273 Freshen...pic

-
It's been a while but should have the short block finished Fri...
The ridges have been removed on the cyl bores the block has been zero decked.
Thr trans has been painted...just some of the little things that make for a nice finished project...

surface2.jpg

trans1.jpg

trans2.jpg

trans3.jpg

That's awesome makes me wonder if i should do my 273 or 318?????? Anybody know how hard and expensive it is to get 273 parts?

God, where were you 3 years ago when I pulled my 273 out of my 67 barracuda and put in a 340. I love the 340, but to this day I 2nd guess myself. So the edie LD4b will work on the 273? That was one of my main issues.

will you guy's use 302 heads or just the stock 273 heads? I still have my 273 in my garage, it ran so nice and only has about 12,000 miles on it. I may end up using it someday.

Lookin good! A guy a know had a lil 273 with wiseco pistons,10.5 compression,.484 mp hydraulic cam,LD340 intake. That sucked sounded like a hi revving built 340.

Don't know why you're going to all this trouble,Vic drives like a little old lady,doesn't he?:-D

everything looks very nice!! Good job buddy! I like the little engines, 273, 318....I want to build another little ripper 318 in the future... (After I'm done with this very mild 318 I'm freshening up)...lol

Don't know why you're going to all this trouble,Vic drives like a little old lady,doesn't he?:-D

Yeah if she's from Pasadena & has a shiny red Superstock Dodge in her rickety old garage.:bootysha:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF5e5pvUkCQ&feature=related"]YouTube- Little Old Lady From Pasadena - Jan & Dean[/ame]

Yep the 273 is a sweet engine. I make sure I turn mine a few times a year in the garage just to keep it happy. One day maybe I will find a project to drop it in, I love that little engine.

The heads have been surfaced I probably have to give them another trip to the surfacer as the ex seats are not in yet and I don't have a final head cc.
I'll have to check how much more I can unshroud the valves when the Cometic's get here...Having big valves does nothing if they can't flow,unshrouding the valves makes a small valve flow more than a much larger valve that is closer to the chamber wall...
When that is all done I'll cc the chamber and remove what ever surface I'll need to compensate for the material I removed to unshroud to the max.
The crank is finished and it is absolutely straight with zero run out and machined to give me the brg clearance I need ***Nascar type of crank spec run out and clearance wise***

head.jpg

viccrank3.jpg

viccrank4.jpg

This brings back memories. Back when I was 14 I built the 273 that was originally in my turbodart. Actually twice, first time I didn't clearance the valve guides and bent and broke pushrods and somehow lost ring seal in one cylinder. Anyways I built the 273 because I couldn't afford a bigger motor, again lacked vision. It had 360 J-heads with 1.88 vavles, 8.5 to 1 compression, torker II 340 intake 650 DP carb, and a Erson Hi-flow I solid lifter cam @ .500 lift [email protected]. It ran low 14s at 99 mph and surprised a lot of people at the street races (stupid kid). I have always wanted to revisit the 273 and have a what if session.

Story time over, you have a great little engine here and it looks like your doing a real quality job. Good luck with it.

Looks good Rob. I was out today manually turning my crank in my 273 engine in the garage. Gotta keep the oil moving occasionally right. Let me tell you with 11:1 compression and plugs still in, manifold taped off to keep clean...that was a bloody shoulder workout! I really want to see and hear that engine when you are done. Keep up the great work!

Mark

I really want to see and hear that engine when you are done.

Mark

Mark..

It's not going to idle like some Modified Production car..No rockin and rollin but it will absolutely THUNDER out the tail pipes...it'll bark out the pipes..!!

It's got the right camshaft with the right lobes and the right compression ratio and ported cyl heads plus the correct tune up...:thumbup:

Mark..

It's not going to idle like some Modified Production car..No rockin and rollin but it will absolutely THUNDER out the tail pipes...it'll bark out the pipes..!!

It's got the right camshaft with the right lobes and the right compression ratio and ported cyl heads plus the correct tune up...:thumbup:

Right on Rob I'm lovin it! I grew up to a tweaked 273 with 11:1 and have always loved those little red engines!

Couple pictures...

I posted the pictures of the block so you can see how the block distorts when a head or tq plate is bolted on***first 2 pictures***...I can't remove enough material to correct the distortions because of the piston to wall constrants...
This is why you should always use a tq plate when your engine is being machined.

sat1.jpg

sat2.jpg

sat3.jpg

block.jpg

block2.jpg

block3.jpg

Blocks all finished...line honed..finish honed..squared all ready to go.

blockcaps.jpg

finishbore.jpg

This is a quality build. It's fun to watch the progress. Great job. Mike

-
Back