318 Power, with real street manners ?

-
Post 44-

...and the priceless satisfaction of whoopin' some *** with "just" a 318.

Hat's off.

9F56E190-CE8F-438D-99C9-18F9F5CBD2DA.jpeg
I got this puppy waiting in the wings. Going to copy the Satellite. A mini me car so to speak. It will be lighter & smaller. And I’ll spend money for a better more powerful 318. Might get the Scamp in the 12’s

The old diret connection/mopar performance books back in the day ( still arod???) simply gave formulars to get a certain weight/body into certain 1/4 mi time...... formular for engine build, gears, stall, weight, everything needed.... (even told how big a diet the driver needed! OK maybe not that!)....

A lot of good stuff guys. Keep it coming Thanks
At this point I'm just gathering input, before I start to buy parts. Can't afford to buy the wrong parts...you know what I mean. Then get the block ready.

View attachment 1715153085 I got this puppy waiting in the wings. Going to copy the Satellite. A mini me car so to speak. It will be lighter & smaller. And I’ll spend money for a better more powerful 318. Might get the Scamp in the 12’s
You might have come close to 12's with the Satellite if you would have shifted at 5500. I shift my factory assembled '76 stock pistons in my 318 at 5300 non stop. I've done to many 318's over the years. nothing to worry about. If i had headers, i'd be shifting the one i have now at 5500 for a fact.

The old diret connection/mopar performance books back in the day ( still arod???) simply gave formulars to get a certain weight/body into certain 1/4 mi time...... formular for engine build, gears, stall, weight, everything needed.... (even told how big a diet the driver needed! OK maybe not that!)....
Sure would like to see a print of that old Direct Connection" formula. (weight/engine/gears/stall).

You might have come close to 12's with the Satellite if you would have shifted at 5500. I shift my factory assembled '76 stock pistons in my 318 at 5300 non stop. I've done to many 318's over the years. nothing to worry about. If i had headers, i'd be shifting the one i have now at 5500 for a fact.

Hyup, That factory cam will pull pretty good if you let it. I liked it a lot with TTIs, a small-port CI intake, a TQ, and some better springs. I took it to 5500 all the time....... with an A998/wide-ratio, you kindof have to.

rustytoolss, check this out

IMG_0034.JPG

IMG_0038.JPG

IMG_0039.JPG

IMG_0037.JPG

sorry for bad picture using my phone

Last edited:
it alta be required reading before posting on the small block threads!
I've been out of the performance game for sometime now. And I will read up on small block performance improvements. Long ago raced 440's/440 six pac/ 426 Hemi. But never got involved with small blocks. Just looking for some input, Thanks.

This! The 2000 year catolog is the last year the catologs has the “Speed Tips” inside.
I will post a new thread and ask for it to be a sticky with the contents revealed.

image.jpg

That should be the required SB reading. All good info. I am sure some will say it is outdated,.. maybe somewhat, but it worked back then and it will work today.

I am sure some will say it is outdated,.. maybe somewhat, but it worked back then and it will work today.
Funkin-A! It sure will.

I have spoke with a few E-town racers over the years that told me they followed the “XX.xx” recipe to the tee and it was always reported to work run & ET better than expected. So, it works!

But, anybody saying it is outdated would be correct but by a small thin margin. You can always use a different cam or adjust the combo a bit with different parts for good results as long as it isn’t to far off base and out of wack. As of recently, the updated engine parts from top to bottom are ether better or just a race part over a stock part.

Areas of noted improvement are;

Air cleaners and elements
Carb or F.I.
Intakes
Heads
Cam, springs and lifters
Cranks, mostly stroke over the old MP max of 3.79 have grown.
Oils

Converters are getting better by custom modifiers
Clutches are really nice these days with grab vs. pedal effort
Suspension is good to great from the aftermarket.

The old speed tip section is also a (or mostly) MoPar part only list. Which was good back before the internet. It was awesome that the Chrysler Corp. had there HP & race department designed for us little guys. The grass roots racer. They gave you all you needed to know part for part, front to back, top to bottom.

I just wasn’t so amused by there promoting of the 6 pack intake for certain bracket areas. There really wasn’t a dual plane available at the time to take its place for what the 6 pack could do until Edelbrock came out with the RPM. An Air Gap model will perform best in its place with a single 4 bbl. a whole lot cheaper.

I do not know if the LD-340 would work as well. And the Weiand “Action Plus” was the other that could perform. I don’t know how well the older Weiand would do for an 11 second bracket engine.

-
Back