273 Commando Engine Clone

-

MonkeyTrev

Reaction score
I own a 65 Barracuda that had a 273 commando engine. I very stupidly pulled that motor and sold it 2 years ago. I am now regretting my decision of selling the commando engine. I have had no luck online locating another commando engine. I was curious about buying a base 273 engine and building it into a commando clone. What was different on the 2bbl 273 and the 4bbl commando engines (obviously the carb, valve covers, air cleaner, and intake)?

pistons/ comp ratio is different as well as camshaft that's where most of the power comes from.

You can probably get a 2bbl piston cam today that will give you the 235HP of the 4bbl, don't know about the torque. You can build a 318 with the 273-4's torque and the HP and dress it with all the 273 bling.. grind the 318 casting off the side...only you will know the CID.

You can probably get a 2bbl piston cam today that will give you the 235HP of the 4bbl, don't know about the torque. You can build a 318 with the 273-4's torque and the HP and dress it with all the 273 bling.. grind the 318 casting off the side...only you will know the CID.
What would the Commando Cam by itself add to a 2bbl piston motor?

What would the Commando Cam by itself add to a 2bbl piston motor?
The cam is the brains of the engine. Higher lift, longer duration etc equals more power. Sure the carb would be a restriction but how much????

Did the 273 not have casting numbers ? My father has a few 318 blocks laying around his shop.

Here is a 273 Commando Engine that I saw at the show today.

The owner said it was a factory 10:1 compression engine, factory single plane 4 bbl intake. And he said that all 273s came with solid lifters / adjustable rockers.

20220226_103548.jpg

You can build a 318 with the 273-4's torque and the HP and dress it with all the 273 bling.. grind the 318 casting off the side...only you will know the CID.

Hell, do a 360 with some mild intake porting on the 273 int, cam it properly and have a Commando torque monster :thumbsup:

Factory single plane ? Educate me pls

A single plane manifold pulls from the carb plenum on the same level, all cylinders pulling from the same pot of air.

The dual plane manifolds, have 2 different levels that separate opposing cylinders, to keep them from drawing the fuel mix to 2 cylinders at the same time.

Dual plane intakes run nice on the lower rpm range, and work well for the low end torque. Better Drivability

Single plane intakes work well for high rpm engines.

That would be cheating. It's all about the underdog. We like our little 273's.
I’m kinda wanting to do a what if build on my 65 cuda. A what if Plymouth went Trans Am racing and used the 65 Barracuda. I’m looking at building a high reving 273 commando/ 4spd.

-
Back