273 Commando

-

carpart67

Reaction score
Hey I was wodering if anyone has stories or tips having to do with the 273 Commando? My car is equiped with this engine,I have some people asking if thats a V8 or a 6CYL, and some people who say that they could beat a Chev 350 with their Commando. As you can see I get quite a broad range of responses when I tell people its a 273 so I was just wondering if anyones got any good stories or anything?

I have an E code 67 Dart GT that while it isnt the strongest on the bottom end. It will turn the tach to the moon and lay down mid 13s all day long. When I put the 3:23s in for long cruises it will bury the speedo in second gear and I havent had the nerve to wind it out in third. But it loves to sail along at 100 with the air on. Drop it down to second,mash the pedal,and I wave bye bye. :cya: The 273 may not be a brut but it holds its own pretty well and loves to sing. :) (at least this one can)

Nice fish ! I had a 67 Formula S with a 273 4speed. it was to far gone to fix though.

Ya, too bad you couldnt save it. Unfortunatly mines not a Formula S ..its also an auto (for the time being). I couldnt handle the coloum shift thought..B&M Star shifter and manual shifting all the way!! :cheers:

I haven't seen a Commando-engine
When I was a kid, the guys I ran around with all liked cars too. We would trick our parents or older brothers into taking us somewhere to look at cars. We got to do this about every 2-3 weeks. One Sat. we went to the wrecking yard. Under a tarp I saw just part of a valve cover. Asked the guy what it was and he said "That's the engine out of Sweed Kihlstadius' Barracuda, hit a horse and killed it". That was the most beautiful engine I had ever seen.
check out the picture in carpart67's album.
That's a sweet little ride you got. Glad to have ya on the board. Ray

The 273 Commando motor was the high performance version of the 273 LA small block V8.

It was rated at 235HP verse the 180 of the standard 273.

The Comando came with a solid cam (the adjustable rockers are popular for use in other LA builds), a single plane iron 4bbl manifold, 4bbl and a low restiction single exhaust. Where the standard 273 had a hydraulic cam and 2bbl intake/carb.

When the 318LA was introduced in 68 it produced 230HP with a 2bbl and the 273 was quickly forgotten.

NOTE: in 67 Mopar produced a limited production race version of the 273 Commanda rated at 275HP. It came with headers, bigger cam and a 700cfm 4bbl.

dgc333 said:
NOTE: in 67 Mopar produced a limited production race version of the 273 Commanda rated at 275HP. It came with headers, bigger cam and a 700cfm 4bbl.

Actually that was 65 or 66. Not 67 and was only available in athe Dart. 4.88 gears and a 4 -speed :D

Hey I was wodering if anyone has stories or tips having to do with the 273 Commando? My car is equiped with this engine,I have some people asking if thats a V8 or a 6CYL, and some people who say that they could beat a Chev 350 with their Commando. As you can see I get quite a broad range of responses when I tell people its a 273 so I was just wondering if anyones got any good stories or anything?
If you have a Formula S Cuda running good...a 350 Chevy stock would be no sweat. My first 66 Dart would eat up most everything in the 1/8. I ran a 4:89 gear. Heavy springs on the valves will give you 800 more rpm. This is a must do. Use the steel shim head gasket, but paint it first. I used black paint back in the day today I think they have a copper spray stuff that should work real good. Good luck.

The 273 Commando motor was the high performance version of the 273 LA small block V8.

It was rated at 235HP verse the 180 of the standard 273.

The Comando came with a solid cam (the adjustable rockers are popular for use in other LA builds), a single plane iron 4bbl manifold, 4bbl and a low restiction single exhaust. Where the standard 273 had a hydraulic cam and 2bbl intake/carb.

When the 318LA was introduced in 68 it produced 230HP with a 2bbl and the 273 was quickly forgotten.

I have a 273 2bbl from a 67 Cuda and same as my other 2bbl 273 engines it has solid lifters.

I have a Charger 273 in my 66 Dart. Dodge called their HP273 a "Charger" and Plymouth called theirs "Commando". Feel free to read through my engine build thread. (link below) There's a lot of photos you might find interesting.

Attachments

• engine 296.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 233
The 273 commando was an awesome package in its day running 8 sec 0-60 times & high 15 sec./low 16 sec. quarters stock with bias ply tires which was great for the mid 60's. Still the best looking factory setup bar none IMHO offered in that era. Have had my basically stock commando equipped 65 valiant down the 1/4 twice at car show fun runs & she ran a 16.2 then a 15.8 when i got a little more aggressive but these were done trying to preserve an already hurt 7 1/4 rear with tiny 14" radials. These little rascals are definitely underrated.

Oldschoolcuda

Attachments

• parts5 593.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 199
All 273 engines had solid lifters and adjustable rockers, base and Commando alike.
Hydrolic lifters appeared with 318.
The 273 may or may not out run a chevy 350. Entire vehicles race, not engines alone.
Vehicle weight, gearing, and others factors at play.

-
Back