360 exhaust manifolds

-

68coupe

Reaction score
I'm putting a 2001 5.2Liter in a 68 B'cuda. I would like to get a bigger manifold than the 318 2-bbl originals. The Ram manifolds won't fit without modification. How would these 1979 360 manifolds do? Thanks

The 68-70 340 manifolds would probably be the best if they won't interfere with the heads. They would fit your car.

Those in the picture would work if they would fit in the car (you have to make sure that the outlets are able to run an exhaust pipe to).

Buy urself a set of Flow tech headers 200 for a pair you will get better flow and better gas milage

I'm putting a 2001 5.2Liter in a 68 B'cuda. I would like to get a bigger manifold than the 318 2-bbl originals. The Ram manifolds won't fit without modification. How would these 1979 360 manifolds do? Thanks

I have a '69 Barracuda (318 w/302 casting heads) with a large port ram manifold on the passenger's side and I'm running the 340 on the driver's side...they fit perfect. I got tired of header leaks and scraping the asphalt so I got the mag manifold and the 340. I'm a machinist, since the mag manifold exhaust hole is not quite as big as the 340 I machined the manifold out so it would flow as close to the 340 as possible. I now sell the manifolds in pairs, one machined 360 Mag manifold (pass) and one 340 manifold. Check out the pics. Of course, some people prefer headers but it depends on how much street driving you plan on doing. Expensive headers will clear the ground better but cost quite a bit.
In the pics you will see the 360 mag manifold machined out to the same size as the 340 also pics showing the difference between a stock 318 manifold (what you show in your pics) and the magnum....BIG, BIG DIFFERENCE!!! Also pics of the 340 manifolds I sell. I only sell them in pairs. It made no sense to me to have a good strong street cruiser that was being choked down by the small stock manifolds. Last pic shows how and where the mag manifold exits under the car, it shoots straight out the back and clears everything with no problem. These manifolds have been selling like hot cakes, I only have two pairs left. Good Luck with your build.

Treblig

Attachments

• DSC03345.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 720
  • DSC03389.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 650
  • DSC03411.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 722
  • DSC03413.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 685
  • DSC03415.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 677
  • DSC03437.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 650
  • DSC03438.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 677
  • DSC03441.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 651
  • DSC03288.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 674
I have Dynatech(?) headers, original manifolds and two pairs of Ram 5.2 magnum manifolds. The passenger side Ram manifolds fit in great! The drivers side interferes with the steering coupler. I've looked at aftermarket steering joints, but they are expensive! I could probably pick up those 360 manifolds for less than $50, but that doesn't help if they won't fit.

I have Dynatech(?) headers, original manifolds and two pairs of Ram 5.2 magnum manifolds. The passenger side Ram manifolds fit in great! The drivers side interferes with the steering coupler. I've looked at aftermarket steering joints, but they are expensive! I could probably pick up those 360 manifolds for less than $50, but that doesn't help if they won't fit.

Do you want headers or high flow manifolds?? Are the 5.2 Ram manifolds 2 1/4" outlet?? You know you could sell all the items you have and buy one of my set-ups and all your problems would be solved and you'd have GREAT flow with no leaks and no asphalt scraping!!

treblig

I would really rather have the cast iron manifolds. I understand that the headers that I have are the low hanging type with the steering link pass through.
Yes, the 5.2 manifolds are the 2 1/4 size. These are the original manifolds to the 5.2 engine. The second set are off of a 92 Dakota. The only difference is on the pass side manifold. EGR?
Can I grind a notch in the cast iron for the interference and have the gap (hole) welded up?

I used to run headers on the street back in the day.

Went back to exhaust manifolds after all of the problems. If they hang too low, you end up crushing the pipes, sometimes you have to buy expensive mini starters, and even then they are difficult to install/remove without disconnecting the header...

I like the KISS theory - Keep It Simple Stupid - the less complicated it is, the less problems you will have with it....

Treblig, just out of curiosity, how much do you get for a pair? Inquiring minds and such. Thanks.

Treblig, just out of curiosity, how much do you get for a pair? Inquiring minds and such. Thanks.

I sell the matched pair (one machined 360 mag and one 340 driver's manifold) for $290 plus shipping. A set of headers that don't drag against the ground and have good clearance all around cost way more than that. Plus my set-up never gets leaks and basically lasts forever. On top of that I see members selling their stock manifolds (people look for them) and their used headers all the time here on FABO so the actual cost will end up being way less than $290. Members are always looking for Dakota manifolds as well not to mention mag manifolds.
Remember that I have to buy a 340 manifold (plus shipping), buy a 360 manifold (plus shipping) do the machining and still make a few dollars for all my time and trouble. Believe me, I'm not making a killing here, I mostly do it to help other members. If you think I'm making a killing, go out and buy a 340 driver's manifold and a (CORRECT) 360 mag manifold and machine it out...then you'll appreciate the $290 price. PLUS, they fit perfect every time!!
I agree with "crazycuda"....been there done that!!
treblig

huh, I have the ram/Dakota magnum manifolds on my 66 valiant. I thought they were a bolt in deal on the later A bodies. I had to grind on mine a little and shim the drivers mount to get them to fit.
their goes my plan of using them on the duster.

