$35 Electric Power Steering with Fail-Safe - No eBay module and no caster issues!!!

-
There was a thread the other day someone was talking about slanty vans. This was one of my service trucks for about a year. We bought it as a 'was church bus' and I built everything, shelves, sub-floor storage, big drawers into the sub floor from the sides and rear for stoage, and bulkhead and the ladder rack--all scratch built. The vise mount works like a hitch receiver, mounting either a standard bench vise or a Rigid pipe vise

Does that ladder look light? It ain't. It is not the kind you bought at Sears/ HD/ Lowes. It is a heavy duty commercial grade ladder I forget how tall.

img049cs.jpg

img028cs.jpg

... I'm 73 and have multiple issues, not the least of which is "got old." My shoulders are permanently damaged, and I doubt any amount of money will repair them. I can still lift loads "down low" but certain movements kill my ***

In my lifetime I've done some VERY active work....

:thumbsup: no ****. i'm 15 years behind you, and the things i did when i was younger are catching up with me. PS's going in the car now while i can still get my *** under the dash without one of those medic alert thingies

download.jpg

i don't understand why people get so wound up about somebody else's car :realcrazy:

I have converted my '73 Dart over to a PriusEPAS system, however it seems it's not giving any assist even in Fail-safe mode. MY question is, It's wired like you said, but does the torque sensor plug need to be plugged in or not to work?

Yes it needs to be plugged in. There should be 4 wires, I believe. I have done the swap. Should be + and - to battery. The 12+ accessory wire and the wire from the epas motor to the module.

Now just so you know the box has to sense "torque" for it assist. I first hooked it up on a bench and nothing happened, until I locked the output shaft into a vise and then turned the input.

I think I would like to try this on my 68 Cuda with manual steering, I don't know if my brain can figure it out but I want to try. Dave

I have a 2014 Kia Soul EPS for a conversion an will like to know where and hoe do I connect the output wiring as in the photo.
Thanks

I have a 2014 Kia Soul EPS for a conversion an will like to know where and hoe do I connect the output wiring as in the photo.
Thanks

KIA EPS CONECTION.jpg

I see this is an older thread but I am in desperate need of help and no one local knows anything about eps in projects. I have a 68 F100 that I installed 09 Prius set up and wired accordingly. The truck has not been started yet as it has been receiving several mods. My problem is with the truck on stands, I can turn the wheels back and forth by hand and the eps box turns but once inside, the steering wheel will not move past a half inch. It is like one side freely moves and the other is stuck solid. I can't start the truck yet but with the key on I hear the eps box sound up but still does nothing inside. Any and all help greatly appreciated! I have a video of it but not sure how to attach here. I could email if interested. Thanks

And that is the issue with with doing a mod that is based on hacks applied to salvage yard parts. Tech support is limited.
A couple of ideas
1) try sending a pm to the guy that started this post back in 2016
2) look around on line for a wiring diagram for a 2009 Prius and verify that the wiring is correct.
3) if the wiring is correct, look on line for a shop Prius service manual that has trouble shooting for their electric power steering units.
4) is it possible that the power steering unit that you got was damaged and is defective, see if the yard that you purchased from will swap it for a different unit.

I see this is an older thread but I am in desperate need of help and no one local knows anything about eps in projects. I have a 68 F100 that I installed 09 Prius set up and wired accordingly. The truck has not been started yet as it has been receiving several mods. My problem is with the truck on stands, I can turn the wheels back and forth by hand and the eps box turns but once inside, the steering wheel will not move past a half inch. It is like one side freely moves and the other is stuck solid. I can't start the truck yet but with the key on I hear the eps box sound up but still does nothing inside. Any and all help greatly appreciated! I have a video of it but not sure how to attach here. I could email if interested. Thanks
Sounds like shaft may be binding.

Is your steering wheel clocked wrong?

Is this with the truck still on stands ?

Something is binding for sure. There are only a few wires (+ and -) and the 12v keyed wire. If the box is clicking, that is the relay firing up.

The first motor I got was infact bad. I tested it on the bench and it didn't freely move lock to lock. It had a hard spot in it. So went ahead and got another and it was good.

The fact that yours works with the wheels up, but notnwhen the wheels are down is interesting. What size tires? Not sure I've seen this mod done on a truck.

What sensors do you have for the steering? Do you have all the wiring, ecm and modules from the Prius?

What sensors do you have for the steering? Do you have all the wiring, ecm and modules from the Prius?
You don't need any modules from the prius except for the one attached to the EPS itself. All it needs is an ignition trigger, power, and ground. Without the canbus signal it operates in "failsafe" mode which operates the EPS at about the power it normally operates at 25mph. You can buy a module that gives you adjustable power with a potentiometer or you could roll your own if you have the inclination.

First thing I'd do is disconnect the column/ Prius unit AND the center line from the pitman arm (or the arm from the box) and make certain the box is centered and turns free, then start re-connecting, first the center link and check, and then the prius unit. Does the Prius unit have stops? Make sure. It is always possible you have a trouble somewhere, even in "new" parts

Search engine is the way to go here. Search stuff like "prius electric steering hack," "prius hot rod steering" etc etc.

According to this water'd down article, it's as easy as hooking the unit to 12V

I did not watch this whole video, is this the same type unit?

I was just reading Flaming Rivers install instructions due to a different thread and they mention that the orientation is critical. Didn't make a lot of sense to me until I figured out that there is an input shaft and an output shaft.

Any chance you have the input and output shafts reversed and the reason it is resistant to movement via the steering wheel is because you are trying to turn the output shaft on the EPAS motor?

Sounds like shaft may be binding.

I was just reading Flaming Rivers install instructions due to a different thread and they mention that the orientation is critical. Didn't make a lot of sense to me until I figured out that there is an input shaft and an output shaft.

Any chance you have the input and output shafts reversed and the reason it is resistant to movement via the steering wheel is because you are trying to turn the output shaft on the EPAS motor?
I thought that too but it is mounted like the other videos

I found this pretty nice writeup, listing alternative steering boxes with "fail safe" mode, not requiring an external controller

-
Back