318 draw through build

-
I'm not going to attach the reeds until I'm ready to bolt it up, I'll get some pics of them then.

I thought you had em done already. How do they work. Ikinda get the gist of the boost sucks em closed

They are ready to bolt up. Just have to screw them in place. Here is a pic of what they will look like.

Attachments

• reed valves.JPG
    40 KB · Views: 1,291
Crossover pipe done

Attachments

• Crossover pipe_001.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 1,287
  • Crossover pipe_002.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 1,258
  • Crossover pipe_003.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 1,292
What's goin in? Is there clearance enough for K frame and steering linkage?

I owe this guy ,an apology. I remember the Martin systems, from the day. They rocked.

What's goin in? Is there clearance enough for K frame and steering linkage?
It's going in this A body. I put rack and pinion in it years ago. Every thing clears nicely.

Attachments

• Hardtop1.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 1,193
Very cool setup!
Are the reed valves used in the same way as a blow off valve?

I have an old Offy under/over carb adapter for a draw-through setup. Basically the same concept. It did bring the carb up around 2" from stock.

Very cool setup!
Are the reed valves used in the same way as a blow off valve?

I have an old Offy under/over carb adapter for a draw-through setup. Basically the same concept. It did bring the carb up around 2" from stock.
No, the reeds close up and direct all of the charge to the turbo once boost is made, they don't bleed boost off.

More pics, getting closer. The blue hose is the oil return into the side of the rocker cover.

Attachments

• Turbo_008.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 1,138
  • Turbo_007.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 1,111
  • Turbo_006.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 1,115
  • Turbo_005.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 1,106
  • Turbo_004.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 1,124
  • Turbo_003.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 1,159
  • Turbo_002.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 1,139
  • Turbo_001.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 1,126
I'm absolutely fascinated by this setup.

Thanks for walking us through it.

-AlV

This begs to be twin turbo'd! I see a torque beast, but with a 2.73 rear who needs RPM's? I seen a manifold for this on another site, should have snapped it up when I had the chance. Draw throughs are the easiest turbo to do, especially if you have some side drafts. Strap a big Mikuni or a Weber on the turbo inlet and you got yourself an instant turbo setup with barely any carb mods. At idle, the motor just lazily sucks through the compressor, no problem at all. The only issue may be at full spool: you lift your foot and there is about 30 inches of vacuum created behind the carb butterfly, enough to suck alot of fuel through the bleeds giving you a very rich decel. And there is the issue with overboost, how does it blow off? Is there a wastegate anywhere? Gotta give credit to the 80's mechanical engenuity prior to the easy MPFI revolution. Oh yeah, those Cragar Super-Trick rims are as cool as the turbo!

I have thought about the wastegate, but I'm not sure it will be needed, so I'll run it up first with some pressure gauges and go from there.

I have thought about the wastegate, but I'm not sure it will be needed, so I'll run it up first with some pressure gauges and go from there.

wastegate is not needed, the turbo can only draw as much as the carburetor butterflys will allow

now on the other hand a blow off valve is not needed and very dangerous to use!

I've been working on it today, I'll post some more pics in a day or two.

Almost there, just the exhaust to do, once I get it onto a hoist, and some electrical work.

Attachments

• Engine_003.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 1,011
  • Engine_002.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 986
  • Engine_001.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 1,000
After a little talk at the shop I'm now leaning away from doing just the straight white paint that this car had. Looks like I'll be heading down the road of a paint scheme like one of theses, or maybe a clone of a car from this era.
If anyone has some pics of these types of paint schemes, feel free to add them here.

Attachments

• HEMRN24-DSC_3487mag.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 960
  • SM11243.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 933
  • LD_001.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 980
-
Back