer toward a 20~25% hair cut on those bits.

the rest of that could be considered a core unless some type of verification on the components could be established.

honestly you could probably part it and get 12~1500 pretty easy or sell it complete and get 1500 adding in the K and suspension with trans & exhaust might push 2 for the right person.

set it up running on a stand you should be able to get 3200 with the dutra/induction/exhaust if your not in a hurry to sell. i sold one for 2800 6 years ago, the head was worked and a 1600$ torque converter offy + 390 holley+crane 220dur cam.
also, when was the last time you heard someone get all that stuff for 50% price when you looking for it, i call total bs...

"Rule of thumb".
For that super specialized and hard to find stuff maybe closer to 75% but I wouldn't go near 90.

With the 2 ½ exhaust and large cam, most people think it is a V8 until I open the hood.
Looks nice but good luck. There is no way anyone would think a /6 sounds like a V8. The /6 has a VERY distinctive exhaust note. Not a bad thing but just saying... no way.

There is no way anyone would think a /6 sounds like a V8. The /6 has a VERY distinctive exhaust note. Not a bad thing but just saying... no way.
Yes way. I've heard \6s that sounded very V8-like, and all it takes to make a V8 sound like an inline motor is a set of 180-degree headers.

I think you meant to say I've never heard a \6 that sounds like a V8, right?

Nope I typed what I wanted to say. I can tell the difference. Some do sound close but I can tell the difference. The /6 just sound unique.

I cant see it making more then 500 bucks
Id imagine anyone looking to spend more then that on an engine will want, well, more engine

If you want to make a little money on it, piecing it out would be the way to go

I have someone almost every time we drive Vixen to town ask if it's a 318 or 340. Without fail. Some of them are seasoned car guys.

i generally agree with this but in the case where some of the parts are specialty a little more consideration has to go that way, such in the case of that intake and the dutra duals. i'm not saying full pop on used parts but for something unique or difficult to source i'd veer toward a 20~25% hair cut on those bits.

the rest of that could be considered a core unless some type of verification on the components could be established.

honestly you could probably part it and get 12~1500 pretty easy or sell it complete and get 1500 adding in the K and suspension with trans & exhaust might push 2 for the right person.
Consider what it would cost to replicate this engine and transmission assembly. The machine work on the block, crank and head with parts is probably $1500 to $2000. Then the intake, exhaust aftermarket components and it is just barely to be considered broken in. $2000 would be pretty reasonable but may be on the low side.

Some of yall are missing the fact he has around 1500 bucks worth of induction and exhaust. The entire exhaust system is included here. If he can set up on the K member as a run stand, that would help him greatly.

Consider what it would cost to replicate this engine and transmission assembly. The machine work on the block, crank and head with parts is probably $1500 to $2000. Then the intake, exhaust aftermarket components and it is just barely to be considered broken in. $2000 would be pretty reasonable but may be on the low side.
oh that was certainly taken into consideration. i know what machine work costs and it's not cheap. however, if you're selling something used like a motor or transmission labor actions such as that are sunk costs. "rebuilt" will add to the appeal and may bump the price up but you're not getting full book back on stuff like that.

the intake and exhaust are the real diamond in the goat's *** here and people are still having a hard time moving complete /6 setups.

if i was in the market or knew one of my clients would want something like this down the line i'd probably jump on it. but at that price point it's too much of a gamble for not enough ROI. but if you had a roller and wanted a hot slant setup this would be the jam and one hell of a deal.

oh that was certainly taken into consideration. i know what machine work costs and it's not cheap. however, if you're selling something used like a motor or transmission labor actions such as that are sunk costs. "rebuilt" will add to the appeal and may bump the price up but you're not getting full book back on stuff like that.

the intake and exhaust are the real diamond in the goat's *** here and people are still having a hard time moving complete /6 setups.

if i was in the market or knew one of my clients would want something like this down the line i'd probably jump on it. but at that price point it's too much of a gamble for not enough ROI. but if you had a roller and wanted a hot slant setup this would be the jam and one hell of a deal.
You are looking at this in a different light. You would want yo flip it for profit, thus looking to lowball the seller. You know what the cost would be to duplicate this assembly. Machine shop time, new engine parts and assembly. From the dedcription the trans is in working order as it seems to be driving at the time of removal to install a 340. Then the intake, carb and complete exhaust. I think $5000 would not do the build. Seller is looking for a fair price recommendation.
To the OP, check into what the machining costs would be, with new overhaul parts. What was done to the head, ground valves and seats or new valves, guides and seats? Then research the replacrment costs for the intake, carb and exhaust manifolds. Then there would be the cost to do the dual to single 2 1/2" exhaust. And the transmission cost for a rebuilt. Might need to be patient to find a person considering doing a build like this for themself. Being almost broken in, I would consider starting at 75% of the cost to replicate what you have. This gives a little room to come down a bit. Do not let the lowballers and part it out contingent brow beat you. For the right person they will get a running engine to drop in with minimal time involved. You get a reasonable price for what you have.

-
Back