I would really rather have the cast iron manifolds. I understand that the headers that I have are the low hanging type with the steering link pass through.
Yes, the 5.2 manifolds are the 2 1/4 size. These are the original manifolds to the 5.2 engine. The second set are off of a 92 Dakota. The only difference is on the pass side manifold. EGR?
Can I grind a notch in the cast iron for the interference and have the gap (hole) welded up?

Yes you can cut the manifold as much as you want and pay to get it repaired. But you're going to cut down on the flow and the cast iron repair may end up cracking. You could easily sell all your manifolds and the headers and buy one of my set-ups and come out smelling like a rose IMO. Not to mention the money you spend on the welding, welders normally charge a minimum of $50-$75 just to turn their machines "on".
Good luck with your build.
treblig

huh, I have the ram/Dakota magnum manifolds on my 66 valiant. I thought they were a bolt in deal on the later A bodies. I had to grind on mine a little and shim the drivers mount to get them to fit.
their goes my plan of using them on the duster.

Should work on the Duster unless you have P/S and or column shift.

treblig

I had the Ram manifolds installed, ground a notch to clear the interference and ended up grinding through the cast. I also cut about 2 1/2 inches off of the steering column housing to move the nylon bushing up and away from the heat. A little bit of grinding and a shim sounds like a good alternative.
BTW Treblig - I think your price is more than reasonable for what you are providing. I've seen 340 manifolds go for a LOT more than that! The Ram manifold on the pass. side is a perfect fit! Don't write me off, I may be getting back with you! LOL Thanks for the help.

can you successfully delete the studs at each end and replace them with bolts?
With sealer of course. Anybody doing this ?

I had the Ram manifolds installed, ground a notch to clear the interference and ended up grinding through the cast. I also cut about 2 1/2 inches off of the steering column housing to move the nylon bushing up and away from the heat. A little bit of grinding and a shim sounds like a good alternative.
BTW Treblig - I think your price is more than reasonable for what you are providing. I've seen 340 manifolds go for a LOT more than that! The Ram manifold on the pass. side is a perfect fit! Don't write me off, I may be getting back with you! LOL Thanks for the help.

Very nice pics!! Pics are what every member needs to figure things out.

Treblig

can you successfully delete the studs at each end and replace them with bolts?
With sealer of course. Anybody doing this ?

That's what I did on my 318. It's impossible to install the mag manifold with studs in the engine. You also have to put the bolt in the manifold before you lower it into place. Haven't had one problem with any water leaks.

Treblig

I can only assume you have manual steering or it may not have been possible???

treblig

I am working on a 1969 Plymouth Fury III Convertible. I want to keep the original 318 CID, Trans and 8 3/4 Rear End so that all the numbers match. I will be doing some engine work though to increase the performance of the 318. One added feature will be Iron 360 Heads in place of the 318 heads. The 360 heads will have some minor porting done to them. Can I use your manifold exhaust set up in my C-Body? Seems like I have a lot more room in the engine compartment than my 1972 Duster. Please advise.

Thanks,
SFMAJOR

I am working on a 1969 Plymouth Fury III Convertible. I want to keep the original 318 CID, Trans and 8 3/4 Rear End so that all the numbers match. I will be doing some engine work though to increase the performance of the 318. One added feature will be Iron 360 Heads in place of the 318 heads. The 360 heads will have some minor porting done to them. Can I use your manifold exhaust set up in my C-Body? Seems like I have a lot more room in the engine compartment than my 1972 Duster. Please advise. Thanks, SFMAJOR

I've got the later Magnum manifolds on my 69 Fury ragtop - 318/auto on the column/ps... no mods needed. Like you said - tons of room under the hood of the land yachts!

I am working on a 1969 Plymouth Fury III Convertible. I want to keep the original 318 CID, Trans and 8 3/4 Rear End so that all the numbers match. I will be doing some engine work though to increase the performance of the 318. One added feature will be Iron 360 Heads in place of the 318 heads. The 360 heads will have some minor porting done to them. Can I use your manifold exhaust set up in my C-Body? Seems like I have a lot more room in the engine compartment than my 1972 Duster. Please advise. Thanks,SFMAJOR

The 340/360 should work as you have more room and the 340 were used on many B bodies anyway.

Treblig

I've got the later Magnum manifolds on my 69 Fury ragtop - 318/auto on the column/ps... no mods needed. Like you said - tons of room under the hood of the land yachts!

Hope you have the 360 manifolds of off the 92-93 318/360 or they probably aren't the large hole manifolds.
Good info, thanks.
Treblig

-
Back