360 or 340 ??????

-
Taking the 318 out of the cuda I have a 340 and a 360 available.
Just wanting to make it a neck breaker...:burnout:

Which would you pick?
. LOL!!!!!!!! This topic again!!!! OK, my 2 cents. Is a 360, since there plenty cheap with a longer stroke which will make more torque which is what breaks necks plus it is a nice 20 larger. Slugs are also cheaper!

So a 340 stroked to 416 is the way to go.

Umm.....no....
360, no need to stroke it, play to the 360's strenth. A good aluminum head with a 4500-5500rpm torquey cam with an intake in the same neighborhood. Its really all youd need for a boulevard bruiser.

Sell the 340 to the guys willing to pay big bucks just to turn around and spend more big bucks stroking.

It depends on what year the 360 is
No it doesn't.
and if your going to leave the stock crank in the 360 or not.
(OE poster) Stock crank can hold a good amount of power for the street.
Early 360's are externally balanced motors.
All 360's are externally balanced!
If your going to use an aftermarket converter with a stock 360 crank, it needs to be neutrally balanced
Incorrect

and you have to run a special aftermarket flex plate. If you do it right, it won't vibrate.If you do it wrong, get a mouth guard to protect your teeth.
100% correct.

If your going to stroke the 360 and change the crank to a forged internally balanced, this no longer is a problem. You'll have to change the vibration damper to an aftermarket as well, I suggest a fluid damper. You won't have these issues with the 340.
Incorrect unless there is no rebuild, but, since the engine is being rebuilt and the new pistons and probably cutting of the crank, etc... of the rebuilding process lightens up everything, the assembly of no matter what your building needs to be re-balanced.

you make it sound like some big issue. an $80 flex plate with a standard neutral balanced converter and its a done deal. not like its anything exotic.

Damn Skippy, ding dong dead on.

To the thread starter, what kind of power are you looking for in terms of either HP number sought or ET at the track. Someone mentioned earlier a set of aluminum heads. While this idea isn't a bad one in it self, you can run 12's with a stock 2.02 head.

Making 400 HP can be done with a mild cam, in example, a Comp 280 Magnum. A lot depends on what you want to do and how you want to go about doing it.

Any idea's on the gear set and tire size?

Definately a 340 if you can.Grab some good w2s a small solid roller and go terrorize the 360s allday long, just for something to do.

Most folks that say go stroker never tried a 340 with 4.56 gears, IMO

Yep W2 heads will wake the 340 up, then even 4.80 gears might be best. As for high rpm's, heck the M6 engine turns 8,000 rpm, who says you can't as well.

Now fuel mileage, LOL, a gear down 408 will get better mpg on long drives and will make a better street friendly driver

Definately a 340 if you can.Grab some good w2s a small solid roller and go terrorize the 360s allday long, just for something to do.

definately 360...grab some good w2 (expensive) and small roller and walk away from the 340s...all day long..

Most folks that say go stroker never tried a 340 with 4.56 gears, IMO

Yep W2 heads will wake the 340 up, then even 4.80 gears might be best. As for high rpm's, heck the M6 engine turns 8,000 rpm, who says you can't as well.

Now fuel mileage, LOL, a gear down 408 will get better mpg on long drives and will make a better street friendly driver

most folks with a 340 have not tried a 408 with 4.30 gears and 29 inch tall tires....jerk the smile off your face and put you in the back seat

most folks with a 340 have not tried a 408 with 4.30 gears and 29 inch tall tires....jerk the smile off your face and put you in the back seat

No kiddin. Cubes will win out everytime. I'm a BIG stock bore and stroke proponent ONLY because I'm a broke ***. If I could afford it, I'd build nothin but strokers.

360. The longer stroke simply makes more torque...that makes for a more friendly street driver. Really easy to make serious power with. I do love a 340 but dollar for dollar, 360 is the bang for the buck motor to build. Cheaper pistons to!!

Since you are doing a rebuild anyways, what some engines come with stock is a moot point.

The 408 is simply a beast. A friend has one in a '74 Duster and it makes torque everywhere. I'd reccomend it if you got the coin.

Oh...on those W2 heads, that is great option if you have plenty of $$$$.

-
Back