340 exhaust manifolds???

-

dart gt

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what these manifolds fit.Part numbers are 2863553 and 2863543.A guy wants 200.00 dollars for set and says they are 340 manifolds for an A body.Dont want to buy them if they don't fit.Thanks

Can anyone tell me what these manifolds fit.Part numbers are 2863553 and 2863543.A guy wants 200.00 dollars for set and says they are 340 manifolds for an A body.Dont want to buy them if they don't fit.Thanks

2863553 = '68-71 340 A body

2863543= Don't have that one...do have 2863549 ..could it be that? If so, that ones '68-71 340 A body as well, so they are gennie's.

You don't need a kit. With one exception, everything needed can be purchased at an industrial/farm or other good hardware store. The one exception are the heavy Bellville type washers. These go on the 4 studs and are the best type of washer for the purpose.

You will see some of the mail order places hawking long nuts. I haven't used them,or really figured out why the were needed. Some one with more knowledge about originals and restoration should be able to chime in on what those were for.

If there are any issues they will be that the mating surfaces are not perfectly flat, heat valve stuck (if its still there), cracked or broken castings. The gasket to the headpipe is a bit of an oddball with about 2 5/16" ID. Accurate Exhaust has them in stock. Buy a few extras. If the mating surfaces to the heads are good, or gan be trued by hand lapping, no gasket is used. OEM used metal heat shield/gasket on the driver side to help protect the spark plug wires.

Not sure why those special extended nuts were needed. I don't doubt the factory used them, but I didn't find them neccessary.

Here's a photo of the passenger side. Looks like I used 2 washers on two of the bolts as well as the super heavy dished washers on the studs.

Lemme look at photos in some '68-'70 magazines to see if they show this detail.
edit: nothing in my stash has a good photo of this from '68-9

Attachments

• MVC-303F.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 475

And you don't own them already?

Bought the manifolds and they are the right ones in perfect shape.Thanks for all your help.Best site around.

If you decide to pass on them, let me know. I am in need of manifolds for my black 66 Barracuda 318 car.

I'm not sure they'll fit...your engine bay is narrower than '67 up. I think you need the specific '66-down "Early-A" LA manifolds...especially drivers' side...

drmanifold1.jpg

-
Back