225 starts but won't run

-

WhyteRoots

Reaction score
'67 Valiant with 225 and 3 on-the-tree: engine starts with the key in start position but, when you let go of the key, the engine quits. I pulled the ignition switch out of my '62 Valiant and tried it in the '67 but the same problem persists. What's up?

Yup

In all these cars, you have a separate contact on the ignition switch which is hot ONLY in start. This feeds power only one place---direct to the coil. Ma calls this "IGN2" and it's traditionally brown.

When you release the key, the ignition "should" get powered from "ignition run" or IGN 1" which is traditionally dark blue. If the resistor is bad, you won't get power when in "run"

Its the ballast resistor. That white square box thing on the firewall next to the master cylinder. Should have 2 (or possibly 4) wires connecting to it and they pull straight out. I never did find out if you can run them upside down or not? 67dart273 could tell us for sure.

Ditto, ballast resistor. Always carry a spare one in the glove compartment. In a roadside emergency, you can jumper 12 V straight to coil+. It will run ~5 min before the coil over-heats and you start getting mis-fire. Let it cool down and go another 5 min, then wish you had a spare.

I never did find out if you can run them upside down or not? 67dart273 could tell us for sure.

The connectors have a pin on them , that fit into holes in the resistor,, so the connectors can only go on one way.. because the two resistors are different..

th

hope it helps

I believe his '67 Valiant will have the older single ballast resistor. Does not matter what end connects to which wire on the single unit.

The later 2 section ballast have different resistance values in each half if I recall correctly, so should not be reversed.

Thanks guys. Your answers are so consistent, you've got to be right. Will go hunting for a new ballast resistor and, meanwhile, will try to use the one out of my '62.

With a used ballast resistor, my Valiant started and ran like it was a summer day. Thanks for your quick answers.

-
Back