289 vs 318 ..... Ford vs Mopar

FoMoCo vs Mopar

• 289 - rated 210 hp

Votes: 18 46.2%
  • 318 - rated 230

Votes: 21 53.8%

• Total voters
-
I have thrown some parts out of both Chevy and Ford motors. I have never (probably shouldn't say this) thrown any parts out of the bottom of a Mopar engine. Yes, I know it can be done but, I feel it's much harder to do in a Mopar engine and, here is why....Rod angle, look at how much wider Mopar engines (big block and small blocks) are than the competition. The width of the engines make it much easier on the rods under load and rpm to push the piston back up the cylinder. The Ford small blocks are almost unnatural on how up and down the cylinders are and, makes more likely to put some parts on the outside of the engine...lol Rod angle, in my eyes the same reason the slant six is...well...slanted.
they're wider due to the block deck height. 289/302 ford is 8.2", small block chevy is 9.0", 351w is the only one close to the mopar at 9.5" with the small block mopar at 9.6". all of them are 90 degree v8's so the small block ford has pistons the same 'up and down' as all the others, lol.
rod angle is to do with rod length in relation to stroke (rod ratio:- rod length divided by stroke). so how much rod angle an engine has is determined by those measurements, meaning different engine sizes even between engines of the same family will have different rod angles. generally a taller deck block tends to have longer rods so also tends to have a better rod angle (but not always). a seemingly apples to apples comparison of ford and chevy 302 small blocks, both have a 4" bore and 3" stroke but the chevy has a a 9.0" deck while the ford has an 8.2" deck. the chevy has longer rods (5.7" versus 5.09") to get the pistons to the top of the taller block so has a better rod ratio and hence rod angle.

Just pass the 100 post mark and the 318's finally have taken the lead in the polls !!

Ford never had a supercharger version of the 289 for the general public. I don't consider the Hertz option as it was a limited run.
So the Mr Norm's GSS counts but the Mustang GT350S doesn't? One came RIGHT from the factory with the blower one was dealer installed.

The heads on the 385 series Ford’s make the FE heads look like the junk they are. Ford got the canted valve wedge head and used it. Chrysler had the Hemi and wasn’t smart enough to leave that for the power adder guys and then move forward with a canted wedge head.

And the bore centers are farther apart than they are on the BBC and BBM.
Ford was the only manufacturer I know of to offer canted valve heads on a small block. Did anybody else do it? I know Chevy had a few prototype pairs for the small block but they never saw production.

So the Mr Norm's GSS counts but the Mustang GT350S doesn't? One came RIGHT from the factory with the blower one was dealer installed.
You couldn't order a 289 with a blower on a fairlane, falcon, base mustang. The car's that you mentioned were available in a limited run only, just like the dodge challenger hellcats or the the newer dodge demon.

You couldn't order a 289 with a blower on a fairlane, falcon, base mustang. The car's that you mentioned were available in a limited run only, just like the dodge challenger hellcats or the the newer dodge demon.
Or the 68 Hemi A bodies?

I think the Hellcat can be taken out of the statement. They were/are pretty much available for anyone that has the funds to purchase one.

Or the 68 Hemi A bodies?
Wasn't the hemi A bodies a limited run as well? None of these cars were like a regular production model, they were strictly a limited edition, if not then there would be more of them. I can't remember the exact year but I think it was 1969 that only 2 dodge super bee or dodge coronet convertibles were made with the 426 hemi, one was a 4 speed the other a automatic.

Wasn't the hemi A bodies a limited run as well? None of these cars were like a regular production model, they were strictly a limited edition, if not then there would be more of them. I can't remember the exact year but I think it was 1969 that only 2 dodge super bee or dodge coronet convertibles were made with the 426 hemi, one was a 4 speed the other a automatic.
Yes, but regardless, if you wanted one and had the money, you could get one. That's the point I am making.

