318 stalling while driving

-
Mattax,
Looking at post #12, how does the 4 pin ECU get power during cranking [ start ]?
Through the 1/2 ohm resistor.

It seems the ECU will operate down to 6 or 7 Volts. maybe one of the guys like @halifaxhops knows how much power they need but doesn't seem like much.
So take a worst case scenario during start, a battery that gets drawn down to 9 Volts and barely turning the starter.
Lets say the ECU is drawing 1 amp through the ohm resistor. V drop = 1 amp x .5 ohms, therfore the ECU is getting 1 amp at 8.5 Volts.

Last edited:
OK from what I have tesed at adle most draw 4 amps and running around 2 amps. They do noy like any voltage less that 10VDC

A little more background if anybody can help. The car‘s been running fine like a champ for the last 10 months getting 14 miles per gallon, no leaks, plenty of get up and go for a 76 ;) so this latest issue with it dying while driving along at 55 is fairly new just in the last couple weeks and then also it doesn’t seem to lope quite like it used to like maybe my timings off or?

Pull the vacuum advance and set timing without it, maybe it's on the wrong port...

Pull it and plug it at the carb...and get your timing set without it.
What RPM does the car idle at?

Your vac advance line should not be drawing at idle...likely it is on the wrong port.

What you said in post #35 confirms the vac adv is working.
What I said in post #9 now becomes more important. Did you read it?

Are you talking about the pickup wire from distributor? Or plug wires? Spark plugs and wires are new and have been fine for the past 3 months. New fuel tank, float etc about a year ago.
I’ll check wires this week
Thanks

Yes, the pick up wires. These wires flex with vac adv operation & eventually break. No spark & the problem is often intermittent.

If the dist has done a lot of miles AND the vac adv is hooked up [ & working ], the p/up wires may have finally broken from constant flexing. Disconnect plug & while wiggling the wires, check resistance. Should be 150-600 ohms & STEADY.
Other possibilities: plugged fuel filter, sock in the fuel tank blocked with debris.

Pick up measures at 394 ohms and steady
Car fired right up this morning and had no issues

ECU is new from our own halifaxhops and well grounded

64449AAD-7A16-473D-BAC2-9931F051EA95.jpeg

-
Back