318 and 10's

-
I know spareparts, personally and know the effort put into chassis to make that car run and it is amazing.. What a lot of people don't understand is that a right tuned chassis is almost more deadly, then a well built chassis

If swifter wants to make it fun...How about we throw say $300 in the pot each, that Spareparts runs a healthy 10... I need help building my road runner and vitamin green helps!

Mike

We call it The Vanilla Gorilla
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KblG8QgPdtE"]1974 Duster burnout Great Lakes Dragaway - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNR4ELAoM6o"]Duster Vs Camaro GLD 10-26-12 - YouTube[/ame]

Enjoy! and yes, I always run clocks off

now I am laughing, SpareParts!! A 10 second 318 has the "mopar nation" shaking! LOL!!! Man, you been accused of having an "ego", a race for a purse, and whatever!!! Glad you started this thread.

I am not surprised at the lack of faith here lol we're used to it, the whole car is an underbuilt street racer. There is a purpose to this vehicle ;)

Go grab a magnum 5.9, they can be had for cheap, for the price of the engine and what you have to do to it to go 10's, you'll still be ahead by a country mile.

Unless your tying to prove a point, different ball game then.

Careful, SpareParts! You will have enemies!!! I, too, share your interest in "little is much". But be aware, guys with 6000 dollar aluminum head 440's in their dusters will be very angry with their local speed shops that took their money because they're still at 12 seconds flat and a 318 duster just gave 'em a spankin! See, what you're doing is like defying the rule of gravity! When people find out 7000 dollars later, they are MAD! But I learned early being poor, I was forced to think rather than obey! Cheering you on, because, 318willrun !!!!!!

See that is the issue people are missing the point, VG is very soundly built with a lot of blood sweat and tears involved in it
Mike

Lots of ways to skin a cat... ran pretty good with the 360, why not with a 318.

I just want to see the video. That math says it can be done fairly easy. A 400 crank hp 318 can be built cheaply and a real 200 shot will get it past 10.90s assuming the car works. I would questions the budget but I don;t knwo where you started from... So I'll believe it when I see it.

All in fun!!! Just saying, if we believed in our 318 as much as the Chevy guys believe in their 302 Camaro, there would be more 10 second 318's at the strip!
The reason there are very few 302 Chevrolet smallblocks at the race track is the same reason there are fewer fast 318s at the track.. Its cheaper and easier to run the number with more cubes, and the engine will last longer, not to mention 7200 rpm and nitrous doesn't sound like a good plan for "street car" durability. Its cool and all to go fast with a overlooked motor, but it really proves nothing.

Introduction from 2nd video.
"1974 Duster with CPM built 367 SBM"

Pantsonfire.

Yeah that's why I said I don't have video of the 318 in the car but here's the 360 that ate the mains.

The 318 was a score out of a 68 D200 we had around, steel crank motor so it seemed like a good candidate.
*Paging Swifter*
Someone can film that if they want and y'all can see the 318. I know what it does so I don't need video lol

What head are you using, and porting, cam? Just curious, because I used to spray my old 318 with a 150 shot, and it was not even close to that mph. When I put a ported 360 heads on it picked up a ton though.

For racing, I prefer using my NA 410 stroker...more consistent, and cheaper to run in the 10's on a regular basis. I got tired of having to constantly refill the bottle with the nitrous motor.

Well this has been entertaining at least?

I've always had whatever I was working on tweaked as good as possible, whether stock or with some coin in it. I don't doubt your results, but for how long? With many details missing, it sounds like you have a decent working car with a stockish shortblock, good heads, and the juice. I'm picking up a "childish" theme here, like look what I did. I know it can be addicting to push a stock shortblock further and further, but at some point, it will go boom! If you really want to continue to run this type setup, please build it like I said in Post #5.......All good forged pieces and studded.

I'd hate to see a block destruct on you, even at 70mph, much less 125. Just be safe and keep that car,......and you, in one piece.

Nice duster, like the low dollar motors. Got my own cheap smack bastard motor and almost like it as much as the expensive w2 motor that it replaced.

Boy I remember back when y'all ran BJR off of here like a lynch mob

When you rip people off, that tends to happen. Did it to himself. Back on topic otherwise this will spiral out of control.

Good luck with the car and keep at it.

Never a problem,with 273/318's here. The reason I posted that thread: He has done the time,cut the crap to a minimum. Imagine if ,he threw a basic power shot 125 at it.(tuned ,in context). The guy I learned from,ran 13:20's@ 103(stock 273 bottom end/bowl ported heads/4:88's). That was '72.

Well this has been entertaining at least?

I've always had whatever I was working on tweaked as good as possible, whether stock or with some coin in it. I don't doubt your results, but for how long? With many details missing, it sounds like you have a decent working car with a stockish shortblock, good heads, and the juice. I'm picking up a "childish" theme here, like look what I did. I know it can be addicting to push a stock shortblock further and further, but at some point, it will go boom!
I'd hate to see a block destruct on you, even at 70mph, much less 125. Just be safe and keep that car,......and you, in one piece.

x2.
BJR made some claims that could not be backed up other than with hersay and personal theories. Then he screwed a few people that believed in him. The first bit - that's just bench racin' and one either joins in or tunes out. It's the second part that bit him.

-
Back