-
When you see a 289 Mustang street car punch 11's, what's wrong with a 318 ??? Or a Fox body 302 go 10's, what's wrong with a 318??

Ain't Nut'n wrong with 'em..... roll up the sleeves and get to work !!!!
:thumbsup:
I have always been fascinated by small blocks. When I was 16 i was addicted to old muscle cars and fell into the bigblock hype mostly because that is what I always saw in hotrod and car craft and mopar muscle magazines. I went to the local drag strip for the first time with a friend. It was gear jammer weekend. Of course I was all about the mopars but there was a 66 mustang that lined up and took off and he stood on the back bumper for over half the track I dont remember his et but I was blew away when he parked in the pits I went over and was talking to him he was running a 289 4speed. It blew my mind that such a small engine could be so violent. Then there was another guy with a 340 duster wheel standing it was just the coolest thing ever and ever since then I have been all about the small blocks.

I have always been fascinated by small blocks. When I was 16 i was addicted to old muscle cars and fell into the bigblock hype mostly because that is what I always saw in hotrod and car craft and mopar muscle magazines. I went to the local drag strip for the first time with a friend. It was gear jammer weekend. Of course I was all about the mopars but there was a 66 mustang that lined up and took off and he stood on the back bumper for over half the track I dont remember his et but I was blew away when he parked in the pits I went over and was talking to him he was running a 289 4speed. It blew my mind that such a small engine could be so violent. Then there was another guy with a 340 duster wheel standing it was just the coolest thing ever and ever since then I have been all about the small blocks.
I've owned some 289's, they are peppy bone stock 2bbl form, for what they are.....

What to you mean tank? Like they couldn't handle the overbore?
Yes. Sorry for the slang.
A 340 I have was already over bored @ .020. A sonic check revealed that was it. I was warned by my machinist that this would be best left alone.

A 340 I have was already over bored @ .020. A sonic check revealed that was it. I was warned by my machinist that this would be best left alone.
Cause I'm buying a standard bore 340 and I've heard some guys go .30 .20 and even .60 but I was hoping to bore it .30

Do you happen to recall what the thinnest wall number was at that point?

Cause I'm buying a standard bore 340 and I've heard some guys go .30 .20 and even .60 but I was hoping to bore it .30
Hopefully you are actually not meaning .300" overbore LOL. BTW, several of the common performance pistons for the 340 (KB, ICON) are available in .020" oversize with a few weeks of lead time.

Because everyone wants a thousand DIFFERENT blocks! No manufacture will attempt that. Let's settle on one size and work around that.

Wasn't Mopar selling new improved 340 blocks a couple years ago for 7,000 dollars. Swear I saw them in the Mopar section of a Summit catalog.

Making more with less is always cool,most v8s can make a whole bunch of power built right then add enough gearratio and stuff starts happening :)

I hear you,its easy to get carried away by all those cool stories,but we own what we own and thats what we get to work with.

Sorry about that guys. A member has been removed from this thread. I have deleted a few posts to clean things up a bit but there are some quotes still there. Carry on with your conversation.

I see 340’s quite often but not for the 50.00 I usually pay for a 360 short block. I have one here but it’s cracked down low and would be ok for Racing after a short fill

I see 340’s quite often but not for the 50.00 I usually pay for a 360 short block. I have one here but it’s cracked down low and would be ok for Racing after a short fill
^^^ X2
There's nothing magical about the 340, except the asking price. Apples to apples built the 360 is a better performer anyway.

Because there's no money to be made doing it. We're all cheap asses.
Unless you are doing a numbers matching car there's no need for the 340 block. A 360, punched to .040in and a 318 crank will get you there. But why do that when you can do 368 ci or more with the .040 bore and a stroker crank. Just thinking.

Unless you are doing a numbers matching car there's no need for the 340 block. A 360, punched to .040in and a 318 crank will get you there. But why do that when you can do 368 ci or more with the .040 bore and a stroker crank. Just thinking.
FWIW, a 273, 318 or a 340 crank will not drop in and work in a 360.

FWIW, a 273, 318 or a 340 crank will not drop in and work in a 360.
Nope, they won't. But if I remember correctly years ago they did make bearing to correct that problem. Or you could jump up to 408 ci with the 360. Might cost less than a 340 block. And availability is on your side.

I remember that! Bearing? No. There was a steel cap insert that was machined to size with the caps. Short lived expensive item that had few buyers.

If you gotta have a 340, SCAT can grind you a 360 main crank with a 340 stroke. Then bore your block to 4.04.

-
Back