-
True. But is he making any money out of it to make a living? I truly hope so... because initially he had a lot of crosswinds.
Again, as Mr. Ritter. It’s none of my biz if he is making money or if it is his lively hood.These things, I don’t know, I don’t care, I’m just happy someone picked up the torch that MP threw to the ground.

Don't forget there is a ton of machining needed to make a block. Some of the tooling is pretty specialized too.
And 3D printing won't help at all. You can't 3D print an engine block. Even if you could, it would still need the above-mentioned machining.

No doubt. This guy needs to do some investigative work.

For sure,i start to think that i sound like a broken record in some of these threads over time but this whole concept of saying that its so easy and "someone should start making these" is getting alitle old considering all the complaints that always comes up when things are actualy available.

just buy a 100.00 318 - your down 22 cubes. There are bigger deal breakers than 22 cubes. put the money saved into it and run as good or better

or buy a 200.00 360 - and be 20 cubes up and $$$$ in the pocket
:D

I like the 318 when you can really punch it out. It starts feeling good after after 325 inches.

I like the 318 when you can really punch it out. It starts feeling good after after 325 inches.
When you see a 289 Mustang street car punch 11's, what's wrong with a 318 ??? Or a Fox body 302 go 10's, what's wrong with a 318??

Ain't Nut'n wrong with 'em..... roll up the sleeves and get to work !!!!
:thumbsup:

And nowadays the pistonchoices are actualy better for the 318 than a 340 if you are running old open chamber iron heads.

When you see a 289 Mustang street car punch 11's, what's wrong with a 318 ??? Or a Fox body 302 go 10's, what's wrong with a 318??

Ain't Nut'n wrong with 'em..... roll up the sleeves and get to work !!!!
:thumbsup:
I like bigger bores hence the comment of .060 or better of possible.
And nowadays the pistonchoices are actualy better for the 318 than a 340 if you are running old open chamber iron heads.
Helps ya.

So why are you not starting up production of new blocks? I dont want to hear any excuses,just do it.
First thing I would cut up a 318 block, reverse engineer the sand molds, why would you start from scratch? Foundry? Why not use the ones that's working now for the other guys? Finding a competent machinist would be the biggy. Many overthink too much.

First thing I would cut up a 318 block, reverse engineer the sand molds, why would you start from scratch? Foundry? Why not use the ones that's working now for the other guys? Finding a competent machinist would be the biggy. Many overthink too much.
Ok so why dont you do it then?

Well as far as that goes, you can make a 349 with a teener and a 3.58 crank that will run a 268* cam no problem. Seems to me that would be a whole bunch cheaper.
Or how about a 360+.040 @3.315......if you just had to have a 340.
I just don't get the attraction for to have a 340. Although I used to hit that wall at car shows all the time. They see the 360 under my hood, and the next thing outta their mouth is "you shouldda built a 340...."
I got tired of it, and just started calling my 367 a stroked 340.
Cuz that is sorta what it is; (4.00+.040)x3.58. With lightweight Hypers @502ish grams versus the stockers @719, it's the fastest reving SBM I've ever had. And you know what? I have never found those extra 27 cubes to be a hindrance.
And 367HOs are so cheap to build; with closed chamber heads,they practically fall together with compression in the deep tens/high 11s, lotsa Quench, and ready for a big cam.While so many others with a typical street cams, are complaining about their soft bottom-ends,the 367 has no such issue.
IDK.
I left the 340s in the shed and never missed them.

Making 340s with mountains of money might be doable.
Selling them for a profit may not be.
Especially when 360s can be had for easy money.
Or teeners for that matter.
If Chrysler quit doing it, you can bet the profitability went right out of it. I mean they already had all the tooling set up for it. How much more would it have cost to turn out Magnums with 4.04 bores?
Maybe they just let the 340 die on purpose,while it was still king of SBMs.

Ceedawg, what do you do for a living?Do you have any experience in such matters of a foundry, casting, manufacturering resource material gathering, logistics?

First thing I would cut up a 318 block, reverse engineer the sand molds,
This is the basic no brained to the matter but does have the massive short comings in several different venues. Though I’m sure you have noted such deficiencies already.

