340 Vs 360

-
Like said Id take a 360 LA minus those dished pistons and I think it would run good...put a hi compression piston in it.
They will run well, get the compression up around 10-1 and a similar built 340 will have a hard time out running it.

BTW, I'll take the 440 over a 383 any day of the week. Been there, done that.

if you give the 360 all the 340 attributes...better heads, higher compression etc. then you
have to give the 340 a 3.58 stroke, lighter pistons etc.
You 360 guys all want to use the good 340 parts but keep the larger displacement advantage.
if you match each with parts that are useable and shared the 340 will have smaller bearings and
a bigger bore.

Eh, its really more a discussion of the differences, I wish the 318 guys were more open to a similar discussion I have always felt that the LA 318/360 of the 70s were low compression smogger engines, but you got the big port heads with the 360. With a 318 you need the High comp pistons and the 360 heads, with the 360 you just need the pistons...plus you have the 4 inch bore...it makes sense to go with the 360 iMO. Unless you have something to prove with the 318 but i would attest everything that can be proven has been proven. 318s are cheap and to get into dumping money into them making them run in a performance fashion is beside the true point of them.

Myself I would build a 360. More plentiful and those extra 20 cubes is at least 20 extra horsepower. Also the 340 is rare, I'd rather do one for a restore

Never said you can increase CID through rpm,

REALLY? Are you sure?
But for those willing to spin it can add displacement through RPM.

AND SO WE CONTINUE ON WHILE TAKING NOTE THAT SOME PEOPLE NOT ONLY CAN NOT REMEMBER WHAT THEY POST BUT LOVE TO ARGUE AGAINST IT EVEN WHEN BEING DEAD WEONG ON THE MATTER.

THIS REMINDS ME OF MOST WOMEN.

Is 273 really a female?

Perhaps you should STFU.

Some feller has a 318 for free in Ohio in the classifieds. I like that some are still giving them away even today its a 79 LA engine. It further reinforces what I have posted about them. i guess he started out asking 150 but there was no love now hes offering it up free. I do like how some folks will argue how great they(318) are and others are saying "pick it up at the curb..." :)

REALLY? Are you sure?

AND SO WE CONTINUE ON WHILE TAKING NOTE THAT SOME PEOPLE NOT ONLY CAN NOT REMEMBER WHAT THEY POST BUT LOVE TO ARGUE AGAINST IT EVEN WHEN BEING DEAD WEONG ON THE MATTER.

Is 273 really a female?

Perhaps you should STFU.
You spelled weong. The correct spelling of the word is wrong.

The 318 is a fantastic people move that can get good mileage.
To build a performance 318 beyond bolt on karts and a cam is not a route I’d take. Building a race engine 318 is something you have to want to do.

If there is a class where your cubic inch limited and/or there is an advantage to running a smaller displacement engine, there use can become viable. Remember the Trans Am Weiss where there was a CID limit of 5.0ltr.? A destroked 340 was the answer and the best way to go about it.

A member here, Austin Griggs holds a yearly event where you can compete with a 318 specifically.

You spelled weong. The correct spelling of the word is wrong.
LMAO! You’re such a dick! LMAO!

Seriously Dan, thanks for the laugh!
I’m leaving it spelled woeng….. Ha ha ha ha ha

Oh! Hey Dan! How goes the car search? We’re you not looking at one a few days ago?

REALLY? Are you sure?
Show me the quote, edit* just notice you did lol

In that quote I said displacement not cid, yes displacement can be used for cid but obviously that's not what I was talking about, I was talking cubic feet (displacement) per minute CFM.
What I call dynamic displacement (running engine).
AND SO WE CONTINUE ON WHILE TAKING NOTE THAT SOME PEOPLE NOT ONLY CAN NOT REMEMBER WHAT THEY POST BUT LOVE TO ARGUE AGAINST IT EVEN WHEN BEING
This thread is 10 years old the argument i've made now is practically the same 10 years ago, i've been pretty consistent.
DEAD WEONG ON THE MATTER.
That's your opinion, but for me to be dead wrong you'd have believe in the opposite of everything I've said which would be ridiculous

Is 273 really a female?

