273 rockers

-

laj340

Reaction score
On my third set..splitting them..one or two ..change out whole sets.first it was loose adjusters.sloppy .RPM drops at idle 100..to 150 rpm....when they split.It's like a lousy spark plug.:finga: but it could become some big back firing if they snap...think I'll put the roller rockers on now.haha..Just abusing old 273 rockers for something to do. Roller cam..600 inch lift...hope it helps some one.

Could you post a picture of some split ones? I am curious because I have used several sets and know people who use them and not one failure.

Could you post a picture of some split ones? I am curious because I have used several sets and know people who use them and not one failure.

Was changing to rollers tomororw.take pics of all broken rockers..ok..even the snapped ones. I'm collecting them. Breaking around 1000 miles.I drive my car..does not sit...ever

What are your cam and spring specs? I am askin all this because these rockers are usually bullet proof. Hopefully, you will not crack or break a different rocker.

.600 lift is the problem. The valve stem pad on the 273's isn't designed for such a large sweep. Think about how they work vs. a roller rocker.

OK, I missed the .600 lift deal. Yeah. That just might do it. LMAO

What are your cam and spring specs? I am askin all this because these rockers are usually bullet proof. Hopefully, you will not crack or break a different rocker.

Though the same thing...just trying out mopar parts..but it's not helping me. If I stored the car yes..if u only drove it 3000 miles a year..I abuse my cars ...nitros to...

.600 lift is the problem. The valve stem pad on the 273's isn't designed for such a large sweep. Think about how they work vs. a roller rocker.

Yes I know,cant wait for some rollers...just experimenting. ..Just donnin it. Because..tried them on a stroker..7500 rpm and more.

Well you know, they CAN be reinforced. Sorta like the old early Hemi rockers with the rib of high strength steel welded on the top. A lot of trouble though when you could just get a better product. It's not the lift per say that's doin it. It's the spring pressure.

I'd like to see a picture like this. Are you having clearance problem with the springs? These are 340 springs and the rockers have been clearanced. Where are they breaking?

Attachments

• engine 173.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 268
I used stock rockers with an Isky 312 duration, .580 lift camshaft on my 273 bracket racer, never had a rocker failure.

I'd like to see a picture like this. Are you having clearance problem with the springs? These are 340 springs and the rockers have been clearanced. Where are they breaking?

Nope no clearance problems...that's y I tried them...Eddie heads..where have I been breaking them...everywhere ....top..bottom of shaft splitting...loose ajusters....they became loose....I've got a couple of good roller rocker sets too. Smith bro..push rods.

would lash caps help? Spread the scrub over a larger area? Maybe they are binding on the edge or something.

Was changing to rollers tomororw.take pics of all broken rockers..ok..even the snapped ones. I'm collecting them. Breaking around 1000 miles.I drive my car..does not sit...ever

I've got 4197 miles on a set that was gonna be temporary, they seem to be just fine so I haven't changed them. And those are hard/drag miles lol. I added set set screws, that's it. Thinking there may be another issue here.:burnout:

Lots of people have run these without issues. Valve float, valve interference, coil bind, You have to check it all. That is a pretty big cam!!

sounds like you just need to put a good set of locks on the adjusters ,they do make them just for that reason

I'd say the spring pressure required for a solid roller has a bunch to do with the failures too. Application, application, application...........use the right tool for the job the first time.

Tried one more set of the 273 rockers...the casting on these ones are thicker,bottom and top of rocker.you can see the difference in castings...adjusters are hex nuts,no movement.tight ,like pipe thread.Over 1000 miles on these ones and no problems.The other sets had rockers that where oval castings,thin on top or bottom of the rocker.Its definitely the castings from foundery.

-
Back