340 Engine

-

brucee340

Reaction score
hi, to all engine builders.
i have 70 340 good block, and $7500. who can build me a 450 hp engine.
it will be going into 69 dart vert, i have 904.( need rebuild), 9 1/4 rear(i do not know how good 9 1/4 is). please do not ask me a question what am i going to do 450 hp engine,i do not know anything about motor,other than basic turn up,oil change.
thanks

OK, lets cover some basics about what you want the car to do and act, what it will be for.

Daily driver or street strip. Perhaps strip only?
What gear ratio do you want to run?
Is a high stall converter out of the question?
And how high is to high?
What do you want the car to do in the 1/4 mile or is it a in general performance machine?

The 9-1/4 is plenty strong.

paxton makes a pretty nice lookin blower set up. not sure what they re gettin for em though. might be worth lookin into.

it will be street car. 1/4 mile mid 11sec or 12sec

Im going to come off as being rude here, but that is what it takes sometimes.

You had another post trying to get this 340 built and I must say…. When you walk around with more money than brains you can expect to be ripped off.

My friend…. It's time to grab some engine books and start reading.

In the real world…. A 340 running 11s in a street car will cost you.. and won't really be very practical.

For example…. My car. 340, 4 speed and 3.91 gears…. Now before I started de-tuning my car it did run 11.78 @ 118mph and was a "street car"…

Now everyone has a different idea of what a street car is….

This is what you can expect from a mid 11 second 340 (not stroked-naturally aspirated)

I got 10 mpg on the highway if I was lucky.

With almost 12-1 compression I had (not optional) to run a 50-50 mix of Super Unleaded and 110 octane Race Fuel. This is over $100 to fill a stock tank.

You can do the math on the fuel cost.

The large cam (mine is a solid roller) and high rpm needed to get a 340 into the 11s will greatly reduce the valve train (spring) life….. What I'm saying here is your 340 may run 11s when fresh but after 2-3000 miles you will need to replace the valve springs.

This is my world….. I have exactly what you are asking about.

Oh…. Remember… You will need a full cage to even use any of that power at a track with your vert.

But none of that really matters….. You will just kill your self in it anyway…. I say this because…. You have no clue…. Just cash and think you need to be in the 11s.

yes ,i did post 340 build and i ask fabo member opinion that how much machine shop charge me. you all said get myself out of there so i did. now i am asking for your help again who can build me a 340.thanks

If you want a streetable engine that will run 11s you need to put a 4" crank in there with some ported heads. Here is a good book on sb strokers:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1932494065/?tag=joeychgo-20

Brucee340, I would 2nt that book! I have it, and it's easy to read and understand! Lots of picture as well, that help out.

Even if you can't grasp all, thats in this book, you will be able to answer questing that will make for a much better built eng, that you will be happy with.........no matter what the HP/tq ### are!!!!!!!!

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS BOOK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's not just the engine but everything else behind it that needs to work in concert with each other. I've been down this road before when I was a lot younger and quickly discovered that either you're going to have a street car or a race car. Trying to mix the two together and you'll get a street car that is hard to drive and not very comfortable.

1968FormulaS340 hit it right on target. HIs words are from experience. The cost just for fuel is very excessive and you'll go through a tank of gas very quickly. Get your car to look good, build a reliable street engine that has some snot and enjoy it. Put your money into not just the enigne but into a convertor, trans, rear and some suspension work. Having a ton of power is one thing, but if you can't get it to the ground, you just wasted your money and time.

Just my humble opinion.

Ken

i am at md i told averyone when i join fabo i do not know anything about engine. i do not know how, what,to ask.so i have to buy the book learn myself.
hey 1968formula340. i work hard for my money.i worked 12hours 7days a week.last 5 years,so don't tell me a more money than brains.

physixx is right ! besides your going to have 2K just in the 904, converter, trans pan and cooler for it to live behind a 11 sec car. you also need to tie the frame together if you indeed plan to run 11's with a vert!!!

I'm with the 2 harsh and honest opinions, I laos been down that road a tad, but if that's what he wants.......

68FormulaS340, post up the old specs if ya remember them or gottem.
You to Physixx.

WIth just 340 cubes, I figure a cam duration @ .050 starting with 250 would be a min, single plane, ported heads, large tube header, big stall to match with at least ....4.30's?

