360 crate motor????????not sure

-

fivefivem

Reaction score
bought a 1970 duster about a year ago from salvage auction. has a 360 engine; appears to be a crate engine???? do not know the previous owner or how to contact him. my local dealer says he knows of no way to identify the engine; what horsepower; etc. has cast iron heads with edlebrock rpm air-gap intake with quick fuel carb. anyone know of any way to figure out what i have? runs very strong; has tremec 5-speed; 8-3/4 rear. thanks for any help

Once run they pretty much look like any 360. Take a cylinder pressure reading, and then pull a valve cover and rockers and measure the cam. Then you might have an idea of what you have.

once run they pretty much look like any 360. Take a cylinder pressure reading, and then pull a valve cover and rockers and measure the cam. Then you might have an idea of what you have.
i was afraid this would be the only response i got. Thanks

Once run they pretty much look like any 360. Take a cylinder pressure reading, and then pull a valve cover and rockers and measure the cam. Then you might have an idea of what you have.

X2 at least you have an idea of what you have.
Is it a magnum or la?

The Mopar LA crate engines had an M-1 dual plane intake (300hp) and M-1 single plane (360hp). Heads were 308 (maybe 576) but casting #'s were on the underside of one of the pairs of intake ports. Pistons were flattops with valve reliefs. But as old as the original crates are, this one could be anything. If it's running well, I wouldn't be in a hurry to disassemble it.

I had the same question when I got my 72 Dart with a 360 earlier this year. The guy I bought it from said it was a crate motor and had a receipt from the previous owner but it was a hand written receipt from "joes garage". I did some research but struck out. With the peg leg still installed its almost impossible to go around a corner and give it gas without making the tires chirp.

The early la 360 had a steel tag bolted to the back of the head. It was triangler in shape and obvious easy to remove. The later magnum I had, just had a yellow sticker on the bell housing area with a barcode and part number I believe, again easily removed.

Might came with a sticker on the passenger side...with part number on it...but you can easily pull the sticker off..

Attachments

• Picture 1007.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 373
Magnum the intake bolts go in straight in the heads, LA bolts are at an angle.

Wouldn't a crate be a new block with a casting date and no VIN on the pad?

Shouldn't some of the backets/accesories give a clue?

Wouldn't a crate be a new block with a casting date and no VIN on the pad?

Shouldn't some of the backets/accesories give a clue?

I forgot how they worded it, but I got the impression that at least the LA crates used "seasoned" blocks. They didn't come with any brackets & accessories. After this long, anything could have been changed anyway.

Why would you think it is a crate engine?

Why would you think it is a crate engine?
OK; it is a 360 mag block; it does have intake bolts going straight down-not at angle. i am just going by way long block assy has been painted-looks like crate motor to me. hard to understand why chrysler corp would not put somekind of identifying numbers on them. what if you had a warranty issue with one? reciept would not identify it? car came out of arizona. anyone from arizona reading this?

bought a 1970 duster about a year ago from salvage auction. has a 360 engine; appears to be a crate engine???? do not know the previous owner or how to contact him. my local dealer says he knows of no way to identify the engine; what horsepower; etc. has cast iron heads with edlebrock rpm air-gap intake with quick fuel carb. anyone know of any way to figure out what i have? runs very strong; has tremec 5-speed; 8-3/4 rear. thanks for any help
Crate smate , in the words of AARCUDA ""Tony
Dyno sheets are nice...But Time Slips are Real.."" run it , that will give you an idea of HP . By the parts it seems to have money put into it , should do well /

You can pull the spark plugs and use a small mag lite to view the piston tops. I have done this to see if the pistons are dished, flat, valve reliefs, etc.

there are numbers on the side of the block on crate motors just like production motors...

if you want something other than best guesses, you need to get the numbers

100_7747.jpg

http://www.mopar1.us/sort.html

This is a transition year with a rather unusual 360 block. It looked like a Magnum on the outside with the three flat, drilled pads along with the old style ears, but it was still the early engine on the inside with the oil holes in the cam and block. It’s a 53020006 casting

1993-’97
The 360 Magnum came out in ’93. It used the 53020006 block that came with the three flat, drilled pads and the oil style ears. It still had the oil holes in both deck surfaces, but they were not used because the rockers were oiled through the pushrods.

The best guess is that they were drilled so that the block could be used as a "fits-all" replacement; the cam without the holes blocked the flow of oil topside on the Magnums. This engine had the grooved rear cap with the dowel pin as well as the recess for the o-ring. The Magnum cams all came with the short snout, but without the oil holes in the two intermediate cam journals.

The 360 Magnum pistons have a unique rectangular dish that gives a 9.1:1 compression ratio with the new chambers. The rings are a nominal 1/16", 1/16" and 3/16" wide. The crank itself was carried over from the past, but the amount of external weight used for balance is different, so both the stick flywheel and the torque convertor are different than the earlier versions.

The non-Magnum engines required 19.79 in.oz. and the Magnums need 14.65 in.oz. in order to be properly balanced. The rear seal was the same two-piece fluorocarbon design used in other Magnum engines.

Interesting....according to this ....you can use LA heads on a magnum block up to 96 ish.....as the oil holes to the deck are there....my friend has a 96 engine he want to get rid of....

-
Back