340 Engine Shake

-
Here are the pictures of the teardown. Ran out of steam tonight. Still have to remove oil pan and check bearings.

What has me concerned the most is the combustion chamber of the cylinder heads and the cylinder bores. Did I lose a head gasket? It looks to me like coolant was getting in one or more of the cylinders. Not sure.what to make of the cam lobes.

IMG_20220903_221356052_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220903_221253877.jpg

IMG_20220903_221237244_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220903_220837015.jpg

IMG_20220903_220828672.jpg

IMG_20220903_220820904.jpg

IMG_20220903_214013553.jpg

IMG_20220903_214001744.jpg

IMG_20220903_213951660.jpg

All looks pretty good so far. #1 piston looks cleaner than the rest, might be a bit of 'steam cleaning' going on because of the cleaner looking crown of the piston. Some coolant leakage?

All looks pretty good so far. #1 piston looks cleaner than the rest, might be a bit of 'steam cleaning' going on because of the cleaner looking crown of the piston. Some coolant leakage?

That's what I was wondering. What do you think of the combustion chambers on the heads? Looks odd to me, but I'm no engine builder.

Here are the pictures of the teardown. Ran out of steam tonight. Still have to remove oil pan and check bearings.

What has me concerned the most is the combustion chamber of the cylinder heads and the cylinder bores. Did I lose a head gasket? It looks to me like coolant was getting in one or more of the cylinders. Not sure.what to make of the cam lobes.

View attachment 1715980431

View attachment 1715980432

View attachment 1715980433

View attachment 1715980434

View attachment 1715980435

View attachment 1715980436

View attachment 1715980437

View attachment 1715980438

View attachment 1715980439
The staining in the head pockets does not look like rust from coolant, I would say that is fuel coloration caused by uneven fuel distribution from the intake manifold. Those cylinders are a tad richer than the others.
The pattern on the cam lobes looks normal.
The lifter bores will need to be measured to see if they a within spec, remember that the lifter must be able to rotate in the bore, if it does not it will wipe that lobe right off the cam in a short amount of time.

It's all a big POS. Box it all up and send it to me.

I like to make acoupla strokes in the lifter bores with a brake hone, to ensure lifter rotation.
Those look virgin .
How do the bottom of the lifters look ?
jmo

On another subject, is it wise to run a dual plane intake on a throttle body injected motor? I dont think the TBI knows which side to spray in, so it sprays fuel even on the sides not sucking air. This could cause poorer performance on the low end. Just a theory on mine.

Look at both sides of the fire ring on the head gaskets. That will tell you if it’s passing coolant. There is definitely some weird distribution, and possibly steam cleaning. I thought your mechanic verified a wiped lobe on the cam?

Look at both sides of the fire ring on the head gaskets. That will tell you if it’s passing coolant. There is definitely some weird distribution, and possibly steam cleaning. I thought your mechanic verified a wiped lobe on the cam?

I'll post some pictures of the head gasket. Well the tech thought it was bad lifters at first. Mainly because, they would clater when started up cold along with the tick when the engine would shutter.

After pulling the intake to replace the lifters, he didn't like the wear pattern on the cam, and that lead him to drain the oil and cut open the filter which revealed the glitter in the oil. He didn't say we lost a lobe we just assumed by all the glitter.

On another subject, is it wise to run a dual plane intake on a throttle body injected motor? I dont think the TBI knows which side to spray in, so it sprays fuel even on the sides not sucking air. This could cause poorer performance on the low end. Just a theory on mine.

I've read it both ways and the efi manufacture says its fine to run a dual plane. I actually have a 1" spacer to help with the distribution.

I've read it both ways and the efi manufacture says its fine to run a dual plane. I actually have a 1" spacer to help with the distribution.
Well a Carb only supplies fuel to the barrel that is being used, but a tbi blows fuel in all barrels whether they are being used or not, so with a spacer you will still have too much air in half of the carb and not enough in the other. I would think this would cause some kind of imbalance.

Well a Carb only supplies fuel to the barrel that is being used, but a tbi blows fuel in all barrels whether they are being used or not, so with a spacer you will still have too much air in half of the carb and not enough in the other. I would think this would cause some kind of imbalance.

I'm no expert and yes there is tons of threads that argue with ways. But Fitech themselves and our own board seems to agree it doesn't matter. edelbrock air gap divider and FITech

I'm no expert and yes there is tons of threads that argue with ways. But Fitech themselves and our own board seems to agree it doesn't matter. edelbrock air gap divider and FITech

I only brought it up, because, it potentially could skew the AFR at idle speeds which could in an engine that had varying compression ratio between cylinders, cause the engine to misfire and shake. Just spitballing here, not looking for a fight.

I only brought it up, because, it potentially could skew the AFR at idle speeds which could in an engine that had varying compression ratio between cylinders, cause the engine to misfire and shake. Just spitballing here, not looking for a fight.

I understand and I appreciate it. I think the system relies on a map signal and with a dual plan it could throw it off. But I haven't had any issues with air fuel ratio so far so I think the spacer is doing what it needs to do..

I understand and I appreciate it. I think the system relies on a map signal and with a dual plan it could throw it off. But I haven't had any issues with air fuel ratio so far so I think the spacer is doing what it needs to do..
If your engine was still together I would suggest trying it without the spacer and with more spacers to see if it made any difference in the running of the engine.

PS. I am also interested because I am adding a fitech to my 340, and I am hoping to avoid such issues. I have an airgap, a Torker and Torker 2, plus the original iron dual plane that barely fits under the hood with the carb.

If your engine was still together I would suggest trying it without the spacer and with more spacers to see if it made any difference in the running of the engine.

PS. I am also interested because I am adding a fitech to my 340, and I am hoping to avoid such issues. I have an airgap, a Torker and Torker 2, plus the original iron dual plane that barely fits under the hood with the carb.

The engine is not together, it's torn down to figure out where the glitter was coming from. I still have to take the crank and pistons out and check the mains.

All that being said. I researched the heck out of Fitech back in 2017, when I bought it. I feel like I avoided all the common mistakes with emi interference, grounding, replacing the faulty coolant sensor that comes with the unit, etc. So I already had the air gap and added a one inch open spacer. I've heard of guys also miling the center divider. There are a few threads on here if you search Fitech. One of them is a tuning thread that has a lot of great information. Also, Google and you will find another from a Chevelle forum. These are great because they were created when Fitech was fairly new.

All that being said, if I could do it over, I probably would've went with the Edelbrock PRO FLO 4 port injection. But just a matter of opinion. The Fitech so far has really been great. I do not believe the trouble I was having was in my tune, but time will tell.

Sorry to read of your misery, thanks for all the documentation.
Wanted to ask if anyone has ever had a cam company replace one because of wiping a lobe, or lifter failure?
Please send your cam back to the mfg. THEY will measure it and tell you if its within spec.
This info will help all of us!

Wanted to ask if anyone has ever had a cam company replace one because of wiping a lobe, or lifter failure?
Please send your cam back to the mfg. THEY will measure it and tell you if its within spec.
I have. A hydraulic roller from comp. The surface hardening was inadequate after being tested. I sent it to them, they tested it, and sent me a new one.

I have. A hydraulic roller from comp. The surface hardening was inadequate after being tested. I sent it to them, they tested it, and sent me a new one.
I dont send them back, my wife likes to use them for tomato stakes. LOL

Last edited:
I wouldn't mind sending this one back, just out of pure curiosity.

Thanks for sticking with me on this. More to come in this week, when I get the pistons and crank out.

It's all good. I'm just thankful, I have an understanding wife.

-
Back