OH crap, he has a vert, damn, I missed that. Extra weight. OK, more cam and gear.
Go roller duration @ .050 260 and port for 600 lift and 4.88's
That'll getcha going.

Any engine is reliable, for 450hp in a 340, use forged pistons, good aftermarket rods, forged crank, main studs, oil mods to block with good oil system, have the block bores sonic checked, and have the block cracked checked closely in the lifter bores before you do anything.

I did a 455Hp 340 for a customer of mine who street drove it all over the place.
Not too difficult, hell I didn't even pick the cam!!
Street ported edelbrock heads, KB piston'd 340 w/stock rods, Comp XS282S solid FT cam, 1.6 rockers, victor intake, 950HP carb and 1 3/4 headers. I can post the dyno sheet if you'd like.
Same combo using a 4" crank and no other changes should pick up TQ about 40-50ft.lbs. and HP about 55 or so.
Compression was 10:1.

I'm with the 2 harsh and honest opinions, I laos been down that road a tad, but if that's what he wants.......

68FormulaS340, post up the old specs if ya remember them or gottem.
You to Physixx.

WIth just 340 cubes, I figure a cam duration @ .050 starting with 250 would be a min, single plane, ported heads, large tube header, big stall to match with at least ....4.30's?

OH crap, he has a vert, damn, I missed that. Extra weight. OK, more cam and gear.
Go roller duration @ .050 260 and port for 600 lift and 4.88's
That'll getcha going.

Ok these are some of the specs on my engine.

Its a standard bore 340. (My original engine)

Cam: Crower Solid Street Roller. #3146 (This is the old 3164 grind from 1988 the new grind with the same # has less lift and duration.)

RPM power range 3200-7200 (redline 7800+)

Grind Lobe Center: 290R/112 degrees
Advertised Duration: intake-290, exhaust-294
Duration at .050": intake-251, exhaust-256
Gross Lift: intake-.550", exhaust-.555"

Holley 800DP

Victor 340 intake.

Heads: professionally ported and flowed original X heads.

Harland Sharp rockers

Hooker Super Comps into 3" mandrel bent exhaust

Extensively reworked/polished stock rods.

Balanced…. And so on…

Basically a precision, high compression (about 12 to 1) and high RPM build. Regularly saw 8000rpm at the track.

And so on, but that is the basic engine stuff.

And then…… We get into all the other crap that you need…. custom built clutch, sub frame connectors, scatter shield, battery relocation, dana 60, electric water pump, electric fans, drag shocks, alignment for track use, SS springs…..

Your basic pain in the *** "street car".

Oh…. And then came the great day the car hit the 11s… It was kicked off the track and told not to come back without a cage…..

i am at md i told averyone when i join fabo i do not know anything about engine. i do not know how, what,to ask.so i have to buy the book learn myself.
hey 1968formula340. i work hard for my money.i worked 12hours 7days a week.last 5 years,so don't tell me a more money than brains.

Having more money than brains has nothing to do with how hard or how long someone works.

It has to do with real world expectations and how you do or don't get there.

Saying …… Here take my money and build me an engine that will make my car run 11s is a poor game plan.

If you really want a street car that runs 11s, look into a large (less stressed) stroker engine and budget for other drive train and suspension mods.

My car has seen 2000 miles in 30 years for a reason…. Reason being it was an 11 second street car. That's why I am changing it back….. I want to enjoy it.

now, with a big block, blower, nitrous, turbo that can allllll change :) so its not just about having an 11 second car, its how you get it there.

as already stated tho, you have a convertible and still need to consider the drivetrain to handle the power levels regardless.

If you ned a shop name I have a friend who runs a dyno down that way.. Not sure of the business name but I can find out. As far as the budget... $7500 is not enought o outfit a car. It is enough to build a solid engine from a core that you have. But if you still ned the trans and rear (9 1/4 IMO is not the best setup. Works... yes, but as expensive as any 8 3/4 to set up with none of the interchangeability), exhaust, convertor, fuel, and cooling system to make it all work. Is that $7500 for the engine or the whole car? How fast do you want the car to go? What will you be doing in it 80% of the time(racing, showing, cruising, etc)?

-
Back