225 Max Performance Recipe?

-
I guess this type argument can be found on FBBO involving the poly 318, aka wide block, yes it costs considerable more to build, than an A engine
I disagree!
I took out the B/RB but they could be included.
HOWEVER!!!!!!
Cast replacement pistons are inexpensive. Forged slugs would be pricey.
There are off the shelf cams readily available from Crane Cams & Racer Brown to name a pair of places.

The intake manifolds are being held hostage by hoarders! That’s a major problem.
Headers by tti are the only game in town. At least there good headers.
Those are the expensive things and the tti’s are worth it. Not so much the intakes. CCP has a new intake for the Poly. $$$

Last edited:
I disagree!
I took out the B/RB but they could be included.
HOWEVER!!!!!!
Cast replacement pistons are inexpensive. Forged slugs would be pricey.
There are off the shelf cams readily available from Crane Cams & Racer Brown to name a pair of places.

The intake manifolds are being held hostage by hoarders! That’s a major problem.
Headers by tti are the only game in town. At least there good headers.
Those are the expensive things and the tti’s are worth it. Not so much the intakes. CCP has a new intake for the Poly. $$$

What I was saying basically is the CCP has developed aftermarket heads, intake, etc etc , ,, the poly 318 can make pretty impresssive power, but not a cheap as maybe the 360, or big blocks... or maybe it can . Dunno. But the people that put these $$ into the poly, love that engine, sorta like people that put $$ in a slant ,where they would make more power with a 360 for less $....
So many people just don't get why spend money on a poly 318 in in a car that was born with that engine....why not stick in a B or RB motor.. They ask...

Sorta like why would anyone keep a slant in a 70 Duster when you make more power by sticking in a small block.. They ask.

Some people will never get it>???

Ahhhhh, was m not getting it now.
I see nothing wrong with building whatever you want to build. Your dollars your choice.

I went through this same dilema. I went with pulling the slant, and having a 360/408 built. 543 hp all in before 6000 rpm. It wasn't a budget build. I wish I would have stuck with the slant with a Torqstrom. Indecision is how I roll.

Shave the head, bigger valves, headers, cam, 4 bbl,electronic ignition, on and on.
Then watch a stock 318 dust it.

Shave the head, bigger valves, headers, cam, 4 bbl,electronic ignition, on and on.

Not necessarily. My 66 Valiant was built for $1500, including buying the car. First weekend out, we were running high 13's. I don't know of any stock 318 that will do that. Modified, yes. I now have about $2500 in the car, and have run 7.80's in the 1/8. Haven't run the 1/4 with this setup.

Not necessarily. My 66 Valiant was built for $1500, including buying the car. First weekend out, we were running high 13's. I don't know of any stock 318 that will do that. Modified, yes. I now have about $2500 in the car, and have run 7.80's in the 1/8. Haven't run the 1/4 with this setup.

The OP needs your receipe!! Or the one you followed! I think we would all agree that $ for $, a 318 will make more power than the slant as will a 360 make more than the 318 $ for$.......as will any B RB engine make more power than a poly 318 , $ FOR $. But some of us being different and can afford (not ME! ha).to spend the $ doing so.
If I was doing an early B body I would love being financially able to build a powerful wide block 318 using ll the latest and greatest from CPPA!!! Sure I know I could build any B ,RB engine for les and make more power.
My approach is make a list of all parts I would encounter with my receipe for whatever build,. shop for prices and add it all up!! Or actually I have always had several Mopars, so if I have one with a decent running SB, and some others with slants, I am in the best of all worlds!!! Just me, but i am old and a little crazy..

So your saying a stock slant in a 66 valiant runs high 13s?

So your saying a stock slant in a 66 valiant runs high 13s?
Not at all. I'm saying a stock 318, will not beat my low dollar slant six. I have done quite a lot to my car, but almost all is low dollar stuff.
I am reffering to Johnny Dart.

Charlie S said
Not necessarily. My 66 Valiant was built for $1500, including buying the car. First weekend out, we were running high 13's. I don't know of any stock 318 that will do that. Modified, yes. I now have about $2500 in the car, and have run 7.80's in the 1/8. Haven't run the 1/4 with this setup..

Op has a 73 Swinger, a tank compared to your car.How about put three overweight old guys in your 66 and try that again.

