318 stroker

-
318 with a 4inch stroke is about 390 ci and they are awsome you will not be disappointed

i have a friend that built one with a4 inch scat crank 308 heads ported soild cam and 273 rocker gear nothing fancy at all and there is very little diff from my 416 eddy headed engine. he is running a little more cam than my engine i think a 540/555 lift 255/260 dur@50 it runs real good anyways i really like the strokers the torque is very inpressive .

I would love to build a 318 stroker because the person I bought my Cuda from has the numbers matching 318. I have a 1970 340 motor to be built and it would be cheaper. Just thought it would be cool to have the original 318 with balls!!

I think I would do the 340, and paint it like a 318. How well can you unshroud the intakes with the smaller 318 bores? I've read build ups, but can't remember if they opened up the top of the cylinder a bit. I ran X heads on a 318, lost some compression, but I was satisfied with the power. I think I had a Comp XE cam?

I'm collecting parts to do a 349 using a 68 318 block, J heads, small Comp Thumper cam, MP 360 stroke crank and clevite pistons with valve reliefs cut. I just want a mild build for my wife's 65 Cuda and something a little different.

I was thinking..318 Stroker kit with J heads,not too aggressive HYD cam, LD340 intake, and 750 Holley carb.I think it should perform well.??

Craig...ever wonder why the Engineers went to 3.92 bore and 3.58 stroke for the 5.7 hemi?
al

At what compression ratio Craig?

A 10-1 ratio would be a 72 cc head and a .054 gasket with the slug down .125. Food for thought.

In this configuration and open exhaust, a Comp cam around 280 advertised duration w/.480 lift would make something like 355+ hp at a low 5500 RPM with mounds of torque. Most probably 400+ lbs. from idle to 4500.

If you get a good porting done on the head, which should be equal to and a lot cheaper than Edelbrock heads, you'll gain a good 40 HP+ and torque. It would be about 1 hp & lbs. per cube. I myself would also run a 1.6 rocker. (.512 gross lift, you'll net a slight less)

And IMO, you could still use more head.

I certainly would not worry about valve shrouding. If I was racing, well, yea, there is a reason they un shroud valves in race engines. However, Chevy never worried about it and the current engines are excellent power makers. The 5.7 HEMI has a small bore. In fact, it's just like someone's 349 above.

Hummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I see someone beat me to that while I was typing away. I don't think it was a purposeful design myself, just keeping with current practices.

I was thinking..318 Stroker kit with J heads,not too aggressive HYD cam, LD340 intake, and 750 Holley carb.I think it should perform well.??

Sounds good.
A ported set of J's would be killer , but even still.. some 2.02 j heads with a good throat cut and multi angle valve job would work great and have enough flow for around 460'ish hp

At Bigall, that has one hell of a front belt! Thick!

Thanks Rumblefish. I would like to hear more comments??? Advice?

Na, none, enjoy. Just consider compression ratio when building.
Entertain a lot of camshafts when deciding.

I would love to build a 318 stroker because the person I bought my Cuda from has the numbers matching 318. I have a 1970 340 motor to be built and it would be cheaper. Just thought it would be cool to have the original 318 with balls!!
I would,ve asked for the #,s matching engine with the deal for future build.I say build a stroked 390c.I and save the 340 under the bench for a later time.JMO

I would run the 340 and save the numbers matching 318 as is for the future. If you ever wanted the fish to be 100% original again. My 2 cents worth.

I would,ve asked for the #,s matching engine with the deal for future build.I say build a stroked 390c.I and save the 340 under the bench for a later time.JMO
Scott, I do get the #'s matching 318.That is why I'm thinking of stroking it! #'s matching 318 torque monster! lol..

I would run the 340 and save the numbers matching 318 as is for the future. If you ever wanted the fish to be 100% original again. My 2 cents worth.
Hey Clint, I have thought that way as well. I'm for sure on a budget,but also want to keep up with the boy's! lol..

If it comes close to what your video shows I'll look like the joker with permanent smile!! lol..

You port those heads, put a good cam in there, headers and good exhaust it will make torque like a big block for sure....

-
Back