273 intake to 318

-

hot rod valiant

Reaction score
I have an aluminum intake that was made for the 64-65 273 with the different bolt angle. Someone has opened up the bolt holes before I got it,will this work on a 318?

It should work but the only way to find out is to try.

The pad where the bolt contacts the manifold is a different angle than the later manifolds, I didn't know if I would have to modify this area.

If the bolt holes were just hogged out and not machined properly you might have issues. Maybe you should pass on this one if it's not right.

If this is an aluminum intake the bolt heads will dig into the aluminum. 40 ft lbs torque isn't enough to bend the bolt beneath the head but will provide uneven pressure in any case. Re machining the pads would be best with aluminum or cast iron intake but hillside washers is another option to consider. You could probably hand fab those.

I did that to my dual quad intake (Edelbrock) for my 360. The pads should have there angle adjusted and the hole enlarged just a hair beyond the bolt size (3/* IIRC) and she'll just go right on.

Seems better to sell the intake to someone with a 64-65 273 since those are rare and valuable, assuming it hasn't been buggered too much to use for that. I went the other way and buggered up a later intake for my 65, but that was a common Edelbrock Performer 318, since I couldn't find what you have. I haven't run the car, so don't know if it will leak. I countersunk the holes and used flat-head bolts which sit fairly evenly in the V holes.

-
Back