27 Years...And Now It's Gone

-

ocdart

Inland Mopars Car Club
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Tonight I sold my 1983 15th Anniversary Hurst Olds (1 of 3001) and watched it roll away on the back of a flatbed. I drove that car out of the dealers showroom 27 years ago next month.
The two good things about this are:
1. The funds will help finish my '69 Dart, and
2. It was bought by a guy to give to his brother for his birthday. The family already owns two other '83 Hurst Olds and two '84 Hurst Olds. So at least I feel like it went to somebody who will give it the TLC it needs to be restored.
But it still feels almost like losing a member of the family.
It had been sitting in my driveway for the past couple of years and one of my neighbors complained to the city about it (you can't store a vehicle in your driveway where I live).
So now the neighbor will be happy for a little while. Only a little while 'cause there's gonna be Hell to pay once my Dart is done - it's gonna be noisy with open headers! Maybe I'll wait until the morning after they've had a party!

No don't do that put on some quick slip on mufflers and then let the car reach op temp, pull mufflers off and rev that bad boy up to full redline! Also do this when you won't get in trouble with the cops. So if that time is let's say 7am, then do it at 7:01 am.

sorry for your loss...but nothing lasts forever. The good news is the dart has your focus.
ALSO everybody has a neighbor of the same caliber as yours, god knows I do! in fact I have 2 of such caliber..... they call the police when I blink too loud, when my dog poops in my yard, when my power garage door opens after 10 pm and every time a car club friend visits me with their car and every time I start my classic.....sad part is...the cops come every time, taking them away from watching our streets and guarding us against real criminals..... they never really do anything they just come and oogle the cars then leave.....oh they did give me a ticket for disturbing the peace because my 9lb minpin Zeus was barking at the cop who stood at my gate in front of the dog for 20 mins!!
just something to think about

it has been like 4 years ago, but i almost bought i believe was a 84 olds hurst, that had like 3 shifter handles. called ligtening rods or something. it was turn key, but a little too much rust for me at the time. lady wanted 1,800.00 for it

I had a '84 I think it was Olds 442 T-top car. I picked it up off the OE owner for a song. It was a nightmare on mileage. So, when I decided to sell it, a Olds nut came and got it. When I seen the first owner again some time later, he inquired. He was intailly upset until I said a Olds nut came and got it. Truly overjoyed at the car. That made the first owner happy That I wouldn't sell it to just anybody. For me, I was happy that a car nut and Olds fan got it. He was stoked at the condition and after going over the car and under the car, he had this killer grin and yep, this is it, this is the car.

OCDART,
I have a 65 Olds 4-4-2 that was my first car. Bought it the beginning of my senior year in high school. This past Sept marks the 40th year of ownership. Even my wife understands that she would be gone before that car would. Sorry for your loss, but as you said, it sounds like its going to a good home. L8r

Jim

I like the idea of waiting for a long night party from the neighbors that complained and wake up at the crack of dawn and fire the Dart up :-D
Sounds like you let your old friend move on to her next life :happy10:
I know how you feel, but look at the bright side 8) you will be getting your dart moving forward :cheers:

I bet that was tough to see it go, after all those years, especially buying it new. Feeling your pain!

I have a police officer friend, who stops by a lot to see what I am working on and to shoot the breeze.

A few years ago, he bought one from his cousin (IIRC) out in California with almost no miles, beautiful car. He has now built an additional garage for it, and has become an avid hobbiest with the car, collecting a LOT of spare parts.

I sent him a link to your thread, hoping he will post some pictures.

It's good when you sell a car to someone who will appreciate it rather than someone who will let it rot away.

I sold my 71 Chevelle a couple of years ago when I was short of money. It was about halfway through its restoration, but it found a good home. I saw it a couple of weeks ago and the current owner is doing a first class restoration on it. The front suspension is upgraded to Hotchkiss components with Baer discs and tubular control arms. The frame has been powdercoated and a Ford nine inch has been installed in the back end, with discs also. In other words, the guy is doing the things I wish I had the money to do.

Selling the Chevelle freed up my time and I'm now in year two of a restoration of a 71 Demon that's owned by our church. I liked my Chevelle a lot, but I'm getting too old to be restoring full frame cars. They're a lot more work than these Mopars. These A bodies are nice and simple.

i felt a tear roll down my cheek as i watched my cuda leaving the driveway after owning for 15 years. but you still got a dart!

I know how you feel. I sold my Dart race car last year. I got that car in High school,( I'm now 51) Got real teary eyed when the trailer pulled away.

I know how you feel. I sold my Dart race car last year. I got that car in High school,( I'm now 51) Got real teary eyed when the trailer pulled away.

This is actually the 2nd car I've sold that hit me hard, but honestly the 1st one was the hardest. It was my first '69 Dart, a 340 Swinger I'd stupidly cut to make a race car out of back in the late '70s. I had to take a walk after that one pulled away on the trailer because it wouldn't have been good to walk back in the house all teary-eyed.
Both my first Dart and this H/O stayed with me, along with the kids and the house, through my divorce back in '85.

Here you go, chryslerfat, here's what I said 'goodbye' to last night.

Attachments

• P9121593_edited (Small).JPG
    87.9 KB · Views: 98
  • P8290523_edited (Small).JPG
    67.8 KB · Views: 107
-
Back