273 how far below deck are the stock pistons?

-

Reaction score
I was wondering if a stock 2 barrel short block 273 can be milled enough to zero deck the pistons so how far below deck do the flat top sit?

Someone will pop in with the answer I'm sure. I will try to talk you out of decking the block a huge amount. A few thou. to clean and straighten it up is good. If you shave a lot the heads and intake won't fit right and will have to be machined also. Those heads and intake will always have to be used with that block. You can also have problems with pushrod length and head bolt length too.
The correct pistons are the way to go. tmm

Someone will pop in with the answer I'm sure. I will try to talk you out of decking the block a huge amount. A few thou. to clean and straighten it up is good. If you shave a lot the heads and intake won't fit right and will have to be machined also. Those heads and intake will always have to be used with that block. You can also have problems with pushrod length and head bolt length too.
The correct pistons are the way to go. tmm

i would agree 100%, you will be $$$ ahead

I'm hoping it less than 0.050" down and with a thin gasket and some milling i could get a decent quench and compression the other way is $900 pistons which I might have to bite bullet and get just checking my options.

.125 to .150...with a cheap cast Ohio or Badger reman piston,I'm pretty sure the factory piston with that closed chamber head will be about the same...
Vic's 273 was .125 in the hole.

This is whats left of a 273 deck after being squared up with a .128 cut

deck.jpg

Why don't you use a 318 or 360 ?... IMHO it will be cheaper and the end result with more cubes will be way more fun.

I know 360 is the smarter choice I got a low mileage one in the shed but I wanna play with 273 looking for 400HP in the 2000-7000 powerband.

Here is a picture I took of my 273 .020 over and the measured depth in the hole for each piston.

This was a stock rebuild except for the boring to clean up the walls. Hope this gives you some idea of the variation between cylinders and ballpark the depth in the hole.

Attachments

• IMG_0599_edit.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 260
  • IMG_0600_edit.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 229
I know 360 is the smarter choice I got a low mileage one in the shed but I wanna play with 273 looking for 400HP in the 2000-7000 powerband.

Wow...cool...but your going to need a 4.88 or more for that little 273 to really shine :burnout: IMHO.

Is it a 4 speed car ??

Ron R I'm gonna run it in time attack (solo 1) up on the road courses here in Ontario so gearing depends on which track I'm running but I imagine they all will be 4.56 + and yes I'm putting in a 4 gear. So for the road course I want a 2000-7000 powerband but got to stay around 400HP so I don't go in to high of a class and have to run with vipers with my 65 Cuda that's why I'm sticking with the 273 plus it's a challenge.

I've was reading my Mopar Performance Engines 8th Edition and it states that 64-67 has a pin height of 1.79", 0.031" in the hole and 68-69 has a pin height of 1.82", 0.001" down the hole. Don't know how accurate this info is but soon find out when I tear into my engine.

I just love your intentions on what you are building.. shouldn't be no problem .
these little 273's are screamers ....
I just done some threaking on my 273 charger and I can hang with my buddies magnum 380 crate and his sons 360 LA engine. I am the underdog and I love it !
I just did some tweaking on the distribtor curved it and installed a pertronix III with a flamethrower coil III.. has the built in rev limiter in it .
I think I may have an edge on both of those cars now HAHA !
that 273 engine is a sleeper for sure !
:burnout:

Attachments

• 273 engine pic 6-27-12.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 399
-
Back