340 duster 4 speed clutch pedal?

-

flathead31coupe

Reaction score
So I picked up a duster today with a 340 4 speed my question is, it's been a while since I have driven a 4 speed but I noticed that to clutch is super heavy and comes up pretty far off the floor before it will release, everything seems to shift. Good but it seems like the pedal sits high that makes any sense ... The guy I bought it from said it had a racing clutch

Check your release gap. It matters what friction materials you have too and if the disc has a sprung center hub or is solid.. Metallic grab hot , organic slips hot. You need to identify your pressure plate style too. Good luck. You'll get it!

I have the same feel and I love it. When you get on it the clutch hood right off the surface and you gear is there right away.
Some say it’s for racing but that’s just how I drive.

Thanks for the replies. I had another question what controls how high the clutch pedal is. Also can anyone identify this shifter knob.

Screenshot_20240210_190020_Facebook.jpg

Last edited:
Hurst handle? Hurst super shifter, early model that the reverse lockout is an add on handle.

Thanks.... What about the clutch pedal hight... It seems that it has free travelwith the clutch. All the way out. I can push the clutch pedal down almost in line with the brake pedal and it makes no difference. It's like there should be an adjustment for the pedal height

Thanks.... What about the clutch pedal hight... It seems that it has free travelwith the clutch. All the way out. I can push the clutch pedal down almost in line with the brake pedal and it makes no difference. It's like there should be an adjustment for the pedal height

First off, no clutch should push hard. That’s a bad thing.

Second, you have to know what the pressure plate is. A B&B cover requires a different pedal ratio than does a Long style or Diaphram clutch.

You need to know what you are working with.

First off, no clutch should push hard. That’s a bad thing.

Second, you have to know what the pressure plate is. A B&B cover requires a different pedal ratio than does a Long style or Diaphram clutch.

You need to know what you are working with.
Thanks, it doesn't push hard. It releases easy and then heavy lifting up.
The car shifts great..

that shift knob is for hurst street super shifter, you had to pull over to reverse and push down on handle to get reverse , i've had one before,

Assuming your car came with one, you may be missing the pedal stop bumper. If it is missing, the clutch pedal will be higher than the brake pedal. Here's what I am referring to:

https://www.yearone.com/Product/chrysler-a-body/fd6820

Thanks. It does not have One of those
Sure, they get banged out over the years and end up in a vacuum cleaner. : ) Pop that bumper into the slot. I would definitely check clutch pedal free play afterwards so as not to burn up the throwout bearing. You should have an inch or so of free play. Sounds like your clutch is already engaging high on the pedal so I would definitely check it.

Sure, they get banged out over the years and end up in a vacuum cleaner. : ) Pop that bumper into the slot. I would definitely check clutch pedal free play afterwards so as not to burn up the throwout bearing. You should have an inch or so of free play. Sounds like your clutch is already engaging high on the pedal so I would definitely check it.
OK thanks

You can stop the pedal wherever you want and then reset the freeplay.
By setting the "freeplay" you are actually adjusting the "clutch departure which is usually set to around .080; but this can vary with clutch type and personal preference. Departure is the only measurement to be concerned about.
After you get where you like it, just figure out the minimum pedal-travel required for a clean shift and there is no need to depress any further. As the disc wears, the pedal travel will increase. At the top of the pedal travel, where it parks, is OFF the fingers. It doesn't have to come off much, but it does have to, else the TO bearing will wear out prematurely.
In neutral with the engine running, Try putting it into reverse. If it grinds, the main drive is spinning. Something may be wrong. It could be that the clutch-disc is spinning from lack of departure or it is warped, or not running concentric with the crankshaft. Or it could simply be that the trans oil is real thin, and you have to wait a half a sec.
When I select reverse, to not have it grind; I push the pedal down a lil further than usual, then I hesitate, and then I jam it in there! .................. cuz I'm running a 50/50 mix of Dextron-II and 85/90 Gear oil, which when hot is pretty runny.. and I run a pretty tight freeplay/pretty tight departure, just enough of each, to get the job done.

You can stop the pedal wherever you want and then reset the freeplay.
By setting the "freeplay" you are actually adjusting the "clutch departure which is usually set to around .080; but this can vary with clutch type and personal preference. Departure is the only measurement to be concerned about.
After you get where you like it, just figure out the minimum pedal-travel required for a clean shift and there is no need to depress any further. As the disc wears, the pedal travel will increase. At the top of the pedal travel, where it parks, is OFF the fingers. It doesn't have to come off much, but it does have to, else the TO bearing will wear out prematurely.
In neutral with the engine running, Try putting it into reverse. If it grinds, the main drive is spinning. Something may be wrong. It could be that the clutch-disc is spinning from lack of departure or it is warped, or not running concentric with the crankshaft. Or it could simply be that the trans oil is real thin, and you have to wait a half a sec.
When I select reverse, to not have it grind; I push the pedal down a lil further than usual, then I hesitate, and then I jam it in there! .................. cuz I'm running a 50/50 mix of Dextron-II and 85/90 Gear oil, which when hot is pretty runny.. and I run a pretty tight freeplay/pretty tight departure, just enough of each, to get the job done.
How do adjust the pedal where I want it when it hits the rubber stop that's as far as it goes.at that point it sit above the brake pedal almost an inch

I have a question as in the above post. Number 14 said that I can adjust the pedal to anywhere that I want and then adjust the freeplay every. If the clutch paddle comes up to the rubberebumper , how can I just that any differently... With the clutch paddle resting on the rubber bumper , it is still higher than the brake pedal, Also I was doing research and found that there is different clutch paddle ratio. Assemblies from the slant 6 to the V8. Can anyone explain how I can tell what I have by looking thanks

Last edited:
I have a question as in the above post. Number 14 said that I can adjust the pedal to anywhere that I want and then adjust the freeplay every. If the clutch paddle comes up to the rubberebumper , how can I just that any differently... With the clutch paddle resting on the rubber bumper , it is still higher than the brake pedal, Also I was doing research and found that there is different clutch paddle ratio. Assemblies from the slant 6 to the V8. Can anyone explain how I can tell what I have by looking thanks

I can't say I am that familiar with post 69 A bodies. But I do not believe the clutch pedal is adjustable. On the bumper and that's it. @AJ/FormS may know different. Have you considered your brake pedal is too low for whatever reason?

You can't adjust where clutch pedal stops when its all the way released because the steel lever hits the rubber bumper. If you want clutch and brake pedals same height you can get different length brake rod that goes from brake pedal into master cylinder.

I finally had a chance to pull the over center.Spring out of my duster haven't had a chance to drive it yet.Can someone look at this picture and tell me?If this is the proper over center spring it looks awful big to me but i'm not sure. Does anyone have a pic of the proper Spring?If this is not correct thanks.. It has a diaphragm clutch..

20240418_113826.jpg

Last edited:
I always adjust my clutch by removing the inspection cover and adjusting the linkage so there is about 1/8- 3/16" gap between the throw out bearing and the pressure plate fingers. The bearing should not ride on the pressure plate until you depress the pedal. The free play will be good as long as the adjustment is correct. There is no pedal adjustment, just clutch adjustment.

That looks like the stock spring. What type of clutch you running? You’ll want that if your running a a borg & beck style.

-
Back