340/360 intake choice for high 11s

-

7e5hangten360

semi-pro
Reaction score
hi guys! just wondering what intake you would choose for an eleven second car, small block, 75 dart. 3 choices: edelbrock ld340, edelbrock air gap or holley strip dominator ? i used an ld 340 on a 340 to go 12.14, and liked off the line torque (1.66 60 ft). tried a torker 2 and the car slowed down .1 sec. now i am building a 360 that should be more powerfull and i could use any of the first 3 intakes .engine program camquest6 favors single planes like the strip dominator. for myself, i would tend to think the strip dom would react like the torker 2 did and slow the car down. i will not shift anywhere past 6500 rpms for reliability reasons and personnal preferrence .also, i use the car 50-50 street vs race. for those who have been there, let me know your preference for best et. :salut:

For a 50/50 car there has to be a trade off somewhere so I would also go with the airgap even tho I run a reworked TM5

Air gap works on my high 11 second car.

I would avoid the single plane, especially at those RPM levels and on a street car.

I would use the Air-gap. My car has gone 10.8’s with an Airgap. Just recently I put my Victor intake back on, but I think my car is right on the edge where the Victors higher HP outweighs the better torque of the Air-gap. The Air-gap is a great all around intake.

I agree, ya preety much have to have a fairly stout engine to run a single plane intake. Run the air gap or the LD-340 second. Even more so since IIRC, you said 50/50 street/strip car.

What about using an M1 single plane? They seem to be more streetable than most single planes.

Just remember for best et. you need to set up the hole car, rear end, trans, eng and elect. and tires. and what length track. 1/8 or 1/4. my car runs the same on both the rpm air gap and single plain M1, it seems that the M1 is better in the mid range and is more consistent . what ever is less expensive go with. Good Luck Gary

You will be happier with one of the Edelbrock dual plane intakes. I've also found the Weiand Stealth to be pretty good. It was at least a tenth or so slower than my Holley Strip Dominator on my race only car, but I have more gear, converter and cam duration than you should ever consider for the street, plus my engine barely ever goes under 5,000 rpm after I launch. Taking the time to fine-tune the accellerator pump squirters, pump cams, jets and power valve can get you even better performance (and manners) both on the street and at the track.

What about using an M1 single plane? They seem to be more streetable than most single planes.

I've heard that the M-1 is very similar to a Holley Strip Dominator.
When I had a W-2 set-up in my old bracket Challenger, I found that the Edelbrock Victor had a deeper plenum than the Holley Strip Dominator for the W-2 heads. I would guess that the same would be true for the standard head versions and could explain why the Holley may have a little more torque at lower rpms. But I've never seen a comparison on paper or on a dyno nor tried to make a back-to-back comparison back then. But I usually ran the Holley with very satisfying results.

So we have decided that the air gap is a good contender for the OP's request, but how fast can you go with an airgap?

Sooo prob like 8's then huh!??

9's wouldn't be too far-fetched. The intake could be a bottle-neck. Ported perhaps?

8's ????? You never know if some ambitious individual might try it just to see if it's possible.

Look how fast "Stock Appearing" cars are!

I have tried the torker II and Holley SD on my 400hp 360, the torker II seemed more responsive on the street and they feel about equal up top, i have a 4,400 stall, i would think the air gap or ld340, i'm going to try a LD next season.

The strip dominator and the M-1 are almost identical, including that stupid spread bore carb pad and goofy 90* angle from the carb out to the runners. I run a strip dominator that is heavily worked over to correct that issue.

The strip dominator and the M-1 are almost identical, including that stupid spread bore carb pad and goofy 90* angle from the carb out to the runners. I run a strip dominator that is heavily worked over to correct that issue.
Yep in stock form they are week, i put a lot of work into mine also, they also have core shift and the runners needed a bunch of work to "line up"

Attachments

• 082 (640x480).jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 380
  • 090 (640x480).jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 364
:thumrigh:

attachment.php

Is that your handiwork?

-
Back