28000 mile 70 Swinger

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if they can verify that mileage. I would ask for additional pics of the engine compartment, interior and trunk. If you physically take a look at it, check out those things that sometimes give an idea of the vehicle's true age (upholstery, pedal rubber, underhood rubber, etc.). Good luck.

If the car was still down here in California I would say the price is to high. But up there in Canada cars may go for more money then down here.

Rockers look rusty. I would get a lot better look at it before comiting to any thing. The lack of pics is not a good sign.

Most of the pics were from a distance,think ya wanna see it up close before making a decision,but it sounds good.

doesn't looke to be too bad of a price if its spotless.

thing that would worry me is the passenger side wheel well looks painted body color and the driver side is not. looks like it may have been hit.

I'd love to have that car, especially if it has a T5 Bronze interior. That is the exact same car my grandmother gave me when I was 16. If anyone checks it out, give us an update on the condition. Is that $5500 Canadian?

65Vart, are you interested in that car, or just letting us know about it?
I will call the seller in the morning (as I'm interested) and ask questions and make arrangement for viewing. It looks like a black interior car also. It's an hour drive from my place. Let me know as I don't want to take it from you.

Giles

No pics of the engine area not the under carriage. The can show wear...????

why are the pics taken so far away from the car? what is it hiding?

Long distance pic's and it's sold AS-IS.I'd have to see it,could be a deal or a dog

the long distance pics. could just be someone that doesn't know any better. that is very common. as is. hell i sell everything as is. be stupid not to.

i think the car has had paint work. no one will know until they go see it though.

65Vart, are you interested in that car, or just letting us know about it?
I will call the seller in the morning (as I'm interested) and ask questions and make arrangement for viewing. It looks like a black interior car also. It's an hour drive from my place. Let me know as I don't want to take it from you.

Giles

go for it Giles. Let me know what you find out.8)

OK, I am from old school.

The factory odometer numbers were always straight in line. When a car hit 99999.9 it starts over with 00000.0 but they never lined up straight unless the speedometer was rolled back.

It is very plain that the numbers on this one are not in line.

This is what I was always told and I believe it to be correct but I am no expert. Maybe something to research.

Jeez, skip Kijiji for a couple days and look what pops up! Giles, if you go check the car out, be sure to report back.

Jim

The factory odometer numbers were always straight in line. When a car hit 99999.9 it starts over with 00000.0 but they never lined up straight unless the speedometer was rolled back.

This is what I was always told and I believe it to be correct but I am no expert. Maybe something to research.

That is right, that car has 127000 miles not 27000 It was just well taken care of but not a low mileage car.

I agree that when the odometer hasn't rolled over the numbers line up pretty nice.

The speedo setup has a shaft and cogs coming out of the odometer spool lock onto that shaft, when it rolls over it breaks the cogs loose and thats why the numbers don't line up straight anymore. I suspect this odometer has been around the block before based on what I've seen in 30+ years. Giles let us know if it looks to have more wear than it should when you check it out.

My Duster only has 47K original miles and it barely has surface rust on the underside, rockers or any place else. A 28K mile CA car shouldn't have that much rust on the rockers unless they lived in the mountains or the beach.

IMG_3892a.JPG

The odometers in the older cars were made to do that so you could tell when a cars mileage rolled over since they only had the 5 digits instead of 6

My grandfather who worked in a dealership since the 50's said it was common for traveling salesmen to run a cars mileage up over 100000 within a few years and then try to pawn them off as low mileage cars.

Jeez, skip Kijiji for a couple days and look what pops up! Giles, if you go check the car out, be sure to report back.

Jim

I sure will, and I'll take close up pics also. He hasn't returned my call, left a message this afternnon, and I tried calling him this evening also.

$5,500. for a solid car around here is quite reasonable, even is it has 128K.

Giles

At one time I had 3 spare clusters,ontop of the one in my car.You could easlly swap one in for the view of lower mileage.Yes Giles,in these parts a clean car is worth $5000 running or not,high or low mileage.It,s the body we,re after!LOL.

I sure will, and I'll take close up pics also. He hasn't returned my call, left a message this afternnon, and I tried calling him this evening also.

$5,500. for a solid car around here is quite reasonable, even is it has 128K.

Giles
He Emailed me back, I asked him for frame rail/floor condition, engine bay/interior shots, trunk etc. He said he was going to post more pictures (Tuesday). This gets fishier by the minute. I smell Scam.

Did anyone pick this up, I called the guy as well and he sounded a little vague, and now the listing is gone. Just wonderin

Did anyone pick this up, I called the guy as well and he sounded a little vague, and now the listing is gone. Just wonderin

I finally got a hold of him this evening, he doesn't sound like a very pleasant guy.

I asked to speak to Darcy (the seller), the response was "what about!?", so I say "about the car he has for sale", his response was "what about it?".

So far I'm not liking were this is going...but I asked if it was possible to have a look at it this coming weekend ? I got a "not a chance, I've got other things to do..." He didn't seem to want to answer any questions, so I agreed to drive down Monday evening to go look at it.

I'm thinking this guy does not want to deal with this (selling the car), and the sooner it's gone the better.

He also did stress that it wont be sold by Monday, since he has no time before then.

Giles

I finally got a hold of him this evening, he doesn't sound like a very pleasant guy.

I asked to speak to Darcy (the seller), the response was "what about!?", so I say "about the car he has for sale", his response was "what about it?".

So far I'm not liking were this is going...but I asked if it was possible to have a look at it this coming weekend ? I got a "not a chance, I've got other things to do..." He didn't seem to want to answer any questions, so I agreed to drive down Monday evening to go look at it.

I'm thinking this guy does not want to deal with this (selling the car), and the sooner it's gone the better.

He also did stress that it wont be sold by Monday, since he has no time before then.

Giles

Hey Giles, yeah I spoke to him as well and you dont get a warm fuzzy feeling, thats for sure. Are you interested in the car? If so, I will leave him to you, if not let me know I am interested as well. Why would he take his ad down tho if the car isnt sold or if it isnt a scam?

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back