318 police pursuit dual quad tunnel ram

-

j par

Well-hung Member
Reaction score
Hello! !!! I have been reading this forum all along my build, and just now became a member.
I seem to have done everything wrong to the wrong motor! (According to most I have read-not all).
318 NO! Long duration cam NO!! 360 heads NO!!! Dual quad tunnel ram with 2- 600 cfm's !!!! Have i lost my mind? ?!! (I hope so) it ran strong with one carb, but when that second one kicks in the yee haa factor go's through the roof!!!!

If you're happy with it, does it matter? If it's fast enough for you that's great. Have a blast!
If you want to see if it's actually fast take it to the track and tell us how you do.

There are some nasty '18's running around out there. Maybe yours is one of them. Don't let the fuel get old in the secondary floats.

I have a 318 in 70 swinger that runs low 12 second 1/4 miles passes with 318 iron heads , dont sell the your 318 short there really good motors

Equipping the 318 with the said wrong parts could mean a disaster for 1 of 2 things but probably not both at the same time. Ether you have built a engine that doesn't really perform well but is fun to drive assuming you have it dialed in OR you have built a really nice asphalt spitting, Chevy eating Ford stomping machine.

You really gave no combo details.

So, what did ya do? Pictures? Time slips, shots the compitiion crying in the back alley way?

I don't get it , 318 , why not ? 360 heads , sure if set up right , long duration , same , 2 600 why not , with the right heads and cam it will work , great top end I bet .

The 4" crank in the 318 seems to give better results than the 408.
I have been very impressed with the 318 stroker.

My friend has a stroker 318 with Eddy heads, Eddy Air Gap & Hugh's cam in a 1968 Barracuda (Street car).
Full interior & exhaust.
Has a Holley 950HP Alcohol carb on it, Cal Tracks & 10" slicks.
In good air, it wil run high 10.80's & in bad ait 11.00's.
Not too shabby.

So here is the story. I found the car on cl after a long search for a rust free mopar a body. 1973 duster. It was over a 100 miles from home and the pictures were vague at best. So I dig for as much information as possible.so the kid (young father) tells me him and his father worked in a Auto yard in the next state up.so they start with the pic of anything they need. They start at the slant 6 duster. grabs a 318 and 727 automatic out a 1983 Dodge diplomat police pursuit car,and a K frame out of a 68 Barracuda to put it on. lucked out and already had disc front breaks. I'm told before the motor went in they put new mains, rings (stock) , and a new mopar purple 284 D - 464 L cam. Said they tried x heads, but they were bad.so went with 360's.LDB4 intake, 1406 edelbrock. I was looking for rust free, I didn't even ckeck to see if the motor turned over! ! Took it home . pulled motor& transmission. Found complete 4 speed set up (so the ad said! Another story! !!) Got 8 1/4 rearend 355's, then sure grip. Put motor on stand. the numbers came out race engine or something like that so we took the pan of it did not have 4 bolt mains but it did have a windage tray. We put a new timing chain new water pump new fuel pump and resealed the motor. everything back together got it did Terrier and took off the bumpers. Found rims and tires from a 05 magnum? Cheaper than 14's?? Took off power steering , new headers, glass packs out side. Okay, last weekend at the local race track. Mind you all, this was the first time at the chrismas tree in my life! !! (That was like crack! I wanted more and more! !) 15.4 ? I was not finding traction til third gear. So last week I found some et slicks. And a couple of days ago my uncle and I have put on a dual quad tunnel ram! Started right up and ran like a bat out of hell! Especially when that second carb starts kicking in! but like stated I need to take it to the track to find the true time. would like to try it without the tires first and then after?

People who get too serious about cars and such tend to bore me, people like you having a hell of a lot of fun and doing your thing are great. People ask me why I do crazy unconventional stuff, I just tell them because I can.

I did stagger the carburetors, I actually used a shorter throw on the front carburetor and I ajusted wide open if that makes sense

Need help with pictures? I use my phone for Internet. The prompts on this site seem to be for computers?

Sounds like you're having fun which is all that matters. See how it goes, when it gets consistent and you can control the traction then you might want to think about different ideas based on what you want to do next.

The only thing that I would like to do this year is battery in the trunk. And fix whatever i break!
knock on wood! !!!! Trying to get pictures up

dual quads on a 318? hell I am planning on dual dominators on a /

The 4" crank in the 318 seems to give better results than the 408.
I have been very impressed with the 318 stroker.

My friend has a stroker 318 with Eddy heads, Eddy Air Gap & Hugh's cam in a 1968 Barracuda (Street car).
Full interior & exhaust.
Has a Holley 950HP Alcohol carb on it, Cal Tracks & 10" slicks.
In good air, it wil run high 10.80's & in bad ait 11.00's.
Not too shabby.
That sounds like something that should be elaborated on. I always thought the 318 block would have a couple of advantages over the 360 in a stroker: namely, less friction at the crank (smaller mains) and less rotating mass (lighter crank and pistons) for the 318, but that some of that would be offset by the 360's bigger bore (less valve shrouding) and cubes (18+). 340 blocks obviously have the best of both worlds, but I think 318 strokers are under-rated.

People who get too serious about cars and such tend to bore me, people like you having a hell of a lot of fun and doing your thing are great. People ask me why I do crazy unconventional stuff, I just tell them because I can.

I'm pretty much with this! People look at me sideways when I run a TQ. There heads spin when I whoop'em.

Why would you expect it to have 4 bolt mains?

because every other manufacturer offered a 4 bolt main HD small block.....'cept Mopar. Coming from another camp, you tend to carry over obvious motor traits. A teen is just a small 340 with street heads. Every 340 trick works on a teen.....just watch compression, ie dont go too low.

heres the thing ..... mopar people are a strange breed ...... most will do things that a ford(barf) guy would never try. or think of trying. people will point and giggle at us .... make there lame jokes at us. Thats ok tho thay will never understand and im not going to waist my time trying to exsplaneing it to them ..... Iv driven some fords and chevys but its just not the same .... driveing my GTX across montana on a early sunday morning ... sun at my back .... with over a 100 miles of strait .... flat road in my winshild ......... tack sittin at 4500 ..... 4 hundred and 40 cubes sounding off .... the AFB drinking the cool morning air like soft sweet sweet music ..... mite as well ask armstrong what it was like on the moon ....

-
Back