273 Freshen...pic

-
You weren't kidding me on Saturday morning with the rain coming down.. you WERE cleaning it lol... and yeah, you told me you did some chrome stuff :)

Looks just as good in pics

Grant

Did a double take when I saw the avatar.She's looking nice Vic.Should be cool going for a cruise together,may turn some heads.If the show is Monday I may be able to make it.Why don't I know about this one?:bootysha:

Did a double take when I saw the avatar.She's looking nice Vic.Should be cool going for a cruise together,may turn some heads.If the show is Monday I may be able to make it.Why don't I know about this one?:bootysha:

You two will turn heads for sure on a cruise, but then this little old brown Dart will come out of nowhere and its all over for you guys....hey I can dream to you know! Those Red Fish will get a lot of attention, Dave gets enough with his at the Pony on Sundays.

but then this little old brown Dart will come out of nowhere and its all over for you guys....hey I can dream to you know!

Mark...

Don't worry...I've got a camshaft and cyl heads that we can put on that Old Brown Dart...them Fish boy will tremble in fear when you pull up beside them.:-D

I'll be interested in how she does. What I like is the blueprinting work is all displayed. This is not a basic rebuild. This is a lot of what it takes to make any engine run hard.

This is a great build. Now I wish I had contacted Cometic for head gaskets. They look good. I could have bumped my compression another half point. What are your cam specs? The heads look awsome. toolman

The build looks great. Gives me many ideas for mine when I get to it. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers to the 273 on making some big block chebbys cry all the way home.
:drinkers: :drinkers:

I'll be interested in how she does.

Everyone in the shop is chanting Dyno..Dyno..Dyno. were all curious but my DTS and INC dyno cell wont be up and running until Christmas...there's just way to much to do in here...half the equipment has to be moved from one end to the other.
There is always the rollers...I have a pretty good idea as to how much hp the 273 will make...it'll make 1.2 hp per ci in **crosses all fingers and toes**

What are your cam specs? toolman

Mike...it's a custom grind...with Advertised DUR of 260 and 280 with 540 and 520 lift...it'll make the onions...it's got a couple of nice lobes on it but it needs seat pressure.Not a cam for the average joe...
Vic's been around for a while and herded these crap cans around back in the day...So long warm ups and all the other issues related to high perf is water off a ducks back...His old Swinger had a 600 lift cam and 13.5 comp...hell he drove it every where.

Geez Rob. I guess Vic is going to want that 600 Holley back soon.

LOL..!!

Bill I'm trying to borrow another 750 off another customer but I've just had so many little things crop up in getting the 273 together I keep missing him..

I liked the use of the Cometics. I wouldn't build a serious 273 or 318 without them now. I think I would have liked to see good pistons and the bores fixed. But I think you're right. With the homework youve done and the steps taken I don't think 325 is a bad estimate at all. All depends on the cam... What's the duration and LSA on it?

I liked the use of the Cometics. I wouldn't build a serious 273 or 318 without them now. I think I would have liked to see good pistons and the bores fixed. But I think you're right. With the homework youve done and the steps taken I don't think 325 is a bad estimate at all. All depends on the cam... What's the duration and LSA on it?

Oh the pistons...don't get me started...but they were new and I had no idea of the shape the bores were in...this engine only had a 1000 miles on it...
It'll be OK though...The cast alum pistons are heavy and the pins weighed 257 grams....We had 318 pins ground down to fit the little pistons and saved over a 100 grams a pin.
I'll get some forged JE's when the ring pack gets loose on the cast pistons...everything else is done to the max that I could think of except the pistons...
The cam will make the power...230ish and 240ish @50 and it's on a 109 because it's a small motor...

vjob3.jpg

1357head.jpg

Wow. What stall converter are you going to use? Large sized cam for small cubes.

Wow. What stall converter are you going to use? Large sized cam for small cubes.

That isn't a big cam...it's got the right lobe and centerline...it'll idle like your dads station wagon..

He's got a 9 1/2 Steel Stator PTC for it...he'll be able to drive it anywhere.

transvertor.jpg

Had to re balance the crank as we took out almost a 1000 grams of weight...We also shaved a bit of weight off the crank by knife edging the counter weights.

Also a little better picture of the valve job before I clean up the bowls for the last time..

throwedge.jpg

valveseat2.jpg

2468-1.jpg

Nice build! Maybe I'll send you my Commando in a box LOL. What thickness are those head gaskets? My heads are coming off soon (on the list for this winter).

-
Back