340 Needs rebuilt Rod bearing gone :(

-

mike340duster

Reaction score
well i aquired a 72 340 duster that has been sitting for 23 years i got it running but it was knocking badly, tore it down and found one of the rod bearings completly gone wanted some advice on rebuild options im sure the crank is not turnable, i want to rebuild the motor and have some power im working on a 2-3 grand budget, Motor is stock, J heads, Thermoquad im not really hard pressed on keeping it original.

Crank Kit or Stroker kit ? any help would be Much appreciated

Also im a New Member (Hi)

Mike

what about a de-stroke kit?

2.95" stoke Kellogg crank
4.04" bore
303cid
.600"+ lift mushroom cam
10.5:1cr pistons
stock T/A heads
460+hp @ well over 7000rpm all day long.

think about it.. wait.. only a 2-3g budget?
get the crank fixed and freshen up the engine/heads
get a comp XE284 cam/LD340 intake/holley 700dp/headers
those will wake it up for now... and welcome.

Another question Where to get Rods,pistons,gasket kit etc. im going order the parts myself once i find out how far they need to bore.

thanks again

Summit Racing or Hughes Engines.

What's your intended use for this vehicle? Please don't say 500hp and 25 mpg and daily driven, lol.

weekend cruiser with buddies and maybe a drag run once or twice

looking for around 350hp and maybe a 13 sec quarter

already have 3.91 gears and 727 trans

Just pickup another cast 340 crank and have it rebuilt properly and internally balanced. Cast cranks are throw-outs for a lot of guys so dont pay a lot for it. Dont go wild on anything, just good solid performance machining. Run a hyper piston and a Comp XE268 and stock everything else. You may need another thousand depending on the shop labor.

After doing some research and info from everyone i think this is what im going to do be free to give me some advice or input its greatly appreciated.

340 .030 over
comp XE284 cam
10.5 pistons
stock crank
stock rods
800 holley dp
m1 single plane intake
mild port job on "J" heads with 2.02 valves
*already have headers*

any suggestions on valve springs,pushrods

thanks
mike

took the motor out and tore it down tonight, off to the machine shop tommarow. fun fun

023.jpg

019.jpg

Just my opnion here, so take it for the true worth...lol
You will have a hard time getting 10.5:1 in that. The cam is a little large IMO, and the cabr and intake are wrong too. If that's what you want the car for. It's going to feel like a turd around town with that.

yea im dumb im going this route i dunno what i was thinkin the other day

comp xe268
dual plane intake
750 carb
9.5 cr pistons

-
Back