360 partially rounded head bolt help

-
Harbor freight 12 point socket???? There's the problem. Should use a 6 point and a better brand socket. Harbor freight is only good for throw away tools.

12 point sockets are made for 12 point bolts.
Use a 6 point always when you can. Get a fine headed ratchet if you need the sensitivity.
Clean the debris out from around the bolt head. (which probably caused the problem to start with).
Get a GOOD 6 point 18mm impact socket with extension and DRIVE it on with a BFH until it bottoms out. Don't be afraid to hit it hard.
Use a breaker bar on the extension/socket to loosen the bolt. If you don't absolutely need the extension, use the breaker bar on the socket alone. Some finesse is needed here, make sure you are square to the bolt and use even pressure, and use a steady pull as opposed to a jerking motion. Make sure your arms are at a 90 degree angle to the breaker bar.
It should pull right off.
If you twist the head of the bolt off, take the head off and remove the stub with a pipe wrench and heat where the threads go into the block.
You realize that the head will probably need to be resurfaced, right?
Check it after you have it out.

If you can't flag down a tool truck try a parts store for one of these twist sockets. The harder you pull the more they bite. Take a headbolt along to get the correct size. toolman

Attachments

• easy-off-metric-twist-socket-set-access-tools-eo0.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 152
If you can't flag down a tool truck try a parts store for one of these twist sockets. The harder you pull the more they bite. Take a headbolt along to get the correct size. toolman

Those are what the Craftsman extractors are like; they work very well.

My experience was on a head bolt that suffered ALOT of corrosion, no regular socket was gonna get it out.

I suggest NOT cutting off the bolt head, only as a last resort. But before you put on the socket of choice, heat the bolt with acetylene, or what have you, then squelch it with PB Blaster or similar. Do this several times over the course of a few days. You need every advantage you can get in removing the bolt. An even better way is a mixture of acetone and ATF. Soak the bolt and let it weep down into the threads.

I suggest NOT cutting off the bolt head, only as a last resort. But before you put on the socket of choice, heat the bolt with acetylene, or what have you, then squelch it with PB Blaster or similar. Do this several times over the course of a few days. You need every advantage you can get in removing the bolt. An even better way is a mixture of acetone and ATF. Soak the bolt and let it weep down into the threads.
On a head bolt, none of that penetrating oil is ever going to get down to the threads, which is where the thing is stuck.

6-point snapon would more than likely get it off, too bad I am not closer, I'd bring some over and take it off for you.

-
Back