360 Spark Plugs? Tune-Up Time.

-

pastortom1

Reaction score
Guys..........

On my mildly worked 360 4BBL with a Torker intake, Holley 650 single feed and Mopar Purple cam (not very noticeable lope), what spark plugs would you guys recommend for all around driving ? The car runs nice and cool all of the time, manifolds instead of headers, and dual 2.5" exhaust.

I've read about the "new" designs, and they're intriguing......BUT, I've tried a couple of them some years ago (like Splitfire, for example) and noticed little if any difference............

What'cha think? I wanna go get the parts to freshen 'er up this week.......Need a good suggestion from good experience.

Thanks................................. Doc

What Ignition Are You Running? I Have A Msd6al & Blaster Coil. I Change My Plugs Once A Year. I'm Using Champion Rc12yc4 Gapped @ .050. No Problems. I Like The Smaller Hex On These Plugs, They Take A 5/8 Socket. It Leaves A Little Extra Room.

Standard Mopar-Perf electronic set-up.........Like stock basically, maybe a little hotter...standard coil as well....................8)

I like what Mike runs. I have no problems with a Champ or AC delco. I'm not to fond of the auto light plug myself.

I use Autolite too. Can't say that they work any better than Champion or anything else, just that they are readily available.

Anyway, especially with headers the small 5/8 hex of the mopar magnum engines gives you easier access. The stock heat range is Autolite #3924 and one colder is #3923. These are the same in every way except for having a 5/8 hex body instead of the 13/16 hex.

Autolite 3924's here too..i would'nt put Champions in my lawnmower....

I gotta go along with all of the Autolite votes. I've been using nothing but Autolites since 1970. They're the only plugs I could get to live in my original '69 340 Dart.

I haved used all kinds of different brands of spark plugs. I sold auto parts for 18 years. Theres not a pennies worth of difference in any of them. 99% of the time, if someone has a problem with a sparkplug, its gonna be mis-application! Just because a Champion number crosses over to a Autolite, doesn't mean that it is a direct cross. Just like not all P235-75R-15 tires are not the same height & width, it depends on the brand. I have been racing since 1979 & have never had a failed spark plug. All you gotta do is find a real parts person (hard to do nowdays) & do some research. I use Champions, I guess if it was good enough for OEM MA MOPAR, they are good enough for me.

What Ignition Are You Running? I Have A Msd6al & Blaster Coil. I Change My Plugs Once A Year. I'm Using Champion Rc12yc4 Gapped @ .050. No Problems. I Like The Smaller Hex On These Plugs, They Take A 5/8 Socket. It Leaves A Little Extra Room.

i have the MSD digital 6 and MSD dist.

I' m running a complete msd system,and it likes autolites,i put champions in once car did not run the same,,i actually use the autolite race plugs ar-3924's..champions might be good for oem but performance applicatiions:thumbdow::thumbdow:

I' m running a complete msd system,and it likes autolites,i put champions in once car did not run the same,,i actually use the autolite race plugs ar-3924's..champions might be good for oem but performance applicatiions:thumbdow::thumbdow:
I JUST RUN A 11.34 @ 118mph ON A RACE SEASON & HALF ON OFF THE SELF OEM CHAMPION PLUGS. THE THING IS, IF I HAD THE PROPER BRAND X PLUG IN IT, IT WOULD RUN JUST AS WELL.

Don't wanna get crucified here BUUUT... A while ago when I changed over to a Mallory HyFire 6A ignition, Mallory canister coil, and stock reman'd electronic dizzy, I decided on NGK V-power plugs gapped at .040". Worked great and there was a little power improvement/smoother idle over the stock points system even though it was still a stock 318 2-bbl.

Don't wanna get crucified here BUUUT... A while ago when I changed over to a Mallory HyFire 6A ignition, Mallory canister coil, and stock reman'd electronic dizzy, I decided on NGK V-power plugs gapped at .040". Worked great and there was a little power improvement/smoother idle over the stock points system even though it was still a stock 318 2-bbl.

I've also had great luck with NGK V-power's gapped at .040. Haven't had really any bad luck with any of the others (Champions, AC's, or Autolites) but I've noticed the V-Powers won't hardly foul out no matter what happens and they last good and did seem to idle a little smoother.

I Have A 72 Dart Running A 360 In Super Pro 6.9 In 1/8 Mi. I Use Auto Lite Plugs. The Set Thats In Now Have 80 Runs On Them. Champs Only Got 2 Runs And Died! Tried Ac They Lasted 6 Runs,tried Nkg. 12 Runs . I Use A Msd Set Up ,plugs Gaped @ .050

flboatman1 whats that combo in that 360 .. I use auto 65/66 in my 340

I bought the car abought 5 mo. ago, never had valve covers off. the past owner passed away in sleep. widow sold me the car, I know the cam is a roller, the comp. is 13.0 it has a 750 pro Form with 1 inch spacer eldobrock air gap, heads are cast iron they have a J stamp on each head above ex. port the lady said it had 202 intake valves,elect w/pump, 1 7/8 hookers. 904 trans 4800. stall 8 ince conv. reverse manuale valve body,488 8 3/4 rear with racing stock style supen. and adj. snubber, 31x10.5x15 MT slicks. Sorry it took so long. Gary

-
Back