360 engine won't idle with Edelbrock manifold & Carter AFB carb

-

cudajim

cudajim
Reaction score
My 67 Barracuda has a 360 engine in it and I'm trying to get it to run properly. The problem is that it won't idle at all. I'm running an Edelbrock performer manifold and a Carter 650 AFB carb. It will idle really well if I hold the choke on and slightly open which tells me I'm sucking air from somewhere. So I'm guessing the carb and intake are not compatible and/or I need some kind of adapter. I'm not using any vacumn ports except for vacumn advance and PCV. Nothing else is connected and I don't hear any leaks. Any help will be appreciated.

Spray around the intake and carb gaskets with some wd-40 and see if it has any affect. If it does, then you may have a leak there.

Does it have the plate between carb and manifold?

Ede 2732?

There is no plate between them and the carb is fairly new.

For what it's worth I do have an early 340 cast iron manifold 3462848 I could try if it's compatible with the 360 engine. Any thoughts?

Is your intake spread/square bore. I'm guessing so. If you don't have the plate you could very well have a nice leak between carb and intake.

From the Edelbrock site.

Edelbrock Carb Adapter Plate (EDE-2732)

Putting A Square-Flange Carb On A Dual Pattern Intake?

You gotta have this if you're installing a square flange carburetor on an aftermarket intake with dual square bore/spread bore flange. Eliminates vacuum leaks common to this combination.

You need the plate if your intake flange looks like this...

intakesbedelperf1.jpg

You can try that 340 intake if it has the square-bore-style flange.

attachment.php

You need the plate if your intake flange looks like this...

intakesbedelperf1.jpg

You can try that 340 intake if it has the square-bore-style flange.

attachment.php

Those 2 pictures are exactly the manifolds I have. So it sounds like I do need an adapter if I want to use the Edelbrock or I could possibly use the old 340 intake with no adapter.

If I do choose to change to the 340 manifold is it totally compatible with the 360 or will I have a head angle issue to deal with?

Those 2 pictures are exactly the manifolds I have. So it sounds like I do need an adapter if I want to use the Edelbrock or I could possibly use the old 340 intake with no adapter.

If I do choose to change to the 340 manifold is it totally compatible with the 360 or will I have a head angle issue to deal with?

You should be fine, assuming the heads haven't been played with, etc.

That 340 intake should bolt right on with no issues. IF it were me, I'd spend the ten bucks and install the plate, much easier in the long run.

Ok so I bought a plate and it helped a little but it didn't really tame the beast. I still have to idle over 1000 rpm to keep it running. Tomorrow I'll go buy some more carb cleaner and start spraying around the base of the carb and also at the intake manifold near the heads.

What cam do you have 1000 or a little over may not be bad. Whats it do in gear or are you 4 speed?

Ok so I bought a plate and it helped a little but it didn't really tame the beast. I still have to idle over 1000 rpm to keep it running. Tomorrow I'll go buy some more carb cleaner and start spraying around the base of the carb and also at the intake manifold near the heads.

Good. Try the carb cleaner. Also, check all your hoses for proper installation or cracks. Do you have a plug in the rear large vacuum port (front one should be PCV)?

Timing? What is the idle timing.

Plug EVERYTHING off going to the carb/manifold that pulls vacuum. Isolate the intake tract.

My 67 Barracuda has a 360 engine in it and I'm trying to get it to run properly. The problem is that it won't idle at all. I'm running an Edelbrock performer manifold and a Carter 650 AFB carb. It will idle really well if I hold the choke on and slightly open which tells me I'm sucking air from somewhere. So I'm guessing the carb and intake are not compatible and/or I need some kind of adapter. I'm not using any vacumn ports except for vacumn advance and PCV. Nothing else is connected and I don't hear any leaks. Any help will be appreciated.

Sounds lean to me.

Yes, the plug in back is in, the hose to pcv is new and the valve is good. The only other hose is the vacumn advance and it's new and working properly (I tested it with a vacumn pump).

The car is an automatic.

Good. Try the carb cleaner. Also, check all your hoses for proper installation or cracks. Do you have a plug in the rear large vacuum port (front one should be PCV)?

the carter carb does it have 1 or 2 idle adjustment screws /or is it a replacement carb.?

It's a new replacement Carter carb and there are 2 adjustment screws, I have tried most of the way in all the way to most of the way out. I have also moved timing from very advanced to retarded with very little change to idle speed.

the carter carb does it have 1 or 2 idle adjustment screws /or is it a replacement carb.?

-
Back