273 question

-
I built my 273 and in retrospect I would have rather gone to a 318 or larger. The issue for me is torque. Yes I can spin to 6K but it doesn't wake up until 3K and that is not the range to run a daily driver motor. The sad thing is that I was advised to do just that but I wanted to keep the original motor in the car--------------:-(
What cam did you use? Did you advance it?

It would be a cold day in hell before I would spend 3500 on a 273. And that's my opinion.
If it was me, I would drop ANY running SBM in there and drive it. Wll, Maybe I would have kept the 273 in there, but now that's apart. I wouldn't even re-gasket it.
Anybody that extols a stock 273 , IDK.........
Am I a 273 hater?
NO!, I am a really-ist.
The 273 is a
really small engine, with a
really small bore, was
really abandoned by Chrysler over 50 years ago, and
was never resurrected;
really.
There is
really nothing a 273 can do, that
really, any other SBM can't do better. You have to
really love the 273, to spend money on it, and I
really don't care to, especially since, I
really like the 360, lol. Especially with the
really light KB107s, and a smallish 223*cam. It gets
really good fuel economy at 11.3Scr, and goes
really fast and is pretty quick. But
Really; it lays down some really long and dark blackies, which I
really enjoy doing.

It would be a cold day in hell before I would spend 3500 on a 273. And that's my opinion.
If it was me, I would drop ANY running SBM in there and drive it. Wll, Maybe I would have kept the 273 in there, but now that's apart. I wouldn't even re-gasket it.
Am I a 273 hater?
NO!, I am a really-ist.
The 273 is a
really small bore, was
was never resurrected;
really.
There is
really enjoy doing.
I really do appreciate your enthusiasm! Butt like opinions.................well you know the rest. :poke::rofl::rofl:

Bottom line is what you have is basically broken or wore out. Plenty of engines out there (cheap) to just drop in and go driving.

Thanks Guys, I have a 318 spotted that I am going to look at. Your advice is greatly appreciated. Also, nothing like talking engines.

Am I a 273 hater?
NO!, I am a really-ist.
The 273 is a
really small bore, was
was never resurrected;
really.
There is
really enjoy doing.

And I am the opposite. Sold or scrapped all the 360's I had after pulling the heads and rods. I have no interest in low rpm torque motors. My too little 273 in the 64 Barracuda had the same power to weight as a stock 68 383 Road Runner. And when I was done, swapping 72 340 top end on it, it was scary fast. With 4.10 gears It would spin the tires through 1st and 2nd gear and halfway through 3rd. Keep telling me I need a 360 to go fast, and I'll keep laughing.

Here in Michigan, I just sent Rich’s motor to my engine guy. For $3200 the entire motor was rebuilt, and that’s including all the parts except the cam, which Rich ordered and took there. This was a 273 Commando rebuild, where the custom pistons were $900, and the rings for them were almost $800. Bring your motor to Michigan, Darryl at Auto Parts Machine Shop will do it right, at a fair price.

Here in Michigan, I just sent Rich’s motor to my engine guy. For $3200 the entire motor was rebuilt, and that’s including all the parts except the cam, which Rich ordered and took there. This was a 273 Commando rebuild, where the custom pistons were $900, and the rings for them were almost $800. Bring your motor to Michigan, Darryl at Auto Parts Machine Shop will do it right, at a fair price.
What pistons? Egge 10.5's are $600. Just curious.

I (well, actually my machinist) ordered 3 sets of made in the USA, Forged custom 273 pistons from Race Tek a few weeks ago. They should be ready in a few weeks, and were $700 a set. I got 2 sets for me and one for @66fs.

Well, I finally have an out the door running engine price. 5200.00, bored 60, balanced, basically a new engine that will be made into a commando engine..but, really?? 5200.00... kinda thinking nope

Last edited:
I have a 1965 rebuilt 273 with around 3k miles on it. I would sell you for $1k plus shipping from Florida. It came with the car I purchase and a swapped in a 340 that I had built. I have a video of it running when pulled. depending on when your car was built this would keep you numbers matching, sort of, at least period correct. PM me for more details if interested.

Nothing wrong with the 273. It’s a small motor of small displacement. Just need a little gear in the butt to make it go. Seeing you are from Pasadena I assume you are from Cali. If so $3500 is probably the norm.

Most of the 273 blocks I’ve run across have been .030. Once in awhile you’ll end up with bores that will clean up but not that often. Pistons are the challange. You can get EGGE pistons but you are limited there.

Are you in a hurry. If not I have 5 blocks sitting up in Washington state. Shoot me a PM.

-
Back