I would love to hear about the mold making process myself.
why would you start from scratch?
Who said anybody started from scratch? Though that would be an excellent idea minus the basic perameters of what it is your replacing and for its use.
YES! If it is so simple, why didn’t you name a foundry?
Why not use the ones that's working now for the other guys?
Now there’s a statement on showing the world here at large that you have absolutely no idea on this matter.
Do tell us all why not as well as what are the “Other Guys Using!”
Finding a competent machinist would be the biggy.
That should be the easiest part. Not to dumb down any machinist here but the extent of the machine work needed to finish a blue print on a square block is a basic and simple chore. I have seen what area machinists have to perform for the final exams and regular tests. A good fella down the block had to make a flash light out of a small billet. He was given the billet and the electrical parts to construct the flash light.
Many overthink too much.
I think you under think this.

Bring on the money.[/]
Whoa! Wait a minute here. You said this was an easy thing. You make’em, I’ll buy them.
Get to work, we are all waiting.
Why would you need money up front?

They put a man on the moon with slide rules, some of you guys don't have the guts to try anything that's "too hard" because "someone" told you that.
Right back in your face brother!
Let’s see what you hit. Bust out the work!

Where would we be today if all the thinkers-inventers listened to that way of thinking? "Mommy its to hard" maybe the big thinkers are on the other side.
Truly for what I think would be the issue for most of us here is simply the cash outlay that you don’t seem to have an issue with.
Must be great to have money pouring out there *** like Niagara Falls!

Due keep us informed on your progress.

As to what model block are you starting with to copy? Have you evaluated the percentage of iron to nickel content and where you will resource the metals from? I personally don’t know where the mines are located to look for iron or nickel much less a foundry to mix pour and create ingets for repurposing for casting would be.

However, how much material would you need to purchase and at what rate that it would be a profitable solution regarding the offset of labor to energy costs vs sale rate of rough product at the level sufficient for consumption much less the steeped side of finished units ready to run or for run vs rough and finished. You know the same level that was offered by MP.

Speaking of which, they had many offering of what appeared to be the same thing but not considering the divorced and married internals of the cylinders.

Did you have an idea of the sleeve material and thickness by chance. I figure that would be an upfront issue reguarding immediate sell.

Yea, you're right, everything is too overwhelming. What was I thinking, I should have listened to my detractors all my life.
No not at all! YOU say it is easy.

I’m just wondering how easy it is through your eyes to fund, resource, obtain, transport, set up said materials ingets for remanufacturing at a foundry, then machine to spec for manufacturing a finished product for consumption for at least the end user to machine to there spec!?!?!

What is really funny is your statement of “Where’s your money!” Hell! Come one pal, make a block! I’ll pay. I’m saving up for a Ritter block myself. If you can come in cheaper, I’ll purchase!

What’s the deal?

Don’t let me be the soul voice of detracting your dreams!!!!!
Let’s freakin go!!!!

Are you going to copy a stock block and if so, what thickness cylinder sleeve did you have in mind?

Press the reply button, wait, the quoted message appears with quote tags that look like this;
Enter your reply above or below but not within the quote tags. This will be the best way to have your reply seen.

:(And it helps to use a different color; I use blue, cuz it shows up real nice when I make it bold.
And you can use a larger type for emphasis, or red to make a point, and I save purple/lavender when I think I might be imparting important information. When I run out of colors. I go to green or in odd cases brown. The rest of the colors on that pallet kindof suck, suck, or suck, . You'll have to experiment a bit, to see the results, which you can preview after clicking on "more options". While you are there you can select one or more smilies or emoticons, that can help tell us how you really feel. Like these;
:drama::elmer::icon_fU: :mob: :realcrazy::rofl:

sorry, there's no; love, peace, joy, or I found Jesus :(
Hint, He's not in outer space screaming along at millions of miles an hour spinning in an endless spiral, trying to catch up to dying planet called Earth that appears to be infested with aliens and demons and evil spirits; :BangHead: that is total ...............................

:bs_flag:.

Last edited:
Have you ever made or built anything from scratch? From just an idea in your head? Sounds like you haven't been down that street. Since you have to "save up" for a Ritter block, you're useless to me. I can get the bitching from my wife.
Answering your questions in order.
Yes
Yes
Your insinuation of myself not being down that road.
Incorrect!
Useless to you? I think I just went down a road with questions you can not answer because you can not fathom there depth in your shallow narrow mind. I have shown you that I am of great use to you. I showed that you have absolutely no idea on what needs to be done or how it is done. If anything, your just a butt munching weirdo asking others for money to fund a new small block project that you have no intentions of doing at all. You said it yourself, “Where’s the money!”

You betcha I have to save up for a Ritter block. I’m not wealthy I have other responsibilities to take of first before I purchase items for my toy(s) to play with.

