318 to 340 swap.

-

cr.dave

Reaction score
hello I'm new to mopar so sorry for my stupid questions. But I have a 1966 dodge dart. Right now it has a non running 318 and i was looking to swap it out with a 340. My question is this conversion a direct bolt in or will I have to do some fab work or get special motor mount to get the 340 in the car?

Its a bolt in with the right motor mounts. Schumacher makes them. The only thing that really changes is one of the mounts and the change is pretty slight. I dont recall whether its left or right side, believe its the drivers side. You can modify the 318 mount to work by doing some minor welding, basically adding an ear to the old mount for one of the bolts. Otherwise its a straight up swap.

I'd be sure to check whether your tranny, cooling system and rear axle are up to the increase in power, and consider improving your braking capabilities. Headers would be a nice improvement as well. Spitfire makes shorties that fit pretty well, or TTI if you dont mind tearing the front suspension apart to get them in.

A great swap done many times.

one suggestion, if you cant swing the cost for headers as they are getting expensive make sure you keep the exhaust manifolds that are on the current motor,,if they are correct and fit,,,they are 1964 thru 66 only,,,1967 and newer will be different,,, so dont buy and headers maked A body,,,make sure they are for the early A 1964 thur 66,,several styles to choose from these days but pricy,,,some will require cutting inner fender wells,,,some more some less,,,ask around on here before you spend money on the wrong parts,,,also do you have power steering??? most headers made for these cars do not fit with power steerring,,,

As mentioned above the 64-66 exhaust is is exclusive to the 64-66 (early A-Bodies)

Do you currently have a 318? what mounts do you have now?

You need the correct 64-66 A-Body small block mounts, the driver side (left) will need washers/spacers between the mount and the block, the right side will need a tab welded on for the lower rear bolt. The 318 would need the same tab welded on but depending on what year may not need the washers/spacers. Or you can buy the conversion from Schumacher for like $150.

Ditto as above assuming that the car is an original V8 and the replacement 318 you have is in the car with the original 273 mounts, manifolds, brackets, etc. Add a short air cleaner and 4bbl kickdown linkage to your parts list. Also, when you have the engine out of the car, check to see what (if anything) was done to match the crank to convertor as a 318 crank doesn't match a '67 and older 273 convertor. You might need a bushing to center the convertor button in the end of the crank. This is an important and often overlooked step in the conversion process.
Thanks, Mark

I dont think you'll need new motor mounts. The only difference is the drivers side one needs to have have a few spacers installed. You can reuse the stock pass side mount

Is there any change to the flexplate or torque converter?

Thanks for the help

Cory

Only reason you would have to chance the converter, or flex-plate (assuming you already have a later 27 spline 904, or a 727) is if you 340 is a late one with a cast crank. They were externally balanced and the converters had balance weights on them. I know 1973 340's were that way, but not sure about 1972 ones. But not that big of deal. That make flex plates with weights on them so you can keep your converter. On the mounts I would change them to the Schumacher ones. Not cheep. But I just switched over to there polly lock mounts, and there torque strap. Now way I will brake another mount!! Boy are they nice, and worth every penny.

attached are pictures of passanger side mount mod needed. Use old 318 4 mount block to weld on and fitting. Drivers side just needed a spacer on one ear, so simple I failed to take pictures of it. 904 transmission is smaller size wise to 727, may effect exhaust clearance. 904 can be built to handle horse power demands very easy today.

Attachments

• 03-2012 stock 318 bracket.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 399
  • 03-2012 modified 318 bracket.JPG
    87.5 KB · Views: 365
Good updated info on an old thread. FABO rocks! I wonder if cr.dave got his worked out. With only a couple post im guessin not.

-
Back