241 red ram hemi in a 64 dart 4 door

-

64dart440

dart 270 4 door
Reaction score
ok guys i know its crazy but im working a deal to get a 241 red ram hemi to stuff im my old girl she is a 64 dart 270 4 door i love it to death and i need tips on how to help the old car support the weight i was doing a 440 swap but i like to be different i have larger torsion bars already and plan to mount it to the frame and not the k member but i will strengthen the k member and i found the adapter plate for a sb 727 i am thinking about tube steal from the front to behind the dash any help would be great im excited to get her going and it was a 170 slant 6 i put a 225 in then is slung a rod on #6 so time to go big well kinda :prayer::burnout:

Maybe you could weld plates the length of the frame to strengthen it up.Then add frame connectors.
Jim

ok guys i know its crazy but im working a deal to get a 241 red ram hemi to stuff im my old girl she is a 64 dart 270 4 door i love it to death and i need tips on how to help the old car support the weight i was doing a 440 swap but i like to be different i have larger torsion bars already and plan to mount it to the frame and not the k member but i will strengthen the k member and i found the adapter plate for a sb 727 i am thinking about tube steal from the front to behind the dash any help would be great im excited to get her going and it was a 170 slant 6 i put a 225 in then is slung a rod on #6 so time to go big well kinda :prayer::burnout:

Is your 241 complete? I have one that I was considering a swap in my 61 Lancer wagon. Decided not to do it.

The Low Deck Dodge is actually about the same weight as a 383, and physically not much larger. It's an EXCELLENT choice for a A body swap, providing you have one of the blocks with motor mount ears cast into the side. The earlier ones had a cradle that mounted under the front of the engine, and so there were no ears.

the one i am getting is complete and redone and i am not sure about the mounts i will have to check and the bad thing about it being 4 doors is i have to make frame connectors

So you're putting a 1950's motor in a 1960's Valiant so you can join the Rat Rod Revolution?

the one i am getting is complete and redone and i am not sure about the mounts i will have to check and the bad thing about it being 4 doors is i have to make frame connectors
Not to hard to do. I made them for my 63'. You just have to decide whether to cut the floors and bury them or run them parallel to the floor. I did the later otherwise I would of had to hack up the bottom of the rear seat. I used 2x3 3/16 mild steel tube and 3/16 plate front and rear. Don't forget about you E brake. If you plan to use it plan ahead. I have a ton of photos when your ready. Just ask. Sounds like a fun project! Good luck! You should start a build thread. I'm subscribed. :cheers:
Larry

You're TOTALLY not going to need frame connectors for this swap. The motor doesn't weigh enough, and it's not going to make enough torque to have to worry about tying the frame together.

So you're putting a 1950's motor in a 1960's Valiant so you can join the Rat Rod Revolution?

Stuck in that box, eh? Have you spent much time around the early Hemi engines...especially the Dodge and DeSoto versions? These engines are made from SUPER high quality materials and are geometric masterpieces. Minor porting goes a long long way, and in dead stock form they are capable of supporting many times their intended power levels. These things laugh at blowers and nitrous. Back in the day, T/F guys would drag these engines out of the junkyard, slip a cam in, bolt their blowers and mags on, 90% in the tank, and they'd go 10,000 RPM and 200+ MPH run after run without ever pulling the pan off. Early Hemi's are AMAZING engines. Learn a bit about them before you write them off as Rat Rod material.

You put subframe connectors so you can open the door if 1 corner is jacked up. It also stops quite a few rattles that you just can't seem to find. As far as the motor, to each his own. Myself would use a small block of some nature.

Growing up in the 60's had a buddy that had a 52 DeSoto that had a hemi with 2 -2 bbl from the factory with 3 on the tree.That car would flat get it and surprised the heck out of many a 57 Chevy/Ford on the street.

As far as the motor, to each his own. Myself would use a small block of some nature.

