$30k for a 1966 Barracuda?!?!

-
smell something fishy!! i notice a lot of early "a" cars getting big bids lately-- Lawrence

Going on Ebay is like going to a parallel universe or something. People change with the atmosphere or "sense of urgency" to bid higher so the other guy doesnt the item.You see it all the time, an item going for what seems like twice its real value.

I was at a classic car auction a year ago and watched one do 25000 It had real bidders, dont be so hard to critize but I realize with ebay there is always doubt.

You really have to look at the seller to see why it is bid that high. Probably a nice car but, he is the type to think his cars are better than yours. He bought a 68 Hemi Coronet R/T we had. It was a really nice clone. We ran it through Mecum in Indy six years ago. He paid 46k for it then tried to get 60k for it. It was a nice driver with a 528 crate Hemi super fun driver. He had it bid up.

The equipment list makes it a fairly rare car. Not many were yellow. Not many had vinyl tops. Add in the 4 speed and full console and you are out of the norm. Still doesn't seem like 30k worth.
Mike

Look at the bids. It's a schill bid. It didnt get past $3500.

Look at the bids. It's a schill bid. It didnt get past $3500.

Yup.

Second to last bid from m***o was $6550.

Less than a minute later the same bidder went to $29,995.00

Notice e**** kept bidding the price up against himself, too, sometimes just seconds apart.

It is a beautiful car. Not perfect but very nice. I would cost $20+ to build it and more to have it built. From the sellers standpoint he is in business to make a profit. He didn't buy it for $2000 out of somebody's grove. He bought it done, marked it up and is trying to make a living doing so. He doesn't sell to guys like us. We buy our cars for little or nothing and fix them up as we can. He sells cars like this to the guys that $30,000 isn't a big deal. They like the car and buy it. They aren't interested in building a car like this. They just write out the check and drive away. tmm

for some people $30,000 is their " coffee" money. and that's fine.
the guy that buys "done" cars, worth the money, and can sell them to people that can afford his price, and the guy makes a profit, fine with me personally.
buying on an auction, be it ebay, Barrett-Jackson, or the local plug horse sale...... if you are the buyer....ya got to figure what it's worth to YOU, realize the seller usually has a reserve, and ya NEVER
know who you are bidding against....
I see people on this site, complain about the "flipper". the way I see it, if that flipper worked to find a car that is worth more than what he paid, and can make a profit and place that car in the hands of someone that wants it. more power to him..... kinda like the guy that finds the junkyard, walks it, pulls parts in the bugs, snakes, and nasty, dickers with the owner, spends HIS gas doin this, sells its, ships it, sells it for a fair price and makes a profit.... more power to him. he provides a needed service...... just me....

for some people $30,000 is their " coffee" money. and that's fine.
the guy that buys "done" cars, worth the money, and can sell them to people that can afford his price, and the guy makes a profit, fine with me personally.
buying on an auction, be it ebay, Barrett-Jackson, or the local plug horse sale...... if you are the buyer....ya got to figure what it's worth to YOU, realize the seller usually has a reserve, and ya NEVER
know who you are bidding against....
I see people on this site, complain about the "flipper". the way I see it, if that flipper worked to find a car that is worth more than what he paid, and can make a profit and place that car in the hands of someone that wants it. more power to him..... kinda like the guy that finds the junkyard, walks it, pulls parts in the bugs, snakes, and nasty, dickers with the owner, spends HIS gas doin this, sells its, ships it, sells it for a fair price and makes a profit.... more power to him. he provides a needed service...... just me....

You are right on the money here.
The last part especially is what i do and how i think about the whole hobby.
I could fill pages on this site on what i had to go through getting cars and parts.....
(And saved them from being rebar.)

I agree that people need to make a living on things, what I don't agree with is the dishonest bidding on ebay. If you are putting a car up for auction and have a reserve, let it be bid on for real. The fallback is the reserve, if it doesn't make the reserve try again. Don't scam people with fake bids.

I agree that people need to make a living on things, what I don't agree with is the dishonest bidding on ebay. If you are putting a car up for auction and have a reserve, let it be bid on for real. The fallback is the reserve, if it doesn't make the reserve try again. Don't scam people with fake bids.

I agree with you too. however, i'm just pointing out the reality of the ebay auction. ya don't know if the seller has several ebay accounts and spikes the bidding. if his buddy helps the bidding along. etc.... its not right. but it can and does sometime happen.... just saying ya got to decide what you will pay or not pay. just like a member can offer to sell ya a part ya need. the buyer has to decide what he is willing to pay?????

I will have to admit one thing; 16 inch wheels look AMAZING on this car. I love the vintage look of 15's and 17's just dont have the rubber around them I like...16 inch wheels just look right, and they really accent this car. Just my two cents. I wish more companies made 16's for vintage rides.....

I will have to admit one thing; 16 inch wheels look AMAZING on this car. I love the vintage look of 15's and 17's just dont have the rubber around them I like...16 inch wheels just look right, and they really accent this car. Just my two cents. I wish more companies made 16's for vintage rides.....

I guess as time goes on, us oldtimers will get to liking the modern 16 in and lower profile tire!????? one day ,,,buying a NEW 14 or 15 inch tire will be like buying a $500 repoped dash pad!!??? LOL
don't get me started on Barrett-Jackson.......

-
Back