You on the other hand almost hint that it isn’t an issue.

So go get yourself a Ritter block.

Now since you put it in that fashion, why the hell are you bitchen about how Americans today are not of the same stuff as the people who used “Slide Rulers?” Your the exact problem with the country today. You ***** for someone to “Bring on the money” as if you need it first to build YOUR block.

You cry, complain, then cast out a line for money for nothing with no plan or explanation of how to go about the matter at hand and then cry a river when I question you on it while you give no answer showing that you actually know something or have a real intention on doing anything except dup someone out of there money.

(As if anyone here is that stupid!)

You truly are a hat for an ***!

I also wish to apologize to everyone here having to read that your wife rides you like a $2 ***** all the way to China. I also don’t hold it against you that your a fella that likes to be verbally abused by the wife. Hey! What ever you like.

Thank the Lord I have no clue of that kind of life because from my view, you have a hell hole to reside in.

Good luck in finding your manhood and getting out of your abusing wife. I know running out to a new life is hard.

Good luck!

LMAO! You are awesome!
And it helps to use a different color; I use blue, cuz it shows up nice when I make it bold.
And you can use a larger type for emphasis, or red to make a point, and I save purple/lavender when I think I might be imparting important information. When I run out of colors. I go to green or in odd cases brown. The rest of the colors on that pallet kindof suck. You'll have to experiment a bit, to see the results, which you can preview after clicking on "more options". While you are there you can select one or more smilies or emoticons that can help tell us how you really feel. Like these;
:drama::elmer::icon_fU: :mob: :realcrazy::rofl: sorry, there's no; love, peace, joy, or I found Jesus

C

That should be the easiest part. Not to dumb down any machinist here but the extent of the machine work needed to finish a blue print on a square block is a basic and simple chore. I have seen what area machinists have to perform for the final exams and regular tests. A good fella down the block had to make a flash light out of a small billet. He was given the billet and the electrical parts to construct the flash light.
Obviously there are some people here who know nothing about how a raw casting gets made into an actual usable engine block. You have six major surfaces that need to be machined flat and square (or at 45°). This means you cannot machine the whole block in one setup. Without sophisticated fixtures to precisely locate and hold the block from moving, and a multi-axis CNC mill (at least 4-axis), you will go nowhere. So now we have investments in fixturing, tooling, and CNC programs. Also, don't forget you normally have to make the main caps, and the have to be fitted to the block before you can even line-bore the crankshaft bearings. You'll need dozens of special tools, including gun-drills for many the oil passages. Maybe modern deep hole drills with thru-the-tool coolant would work in place of the gun drills. But whatever, it's going to be expensive and special tooling.

Agreed! And this guy above acts like anybody can do this easy. Just wait until he sees tooling costs nevermind paying the talent!

Mr. Ritter went through a lot to get what he got done.
Obviously there are some people here who know nothing about how a raw casting gets made into an actual usable engine block. You have six major surfaces that need to be machined flat and square (or at 45°). This means you cannot machine the whole block in one setup. Without sophisticated fixtures to precisely locate and hold the block from moving, and a multi-axis CNC mill (at least 4-axis), you will go nowhere. So now we have investments in fixturing, tooling, and CNC programs. Also, don't forget you normally have to make the main caps, and the have to be fitted to the block before you can even line-bore the crankshaft bearings. You'll need dozens of special tools, including gun-drills for many the oil passages. Maybe modern deep hole drills with thru-the-tool coolant would work in place of the gun drills. But whatever, it's going to be expensive and special tooling.

Agreed! And this guy above acts like anybody can do this easy. Just wait until he sees tooling costs nevermind paying the talent!

Must be tough going thru life not knowing how to do anything and having no self confidence. I know what I know, you stick with what you don't. When you start berating someone it proves your many short comings. Both of you will always be on the sidelines, never in the game. Sad

Must be tough going thru life not knowing how to do anything and having no self confidence. I know what I know, you stick with what you don't. When you start berating someone it proves your many short comings. Both of you will always be on the sidelines, never in the game. Sad

That entire double post was words for yourself. Practice them and say them to yourself in the mirror. It will be the only honest and true words out of your pie hole that and most forth coming days.

You started...... I called you out on it.

The berating you earned yourself.

Once you bring something to market on your own, then come talk to me. Your years behind the game.
You have no freaking idea how to do this.
It obvious to everyone except you.

-
Back