I think the Hellcat can be taken out of the statement. They were/are pretty much available for anyone that has the funds to purchase one.
They were made in a limited quantity only I forgot how many they were going to build but it wasn't like 1000's of them true if you had the funds to buy one you could.

Yes, but regardless, if you wanted one and had the money, you could get one. That's the point I am making.
I understand. In 1968 I was only 9 years old so most of what I've said comes from reading, family members and folks in the car scene.

They were made in a limited quantity only I forgot how many they were going to build but it wasn't like 1000's of them true if you had the funds to buy one you could.
Production numbers for Hellcat powered Challengers, Chargers, and Jeeps is 56,706 to date. No way does this qualify for "not production vehicle to the public". They are still in production till 2023, so you can go order yours today :)

In high school I dated a girl who drove a 67 mustang. Bone stock 302, single exhaust, automatic and a 2 barrel. That thing smoked my stock 72 dart, 318,904, 2 barrel. Stock for stock the mustang was faster by a good margin.

Production numbers for Hellcat powered Challengers, Chargers, and Jeeps is 56,706 to date. No way does this qualify for "not production vehicle to the public". They are still in production till 2023, so you can go order yours today :)
Wow, thanks for the info. I was totally misled by someone in the car sales world that said only a handful would be available. I can't afford one anyway but I thank you for setting me straight on this

Wow, thanks for the info. I was totally misled by someone in the car sales world that said only a handful would be available. I can't afford one anyway but I thank you for setting me straight on this
Don't worry, I check my wallet and mine's not on order either :D

The super charger option on the hipo 289 was offered in 65 or at lest early 65s. I read and article in Hotrod or Car Craft about a 65 with the super charger, the article said that it was factory installed. The owner had paperwork to show he ordered it with the car.

With some work, D/Darts were capable of running in the high 12's in the 105 mph area. They were quick but not class competitive.
My bud back then ran the country boys on country roads, he never saw a drag strip. He paid his way thru college.
He had no tach, ran by ear.

The super charger option on the hipo 289 was offered in 65 or at lest early 65s. I read and article in Hotrod or Car Craft about a 65 with the super charger, the article said that it was factory installed. The owner had paperwork to show he ordered it with the car.
Correct. The GSS was the dealer (Mr Norm) installed.

With some work, D/Darts were capable of running in the high 12's in the 105 mph area. They were quick but not class competitive.
The problem with the D Dart was, in the next year, 67, you could get a big block in a Dart. The D Darts were really badass but short lived. It's very unfortunate Chrysler couldn't have put that package together as the initial power train in the 64 Barracuda when it debuted. The rustangs wouldn't stood a chance.

I am a die-hard MoPar fan, with a soft spot for Buicks and Oldsmobiles, but with a love for cool car stuff regardless of make. I must admit, one of the best SOUNDING cars to me has to be the SBF 289-302 with duals. The 5.0 GT Mustang has to be one of the most iconic and recognizable sounding cars ever, you don't even have to see it to identify. Just like a 383 MoPar sounds better (IMO) than a 440, and a 318/340 sounds better than a 360, the key is in the bore/stroke ratio I'm thinking.

I am a die-hard MoPar fan, with a soft spot for Buicks and Oldsmobiles, but with a love for cool car stuff regardless of make. I must admit, one of the best SOUNDING cars to me has to be the SBF 289-302 with duals. The 5.0 GT Mustang has to be one of the most iconic and recognizable sounding cars ever, you don't even have to see it to identify. Just like a 383 MoPar sounds better (IMO) than a 440, and a 318/340 sounds better than a 360, the key is in the bore/stroke ratio I'm thinking.
That's how I am. Mopar is at the top of the heap, but I love everything as long as it's old and American.

I know we’re comparing 289 vs 318, my neighbor bought his brother’s mint stock 66 Mustang automatic and he’d beat my 66 Barracuda 4speed at the start every time, circa 1976

-
Back