360 Rebuild Recommendations

-

Joker

Reaction score
I work with a computer for a living. Very minimum knowledge of engine mechanics. I would like to say, if I had my way, this would be a 10s car build. But we are building my sons 1st car. So we have a stock 360 to put in the Dart. The HP will be probably what I'm looking for my son, 15-16sec car.

Here is the trick. Can we cam swap to something that sounds mean without majorly adding HP. He has also mentioned the blown look. Maybe a high rise intake with scoop sticking out hood? Still keeping performance to a mild daily driver?

Cam suggestion?
Rebuild kit?
Intake?

Name and where to buy would be great?

Hi joker, a 15-16 dart is going to be achievable with a standard factory 4bbl 318 or 360 engine and some good condition tires.

Everything that is modified or changed from standard is a trade-off of some sort.

Those camshafts that make a car sound mean are designed to increase an engine's ability to produce more power at high RPM, higher than the factory spec redline. This comes at the expense of decreased low end torque, idle quality and increased fuel consumption and combustion temperatures.

The wilder the camshaft, the shorter lifespan of the engine.

Think of it like this, the candle that burns twice as bright also burns only half as long.

The same is true for high rise intake manifolds, they are designed to work best at high RPM and fitting one on an engine that is not built for racing will make regular street driving suffer quite dramatically.

I would suggest a standard rebuild with a nice exhaust to begin with. There are some great books available to help if you choose to assemble a mopar small block V8 yourself.

a good one to start with would be this one.
http://www.ebay.com/ctg/Rebuild-Sma...-Taylor-1987-Paperback-/333887/r.html?_fcls=1

Hope this helps.

Stock 340 8.5:1 compression, stock rockers & valve train, Bolt on's are Headers, exhaust, rpm air gap, 700 holly DP, 484 Mopar Purple camshaft & MSD ignition.

If your looking for sound this probably close to what it would be like and last a very long time also. Fuel mileage suxxxx though. I would estimate around 9 miles to the gallon but I am a LEAD FOOT to the MAXXX!

[ame="http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IqN600yXr5o"]Scamp cleaned up - YouTube[/ame]

Thanks guys. Summit the place to buy a rebuild kit? Looks like we should just do a good rebuild, maybe mild cam and use a exhaust to get that muscle car sound. No high rise intake, just a 4bbl carb. And a good book for the rebuild!

Video is sweet, what a fantastic car btw!

A mild 360 with some compression,a cam,intake and headers will do the trick. Gear ratio and tire size will determine 1/4 mile times. Should be a fun car.

Thanks guys. Summit the place to buy a rebuild kit? Looks like we should just do a good rebuild, maybe mild cam and use a exhaust to get that muscle car sound. No high rise intake, just a 4bbl carb. And a good book for the rebuild!

Video is sweet, what a fantastic car btw!
you are right on track 340 spec cam will give good power and good sound good duel pipes 2.5 inch and there you go.

Same cam I have in my 340 (though this is in a camaro, but you get the idea of what is sounds like)
[ame]http://youtu.be/jifx49pnUIA[/ame]

-
Back