Or for a reality check, put that stock 318 into your 66, dress it up the same as your slanty, and try that.
And be sure to run apples to apples

Last edited:

With all due respect, I heard your same story for years Charlie. $1500.00 car, yada yada.
Im speaking of my own experience. /6 .100 off the head, oversize valves, Erson Cam, Clifford intake/headers, Ede 500, all the .org tricks,on and on.
Stock 318 1970 Dart, Ede Performer, Ede 600, 340 hipo exhaust, electronic ignition. 318 Dart would wax my 65 slant car. Period.
I

Car pics 004.jpg

Picture 498.jpg

Last edited:
Stock 318 1970 Dart, Ede Performer, Ede 600, 340 hipo exhaust, electronic ignition. 318 Dart would wax my 65 slant car. Period.

Yep, I believethat. I was just disputing the statement, that a stock 318 would beat a slant with mods.
My wife had a 74 Dart, daily driver, with a 318 (100,000 miles), added a LD4B and Holley from a 440 engine, and a 100 nitrous plate. Took it to the track, opened the single exhaust, short tire, with a 2.9x rear, and ran high 13's.
My point is you don't need to spend big bucks to have fun, and be quick.
Remember the old saying, "The only thing better then cubic inches, is cubic money"?
Now it can be said, "the only thing better then cubic inches is more boost". :)

With all due respect, I heard your same story for years Charlie. $1500.00 car, yada yada.
Im speaking of my own experience. /6 .100 off the head, oversize valves, Erson Cam, Clifford intake/headers, Ede 500, all the .org tricks,on and on.
I

View attachment 1715122258

View attachment 1715122259
Looks like a really nice '65, what MPH did it make in the 1/4?

Yep, I believethat. I was just disputing the statement, that a stock 318 would beat a slant with mods.
My wife had a 74 Dart, daily driver, with a 318 (100,000 miles), added a LD4B and Holley from a 440 engine, and a 100 nitrous plate. Took it to the track, opened the single exhaust, short tire, with a 2.9x rear, and ran high 13's.
My point is you don't need to spend big bucks to have fun, and be quick.
Remember the old saying, "The only thing better then cubic inches, is cubic money"?
Now it can be said, "the only thing better then cubic inches is more boost". :)

And I even have that rarer than hens teeth, Mopar steel shim head gasket I got from you Charlie ! :)

Last edited:
I think there should be a sticky disclaimer
For /6 and for 273/318 in sbm page. Telling all the reasons not to build one and if after that they still think thats how they want to spend their money, twice as much for half the performance. Then theres no reason not to as long as you know what your in for.

1st thing is some honest question for yourself. 1st being buget. Everything cost at least 2 x you think it will. 2nd driveability. 1 hp per cid to me is middle ground above street strip below daily driver. I see little point of building less than 0.8:1 hp:cid leaving power on the table for no reason.
If you got to go higher than 1:1 your building too small of an engine or be willing to go with a more street strip setup. 3rd how much gear and stall you willing to go with.

Small engines need deep gears to be competitive with larger engines or even to be mildly fun.

Take 3.55 the average performance gear.
At 20 mph you'll be reving about 2500 rpm.
My 360 makes about 180 hp there. About as much as a warmed up /6 at probably 5000rpm +. Even if we have both 300hp engines the /6 at 2500 is probably making 90hp., half of me. Id pull away so hard on ya.
Say you had to hit 3500 rpm to be at the same 180 hp at 20 mph. You would need 5.74:1 = the main reason for no replacement for displacement.

If your goal is to have a fun little /6 nothing wrong with that but if to beat some low performer V8 you got an up hill battle.

For what its worth I was recently told the up and coming cars to look out for are numbers matching 6 cylinders . I'm assuming probably more Chevy than anything else but if you think about it original 6cyl cars have disappeared quite a bit . Just something to think about

If you have a extra $8000 laying around, TorqStorm mentioned above,makes a supercharger set up for the Slant.Looks impressive, but most guys interested in Slants have shallow pockets. www.torqstorm.com

If you have a extra $8000 laying around, TorqStorm mentioned above,makes a supercharger set up for the Slant.Looks impressive, but most guys interested in Slants have shallow pockets. www.torqstorm.com
Torqstorm with a Gil welding EFI intake manifold would be a very interesting combo. Good injectors would cure the fuel starvation I've heard the torque set up has.

For what its worth I was recently told the up and coming cars to look out for are numbers matching 6 cylinders . I'm assuming probably more Chevy than anything else but if you think about it original 6cyl cars have disappeared quite a bit . Just something to think about

Could be. You should see the mint 25k mile 65 chevy 2 for sale here. Inline 6 and a glide. Priced like a v8 thats forsure. But...you know appraisers...

-
Back