318 la motor

-

Johnny71dusty

Reaction score
I got new heads finally for my 318 . Now I need exhaust manifolds. Do magnum manifolds work ? If not where can I get new style manifold ? I don’t like headers .

Heard some talk that the Dodge Dakota rear dump manifolds work. Have to see what the other guys say on here.

These '91 W150 Truck manifolds work nice, for the 318 Trucks. Large port manifolds that came on a 318.

Screenshot_20220520-155507_Gallery.jpg

Here is a picture Of a factory 318 single Exhaust Y pipe that may get you down past the starter and steering sector on the A bodies. Don't know if anyone has tried these on an A body yet to get to the back?

Can hack it off at the trans and go to duels or keep it single and simple to get things going.

Screenshot_20220520-160104_Gallery.jpg

The '91 318 Truck manifold should work on your A body passenger side.

Nice looking manifolds too!

Keep in mind that the later LA manifolds have a smog pump port below the exhaust port. Depending on which head casting you're using, that might a ***** to seal. What year and model is the engine going into?

Keep in mind that the later LA manifolds have a smog pump port below the exhaust port. Depending on which head casting you're using, that might a ***** to seal. What year and model is the engine going into?

Just chop the factory air tube that goes into the manifold 3/8" long and weld that tube shut with a wire feed.

Then bolt that on with the factory bolt and the available gasket with your exhaust manifold gasket set.

Those Truck manifolds are available brand new aftermarket if you can't find good used ones. Also remove The heat riser butterfly and shaft and weld those steel sleeves shut too.

Agree with previous posts- we need to know what the 318 is going into, and how it's equipped. Manual or power steering, especially.

Just chop the factory air tube that goes into the manifold 3/8" long and weld that tube shut with a wire feed.

Then bolt that on with the factory bolt and the available gasket with your exhaust manifold gasket set.

Those Truck manifolds are available brand new aftermarket if you can't find good used ones. Also remove The heat riser butterfly and shaft and weld those steel sleeves shut too.
Or you can just tap the air feed hole for (I believe) a 3/8 NPT pipe plug.
Actually, you don't "have to" do anything at all- the air injection passageway in the manifold is completely divorced from the exhaust, if left open they just go from "nowhere" to "nowhere". Provided the ports in the head, if they are there, have been tapped and plugged with allen screws.
Some of the manifolds may have an O2 sensor hole by the outlet that needs to get plugged.

I have a 74 duster with 1992 truck manifold on passenger side, if you have power steering the driver's side wont clear,I had to go with a 340 manifold on driver's side

Not much for info ^^^ hard to help the guy.

He never pulled his 318 heads to realize he has the 302 closed chambered heads on that nice running '91 roller 318 either.

Just sitting in the back of his truck with the intake off.

Throwing out the baby with the bath water. Can lead a horse to water but can't make them drink.

Good Luck

Agree Dakota driver's side hits PS gear adjustment tower.

Pretty sure it works without PS.

360 manifolds are better than 318 but not quite as good as 340 (except IIRC 1 year they were the same), but easier to find.

He never pulled his 318 heads to realize he has the 302 closed chambered heads on that nice running '91 roller 318 either.

Throwing out the baby with the bath water. Can lead a horse to water but can't make them drink.

Good Luck
And they aren’t 302 heads . I’ve said that

Good Luck
I got a free motor a year ago from a running satellite and didn’t use it . How many motors are sitting around in your garages . There wouoe be no way to know unless I took it apart which I had no interest in doing until o snapped off stuff in my heads and was looking to use that other motor I had sitting around . I took it apart and saw some stuff thst looks like magnum roller stuff on a other wise la motor . It was weird and several of experts here said there was la or mag nothing else’s let alone a factory combo of both . Which this seems to be

Good Luck
I wasn’t sitting in back of my truck lol That is day I went to pick it up a year ago . It’s been in my shop . Guy wanted to keep thr intake off it so I took it as that.

And he took the heads off his old 318, as if.

Pictures or it never happened .

Speaking of pictures, being you are having a hard time explaining your setup, take pictures of your engine and engine compartment and components and post them up, so the guys know the setup you are working on.

I went through this thread twice, the year, the engine and the transmission. Does not tell us what this is going IN. From your name is it a 71 duster?

Agree with previous posts- we need to know what the 318 is going into, and how it's equipped. Manual or power steering, especially.
I’ve already said it’s all above
74 318 , 904 ,
This does not tell us what you're putting it into, power or manual steering, etc.
If you refuse to give needed information, then you'll never find correct answers.
I'm tired of trying to pry info out of people. Bye.

@Johnny71dusty you were also told in your other thread that there were crossover years where LAs were transitioning to magnums and were called roller LAs they had a mix of both magnum cam shaft gear and LA rocker gear. Your engine is not weird at all. It just came from that time period.

NAPA used to sell a set of self tapping plugs for the emission holes in the head. Just screw them in tight and break the rest right off with a hammer. Done.

-
Back