See, the Early Hemi is the most misunderstood engine in the whole world of Mopardom. They ARE Small blocks. Ever wonder where the odd lifter angle on the LA engine comes from? It's direct ancestor is the Poly, and the Poly evolved from the Hemi.
The Early Hemi has the same motor mount ears, same trans bolt pattern, takes the same timing set, and oil pumps as the Small Block. As for physical block size, a Dodge is slightly smaller and lighter than an LA, the DeSoto is exactly the same size and the Chrysler is slightly larger. Think of the engine he is considering using as a long stroke, small bore LA with hemispherical heads, because that is exactly what it is!

Stuck in that box, eh? Have you spent much time around the early Hemi engines...especially the Dodge and DeSoto versions? These engines are made from SUPER high quality materials and are geometric masterpieces. Minor porting goes a long long way, and in dead stock form they are capable of supporting many times their intended power levels. These things laugh at blowers and nitrous. Back in the day, T/F guys would drag these engines out of the junkyard, slip a cam in, bolt their blowers and mags on, 90% in the tank, and they'd go 10,000 RPM and 200+ MPH run after run without ever pulling the pan off. Early Hemi's are AMAZING engines. Learn a bit about them before you write them off as Rat Rod material.

I think I've spent my early life around them on Sundays when I drove a dragster in the early 60's..

As far as installing one in my Signet, I don't think about it, yet I do think nostalgia needs great brakes and very strong front suspension mods and a bankroll of monies for sedation..

OK, funny Hemi story. Long ago a short slightly heavy mechanic was pulling a hemi head from a older car and his feet slipped. He was rocking over the fender and his co-workers couldn't stop laughing and help him catch the head so he would not hurt his fingers. He was not happy about it and failed to see the humor, guess they watched the 3 stoges show too much.

See, the Early Hemi is the most misunderstood engine in the whole world of Mopardom. They ARE Small blocks. Ever wonder where the odd lifter angle on the LA engine comes from? It's direct ancestor is the Poly, and the Poly evolved from the Hemi.
The Early Hemi has the same motor mount ears, same trans bolt pattern, takes the same timing set, and oil pumps as the Small Block. As for physical block size, a Dodge is slightly smaller and lighter than an LA, the DeSoto is exactly the same size and the Chrysler is slightly larger. Think of the engine he is considering using as a long stroke, small bore LA with hemispherical heads, because that is exactly what it is!

In fact, unless "you're expert" it's a little tough to tell a poly block from an LA block just looking. Some guys have made this mistake swapping a rebuilt short block

In fact, unless "you're expert" it's a little tough to tell a poly block from an LA block just looking. Some guys have made this mistake swapping a rebuilt short block

There's no problem using a Plymouth Poly block when building up an A motor. Those engines tend to have very thick cylinder walls, and I know of one that was poked all the way out to 4.040 (That's .150 over!) and lived on the street for a long time.
Dodge and Chrysler Poly blocks will interchange with their Hemi counterparts, but only the Plymouth will take LA parts.

hey thanks guys all this info is a huge help keep it coming and anyone think a 2.94 (i think thats what the add said) would work for the rear end i wanna drive it almost everyday and still get in a run or two in the weekends and it not eat me alive on gas but still put a hurt on these little hondas and crap you see around all military bases

Yea, I'm not sure why you would want to go through the trouble with the 241ci motor either - other than the "coolness" factor. Keep in mind this motor only put out 140hp which is about what the 225 /6 made.. Performance parts are also very difficult to find and expensive for this motor. If you are fixed on having a first gen hemi in your ride you may want to look for later Chrysler hemi to build. Lots more power even in stock mode and far more performance options available. I know where there is a 56' Desoto 330ci for sale. Needs a rebuild but it looked complete from top to bottom with accessories.

its more for the cool factor and this motor has had work done already and im not looking for 600 hp just a quick fun car and what do they want for the 330

He's asking $1500 for it. Told me he pulled it from a 56 Desoto years ago to put in some other car and it's been sitting in his garage ever since.

-
Back