3000 stall convertor and 2800 highway cruising

-

tooslow

Reaction score
I am running a hughes 3000 stall convertor and want to lower my rear gear for highway cruising to atain 2800rpm. Will this build excess heat when criusing?
3000 means the convertor will flash around that rpm depending on torque?
But will it slip slightly below 3000 rpm when cruising/

No. It'll be fine. I run a PTC that flashes to 3200 and 3:55 gears that cruise at 2700 @ 60. No problem at all. Just make sure to run a good auxiliary cooler cause when you stomp on it the slipping effect (flash) builds heat.

No. It'll be fine. I run a PTC that flashes to 3200 and 3:55 gears that cruise at 2700 @ 60. No problem at all. Just make sure to run a good auxiliary cooler cause when you stomp on it the slipping effect (flash) builds heat.

^^^^what Tracy said

I run a 2800-3200 with 3.55 gears with 28" tires. No problems at all.
I use a B&M tranny cooler....keeps the fluid between 150 and 180

These guys are right. Run the biggest cooler you can. I am running a 3K stall in my dart and 3.91 gears and a 29" tire.

Hey Tony,

Could the high converter be what is making your fuel milage bad with slippage turning your power output into heat instead of rear wheel power?

What cam did you install to get that thumpy idle you wanted?

^^^^what Tracy said

I run a 2800-3200 with 3.55 gears with 28" tires. No problems at all.
I use a B&M tranny cooler....keeps the fluid between 150 and 180

wow that is revving high! can't imagine driving that very long on the highway

Hey Tony,

Could the high converter be what is making your fuel milage bad with slippage turning your power output into heat instead of rear wheel power?

What cam did you install to get that thumpy idle you wanted?

Cam is the problem with fuel mileage according to folks that are in the know.
It's a Comp XE 284 Hyd.

With the 3.55 gears at 70 mph I am turning around 3100 rpm's

The fuel mileage is around 11.8 but a couple of weeks ago I got 12.2 going
to Indy and back.

wow that is revving high! can't imagine driving that very long on the highway

Did 3800 miles on the Power Tour this year.

tooslow...you thinking about a 3.23 gear
I ran a 2.76 before going to the 3.55 my 70 mph speed was at 2500 rpm's

As was said before, make sure to run a good (large) tranny cooler.

Cam is the problem with fuel mileage according to folks that are in the know.
It's a Comp XE 284 Hyd.

With the 3.55 gears at 70 mph I am turning around 3100 rpm's

The fuel mileage is around 11.8 but a couple of weeks ago I got 12.2 going
to Indy and back.

That mileage isn't out of line with your combo. I have the next step smaller cam in mine but everything else is nearly identical to yours and it only gets about 1 to 1.5 MPG more than yours.

Tony,

What size carb did you end up with before that 3800 mile run.

LOL, my rod will probably NEVER see that many miles again within the next 5-6 years. Just going to be a locally driven hot street / strip car.

i think any converter is going to kill mpg. sure its going to build heat but with a sufficient cooler it will be fine for a long time. if you want to build a car for roadtrips, mpg and still make some power your best bet is a manual trans with od. next would be an auto with overdrive, but i think you really need oen that uses a lockup converter to be efficient, and the converter choices are sort of limited.
i only did the power tour kickoff but it was still a 3,000 mile trip in my big block duster, with a t56 and 3.73 rear i managed 19mpg on the highway, this trip was just 2 weeks after completing the engine and trans swap. i didnt even get to mess with the carb much.

Us auto tranny guys need tranny with lock-up 3,000 stall and OD--and not that factory Mopar unit which seems to be too much hassle.

Sure that t56 is nice, really nice but with clutch, linkage, trans $ is out of reach for many of us--me included

there are plenty of times i wish i could just put it in drive and go. when i started planning this car i looked at my dart and thought what would keep me from driving it on long trips, the biggest things all point to mpg, the big stall converter, the 3.73s. could go with a gear vendors, but without a lockup converter even that i dont think is worth it. the t56 wasnt too bad price wise, and on the highway it is nice. oh there actually is no linkage for the clutch or shifter.
you could go with the gm 4l60, but that is anything but cheap and it actually has the same od ratio as a 518, but its computer controlles so you can fine tune it, and i think you have a better selection of converters.

Isn't the A518 a really heavy pig? I mean even heavier than a 727/GV combo?

-
Back