360 oil pan issues

-

MonkeyTrev

Reaction score
So I bought a 360 to go in my 65 Barracuda. The engine came with a truck oil pan on it. So I was going to use the 273 oil pan from the motor that I pulled out, but just realized the 273-318-340 have a larger rear seal. So I need to know what oil pan would be the correct replacement to fit the 360 and still go in the Barracuda. I’m worried about the steering hitting the pan.

1974 360 Dodge Challenger pan is the one you want. You can do days of homework or trust someone that went thru this last fall. Let me know what your order?

Crap, so a 318 pan won't fit a 360?

I was planning on using.my 318 pan on my new LA360...

there are (2) "center sump" 360 pans that I have had, a "392" & an "876". the sumps ain't exactly centered but these pass car pans are both referred to as center sump pans. both have a sump that is ~8" long (front to rear) but the 392 sump starts ~4" from a plumb line in effect straight down vertical from the very front pan metal lip and the 876, the sump starts ~2" from the lip. the 876 takes a pickup with a long smooth angled bend to reach further forward to reach, somewhat centered in the sump and the 392 takes a pickup with an almost a right angle bend. for sure the 392 pan clears the rear edge of the kmember, no exp with the 876. When I posted this info prior someone posted an aftermarket pan that will fit & it might be the Mancini one referred to above. If you have an 876 you could likely figure it out with some carefull measureing (the rear kmember edge is the critical point) but I'm inclined to think no on the 876. I dont remember exactly how close the 392 pan was to the kmember lip on my 65 360 dart before I parted it out

559.jpg

560.jpg

561.jpg

485.jpg

I'm going with this will take 17 posts before he goes with the 1974 360 Challenger oil pan. :poke: Place your bets please!

So I bought a 360 to go in my 65 Barracuda. The engine came with a truck oil pan on it. So I was going to use the 273 oil pan from the motor that I pulled out, but just realized the 273-318-340 have a larger rear seal. So I need to know what oil pan would be the correct replacement to fit the 360 and still go in the Barracuda. I’m worried about the steering hitting the pan.

Crap, so a 318 pan won't fit a 360?

I was planning on using.my 318 pan on my new LA360...

There is one pan for the 360 to fit in the early a-bodies without steering interference, it's the one with 392 stamped in it...

1966 Valiant/Barracuda 360,What oil pan

Also here's a thread on how to ID a SB LA oil pan:

How to ID a Small Block Oil Pan 60's - 80's

there are (2) "center sump" 360 pans that I have had, a "392" & an "876". the sumps ain't exactly centered but these pass car pans are both referred to as center sump pans. both have a sump that is ~8" long (front to rear) but the 392 sump starts ~4" from a plumb line in effect straight down vertical from the very front pan metal lip and the 876, the sump starts ~2" from the lip. the 876 takes a pickup with a long smooth angled bend to reach further forward to reach, somewhat centered in the sump and the 392 takes a pickup with an almost a right angle bend. for sure the 392 pan clears the rear edge of the kmember, no exp with the 876. When I posted this info prior someone posted an aftermarket pan that will fit & it might be the Mancini one referred to above. If you have an 876 you could likely figure it out with some carefull measureing (the rear kmember edge is the critical point) but I'm inclined to think no on the 876. I dont remember exactly how close the 392 pan was to the kmember lip on my 65 360 dart before I parted it out

View attachment 1715137421

View attachment 1715137422

View attachment 1715137423

View attachment 1715137424

20 years ago i cut 2 pans and welded them together to make a pan for a 360. Living out in the sticks,you gotta do what you gotta do.
Would do it again in a hearbeat.

20 years ago i cut 2 pans and welded them together to make a pan for a 360. Living out in the sticks,you gotta do what you gotta do.

A STORY FROM THE OLD DAYS................

About 1976 or 7, long before Al Gore invented the internet, I cut a 340 pan and a 360 pan, made a little jig for the rear seal area and swapped them pan to pan. Put the modded 340 now 360 pan into the RR body and sold it (STUPID) and put the 360 truck pan now modded to fit the 340 into the old Landcruiser

I never thought about that lol I haven’t got to that point yet. I just ordered a new pan.

every chrome pan I bought fit my 65. 3 and counting, but one didnt clear my HV oil pump. that is a great pic of the 2 pans side by side, good info. Remember there are 2 styles of biscuit mounts for these, one is ~1" and the other is about 3" so you have some wiggle room on motor height off center link.

every chrome pan I bought fit my 65. 3 and counting, but one didnt clear my HV oil pump. that is a great pic of the 2 pans side by side, good info. Remember there are 2 styles of biscuit mounts for these, one is ~1" and the other is about 3" so you have some wiggle room on motor height off center link.

You gotta pound out the pan a bit with a ball peen hammer to get clearance to the HV oil pump...

Or grind the one edge of the oil pump cover, but I'd rather not do that if I don't have to....

This IS post #17! That mancini pan pic might be generic but it does appear to have a generous clearance amt in the front like the 392 pan does & the man says it does fit so there ya go. disregard the top most pickup in my pic.

Got a problem. On my new toy, 1966 D/Dart, my center link is rubbing a hole in my oil pan. I have the Mopar 380 hp 360 crate engine in the car. It was installed before I bought it and I didn't know about the rubbing issue. Looks like I need a new pan or have someone tig up the one I have. Has anyone tried using any of the HZ-9344 oil pans in a 64-6 a-body? Can the pan be removed without pulling the engine? It has Schumacher motor mounts and Doug's headers. Plus it's a 4- speed.

-
Back