Perhaps you should STFU.
Your the one who continually asks me explain myself all the time, I rarely start conversations with you anymore cause they go nowhere, I just made a statement just like everyone else has take or leave I don't care if you agree some do some don't it's all good. So you don't want me answer your questions from now on?

Last edited:
The 318 is a fantastic people move that can get good mileage.
To build a performance 318 beyond bolt on karts and a cam is not a route I’d take. Building a race engine 318 is something you have to want to do.

If there is a class where your cubic inch limited and/or there is an advantage to running a smaller displacement engine, there use can become viable. Remember the Trans Am Weiss where there was a CID limit of 5.0ltr.? A destroked 340 was the answer and the best way to go about it.

A member here, Austin Griggs holds a yearly event where you can compete with a 318 specifically.
I can see racing one (318) just because they are cheap or free and if they grenade eh get another one, but only in a stock readily available parts sense and I would think ya wouldnt be very competitive. But yes in a ci limit race say dirt track or even drag race why not? Rev it till it blows LOL! Sounds fun...

if you give the 360 all the 340 attributes...better heads, higher compression etc. then you
have to give the 340 a 3.58 stroke, lighter pistons etc.

You 360 guys all want to use the good 340 parts but keep the larger displacement advantage.
if you match each with parts that are useable and shared the 340 will have smaller bearings and
a bigger bore.
Using your reasoning the 360 would get the 340's larger bore, then they'd be the same engine.
Yes, that's what 360 fans have been saying for years, the 20 ci is an advantage.

Yep, bigger bore and smaller main journals. On a typical street build or even a street/strip build how much HP is that worth? Consider the ring drag too.

Why my name is "273" cause I originally wanted to build a Time Attack 65 Cuda which I felt the in the rules you'd better starting off with the lowest hp rated V8 cause they penalized rated hp more than engine mods.

A 360 could not normally be bored as much as a 340 can ...it would run out of cylinder wall.

I think in terms of availability (340 isn't as available as a 360) the 360 is the obvious choice,LA or 5.9 magnum. Its just a great platform to start with.

I can see racing one (318) just because they are cheap or free and if they grenade eh get another one, but only in a stock readily available parts sense
Was thinking of using my M1 single plane and crate cam in 5.2l magnum with nitrous and or turbo on stock long block for your exact reasons.

If you build them to an equal standard the 340 will always outperform the 360.
years ago I did this test. I pulled the heads, intake, carb, and cam from the 340 and put them all on the 360, changed the pistons so both would have almost identical compression, and no other changes to the car. The car went three tenths faster with the 360. Gears were 3.91 and the converter was a TCI break away. 340 shifted at 6k and that gave the best ET. 360 liked 5700.

360's and 340's were scrap motors when I started out. lol
That's when I was young and dumb. I'd pick the 360 now if I am building a small block.
There just isn't enough bore difference for me not to take the stroke of a 360.
I'll take a 383 over a 340 any day.

years ago I did this test. I pulled the heads, intake, carb, and cam from the 340 and put them all on the 360, changed the pistons so both would have almost identical compression, and no other changes to the car. The car went three tenths faster with the 360. Gears were 3.91 and the converter was a TCI break away. 340 shifted at 6k and that gave the best ET. 360 liked 5700.
what camshaft were you shifting the 340 at 6k with?

Since the 318/360/340 blocks are close in bore size and all take basically the same parts and for most part able to build same hp most aren't building 600-800 + hp NA small blocks, It really comes down to personal choice.

Who would have thought the bigger CI would perform better. I'm stunned. :BangHead:

You should have put 4.10's with the 340 to make it fair, and maybe a shorter tire and some juice.
/sarcasm

-
Back