275/60/15 tires on stock Duster

-
Hey Mike what did you end up doing? This is mine with draglites and 275/60/15 rear and 207/70/15 fronts. Will be installing 1.5" lowering blocks soon and getting the bum down where it needs to be. The springs didnt settle.

View attachment 1715124477
I liked on your car but if I could have had a disagree button for the lowering of the rear I'd push it. It looks great just the way it is. My_2

The fender will still sit 1/2" above the tire wont sit down over the tire. I like them up in the air a bit too .

The fender will still sit 1/2" above the tire wont sit down over the tire. I like them up in the air a bit too .

It’ll handle much better like that than it does the way it sits now. All that rake makes for lousy handling.

Sorry, I’ve put 275s on my Duster with the stock spring locations. If you use the right backspace, they fit.

They sure do! Might even can go a little bigger with very careful planning!

It’ll handle much better like that than it does the way it sits now. All that rake makes for lousy handling.
Handling? I personally didn't buy a 1973 duster with a thought about handling. It seems as I've been on a mission to put more hp than I can handle :D
While I'm absolutely positive your correct, for 98.7% of duster owners it's likely going to be what they or for some, what there friends think is "COOL". For me it's jack it up old school! :thumbsup:
Because "I" like it that way...

The duster has its purpose as an old school street strip car. I have this for going around corners and stopping on a dime.

m94xuu.jpg

The duster has its purpose as an old school street strip car. I have this for going around corners and stopping on a dime.

View attachment 1715124524
My Duster handles decent, sway bars front and rear, with the rear lowered, and the torsion bars not up high.
But in stock form those old vettes do handle, just sold this one, recently, supercharged, 4-speed, probably the most impractical car I have ever owned.

PacXyK.jpg

Hey Mike what did you end up doing? This is mine with draglites and 275/60/15 rear and 207/70/15 fronts. Will be installing 1.5" lowering blocks soon and getting the bum down where it needs to be. The springs didnt settle.

View attachment 1715124477

That thing is super badass just like it sits.

Looks much better, that is about how I have mine sitting.

Hey Fisher. Off topic, but want to know what color code or name of color of your duster!! I want another option for my dart sport. That color looks good.:thumbsup:

That guy has to have rake because 275's are too big

Huh? What? :realcrazy:

275's, stock spring locations, not hanging out, flat stock /6 springs, still plenty of room to spare to the quarter
IMG_4734.jpg

Little tight on the springs, but like I said, plenty of room to spare on the outside, so a small spacer would have worked great. This was just test fit, I used this to decide on the 295/35/18's I'm running now (with a 1/2" spring offset and some quarter lip trimming)
IMG_4731.jpg

Lowered the car today with 1.5" solid aluminum blocks.

View attachment 1715141810

Looks good! :thumbsup:

Might get a little tight if you throw a couple people in the back seat though, it's definitely close!

There is still 1/2" from the lip to the tire, and the rear suspension is actually pretty firm. I never have more than a passenger up front at anytime. lol

to install 275 60's on a Duster/Demon with 8" wheels the back space on standard abody 8 3/4 housing is.

4 1/2 Back space when using big bolt axles , Backing plates and drums.

If you are using the factory small bolt rear the back space will be 4 1/4. I had to special order a Rally wheel to match one on a car I puchaced.they fit perfect.

I used to use Cragers with 4 1/2 back space but they rubbed the wheel house and leafs on some cars. So I would use a quarter inch spacer to move them out. When I got this 4 1/4 Rally I went to order one from summit. I had to deal directly with wheels vintique to get the correct back space. they charged me extra for that 1/4 inch difference.

I still have the wheels . Here are some pics of the 8" small bolt on my one duster and my 8" big bolt on the other.

b40[1].jpg

b48[1].jpg

DSCN2527 (2).JPG

DSCN2529 (2).JPG

Who wants to use a spacer? Maybe ordering a special wheel is the way to go, but My opinion is that you a pushing the envelope to far. 245 or 255 are better options

Who wants to use a spacer? Maybe ordering a special wheel is the way to go, but My opinion is that you a pushing the envelope to far. 245 or 255 are better options

There’s absolutely nothing wrong with using spacers. As long as you have proper thread engagement on the lug nuts and stay hubcentric there’s no difference at all. And really, you can argue the hubcentric part as there are plenty of cars and wheels that aren’t, but that’s another discussion.

Pushing the envelope too far? If it fits without rubbing, it fits. You can get any size tire to rub if you don’t have the proper backspace.

to install 275 60's on a Duster/Demon with 8" wheels the back space on standard abody 8 3/4 housing is.

4 1/2 Back space when using big bolt axles , Backing plates and drums.

If you are using the factory small bolt rear the back space will be 4 1/4. I had to special order a Rally wheel to match one on a car I puchaced.they fit perfect.

I used to use Cragers with 4 1/2 back space but they rubbed the wheel house and leafs on some cars. So I would use a quarter inch spacer to move them out. When I got this 4 1/4 Rally I went to order one from summit. I had to deal directly with wheels vintique to get the correct back space. they charged me extra for that 1/4 inch difference.

I still have the wheels . Here are some pics of the 8" small bolt on my one duster and my 8" big bolt on the other.

View attachment 1715143108

View attachment 1715143111

View attachment 1715143122

View attachment 1715143123
Do you mind me asking how much wheel vintiques charged you for the custom back spacing?

I put N50-15s on 10s under a 74 DartSport. Lemmee think... Ns were like 10" treads, maybe 12"Sections so 295/50-15s I guess. Hyup I put those on my 68 Barracuda and I think the tubs are pretty much the same.
So 275s are easy. I like the 60series

I just put 15x7 Wheel Vintiques black steels with small bolt pattern on my Demon with 275/60-15. fit great

Resized952019072095092454959235.jpg

-
Back