340 build plan for the second time!

-

smartken22

U.S. Navy Senior Chief
Reaction score
OK guys, after talking with multiple machine shops around town I have found one that I trust. Hopefully I will not get screwed a second time like I did with Crooks (Brooks) Performance! I am planning to go to Lawrence Auto Machine in Hanford, Ca. Talking with him and showing him my motor, this guy knows Mopars! Here is the planned build he recommended:

1) Pistons: He is going to use the ones I had in there and re-ring them and clean up the cylinder walls. They still have the crosshatching from the last build 40k miles ago. Pistons are KB107 0.30 over. Compression ratio is going to be 9:1
2) The rods and crank are forged already so he will clean them up and turn the crank.
3) Cam: He recommended the Comp Cams XE275HL. Specs are Hydraulic flat tappet, 0.525 lift, 0.275 duration intake, 0.287 duration exhaust on a 110 lobe separation. He can get the kit that comes with the valve springs, keepers, lifters, and timing chain. I talked to him about a roller cam and he said I could run a roller cam setup, however the block would need to be machined because the lifter valleys are chamfered. Not sure what that means. I will have to research that.
4) Heads: My stock J heads already have work done to them and have 2.02/1.6 valves in them. He plans to port match intake/headers and modify heads to match the cam.
5) Blue print balance short block. I have to provide him the damper and flywheel and he will blueprint and balance it.
6) Kevko oil pan with no windage tray. He told me to ditch the stock oil pan/windage tray!
7) ARP head bolts, rod bolts.
8 Harland Sharp roller rockers 1.5 ratio
9) Comp cams pushrods: 7958-16
10) Holley 770 Ultra Street Avenger DP
11) MSD Pro Billet Distributor
12) MSD 6AL-2 Ignition
13) MSD Blaster 2 coil
14) MSD wires
15) Holley 150HP electric fuel pump to feed everything

Of course I have to wait until I can recoup this money back from Crooks Performance before I start the build. Cost for parts comes out to $2100 and I am looking at around $500 for the machining. He will assemble the short block and I will build the rest. What do you all think?

I am at a loss on this then because those pistons pictured definitely came out of my 71 340 block. They were mic'd at 0.030 over. Am I reading that piston skirt wrong?

No they are kb107 pistons.I just sold my 360 about a year or so ago and i had same piston at 30 over!Either they gave you different pistons or you have 360 block.Have you checked passenger side of block.It will be stamped on side.Take pics of block and the numbers onside of block.

Here is a picture

No they are kb107 pistons.I just sold my 360 about a year or so ago and i had same piston at 30 over!Either they gave you different pistons or you have 360 block.Have you checked passenger side of block.It will be stamped on side.Take pics of block and the numbers onside of block.

Attachments

• IMG_0366.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 287
Then it has to be a 40 over piston because 340 factory bore is 4.040 and a 360 bored 40 over is the same!

Hmmm...makes sense. This situation just gets more and more interesting. The original builder told me they were 0.30 over. I do not have a mic, is there another way to check and see what size they are. The new machinist has not checked the bores and sizes yet, just looked at it and planned the build.

Then it has to be a 40 over piston because 340 factory bore is 4.040 and a 360 bored 40 over is the same!

But if it works run it!You will have good compression!If it is zero decked with jheads you will be 9.5 to 9.8!If you buy closed chamber eddy heads it would be 10.5+!Gonna be awesome build!Had my 360 setup with eddy heads,kb107 pistons zero decked and xs274 solid cam and it had 10.7 comp about 440 hp.Never ran it and sold it!

fit...?

kb 107 have a compression height of 1.67......a 340 kb 243 has a compression height of 1.84....those kb107 are going to be way down in the hole....

about .170.....

good compression....LOL...maybe 6 to 1..

He would need to zero deck them if not,measure how far and mill the heads.If it was me zero deck the block!I've never had 340 but alot of 360's and 383's!I've got a 383 built now.But i used kb400s and they sit .024 in the hole.Wished i would decked block now!

He would need to zero deck them if not,measure how far and mill the heads.If it was me zero deck the block!

only way to zero deck them is to cut the block .170

simple and cheaper to buy a piston that is designed for a 3.31 stroke...

Should I just go with a different piston to be on the safe side? Here are some measurements with a ruler. Not sure if that even helps.

Attachments

• IMG_0387.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 303
If you have extra money definately!It would be cheaper but those can be made to work.aarcuda is right!I am use to 360's!In a 360 they give more compression.

He would need to zero deck them if not,measure how far and mill the heads.If it was me zero deck the block!I've never had 340 but alot of 360's and 383's!I've got a 383 built now.But i used kb400s and they sit .024 in the hole.Wished i would decked block now!

it is simple math....

3.31/2 = 1.655 + 6.123 + 1.67 = 9.448

smalll block mopar deck height.... 9.590 - 9.448 = .142 down in the bore....

can you cut .142 off the deck of a block or off the heads.....good luck

OK sounds good. I will probably end up doing that then. Not going to go forged though. Any recommendations on pistons? I will take to block to get it checked for tolerances once I get some moolah!

Always over build you engine for the intended app. That way it will take whatever you throw at it.

Just out of curiosity - why is this the "2nd time"? Has the new shop actually measured anything yet?

so i am taking that you got your motor back from the other place? if so congrats and good luck with your build

-
Back