360 swap to adjustable rockers

-

Joseph24251_200

The Mopar Kid
Reaction score
Hey I was just wondering what will I have to do to swap my 360 over to adjustable rockers. I was wondering but I'm not sure and doesn't a 360 oil throw the rods, and i notice that the 273 rods don't do this. Is there a special rod i need to order and how well are the roller rocker over the 273 rockers.

Why are you going over to adj? Mech cam i assume, but you would have those on there already...anyways. The 273 rocker oiling is the same as the 360 which is through the rockershafts. You will need the 273 rockershafts due to their 'banana' oil grooves that the factory stamped non-adj rockers did not have. You should also upgrade the adjusters on the 273 rockers.

What you need to change is the pushrod ends. So new pushrods are in order.
Theres a length change (Slightly) and one end is normal while the other end is a cup for the rocker.
You need not change to the banna grove shafts, though it is a good item to have for it has better oiling abiltys.
It is not mandory to have.

The 273 is not the same as newer adjustable rockers. The 273 is an interfearnce fitting while the newer rockers have adjusting screws and lock nuts.
I'll have to find my 273 rockers and snap shot them next to my Comp rockers.

when i swaped to the adjustables i bought the proper length pushrods (i dont remember the length)but i had some troubles with them being too long and had to do some slight grinding on the bottom of the rocker so it didnt hit the cup. when i made the swap it was beacuase i was breaking alot of the stamped rockers in my circle track car.they did solve the problem.

Adjustable rockers with solid lifters will likely need 7.500" pushrods. If you have a hydraulic cam, you will need shorter pushrods. Something about 7.21" or 7.32".

Crane. Mopar or Isky ductile iron rockers are similar to the OEM 273 adjustable rockers, but have adjusters with lock-nuts, as mentioned. Roller rockers will also have lock-nuts on the adjusters.

It sounds like chrisII has the long solid lifter pushrods with hydraulic lifters and had to back the rocker adjuster way into the rocker body. Not a good idea. Ideal pushrod length leaves about 0-2 threads of the adjuster showing under the rocker arm.

It sounds like chrisII has the long solid lifter pushrods with hydraulic lifters and had to back the rocker adjuster way into the rocker body. Not a good idea. Ideal pushrod length leaves about 0-2 threads of the adjuster showing under the rocker arm.

When i bought my pushrods I ordered them for hyd lifters with the 273 rockers. I ordered 2 sets and ordered them from differend suppluers and still got the same length. I didnt think the pushrod for solid lifters would even fit but i might be mistaken.

I just swapped my 360 to a 273 rocker setup:

Stock 273 adjustable rockers
MP adjusting hardware (locknut style) #P5007444AB
MP chrome rocker shafts #P4510636
Crane pushrod set from Summit #CRN-69691-16

I did need to clearance grind the ROCKERS on the underside where they face the valve springs, due to a slight interference issue with the larger springs I have. But there is LOTS of meat in that area of the rocker arm. Mostly I was grinding off the casting seam.

I have a .450/.475 Herbert E3N Hydraulic cam and lifters, and 596 heads.

Men, I just pulled a set of adjustable rockers last weekend just to keep them from being destroyed eventually at the junk yard. The shafts appeared to be the same as 360 except I was suppprised that the oil supple holes were smaller. This was off a 2 barrel engine valiant. I should have bought the crank also but to much trouble. What are the banana shafts like? thanks walt p.s. I paid 26.00 bucks, pulled my me. :thumbup:

Banana shafts have a diagonal groove that crosses the oiling hole. It helps to oil better. They are not necessary, but are available. I figure if it were that big a deal, Mopar's aftermarket chrome shafts would be bananas...but they aren't.

superdart said:
Banana shafts have a diagonal groove that crosses the oiling hole. It helps to oil better. They are not necessary, but are available. I figure if it were that big a deal, Mopar's aftermarket chrome shafts would be bananas...but they aren't.

Maybe MP doesn't always have the customers interest in mind in that if you gall up a shaft I'm sure they'll cover it under warrenty!!! They also use the Crane adjustable rockers which has had the problem with the adjuster tips wearing down. This problem has been out there quite some time and they still sell that defective POS but they don't need to change their supplier to fix the problem. My point is just because MP doesn't sell the shafts doesn't mean it's it's okay to run your rockers without the banna grooves.

True...just being MP stuff doesn't mean it's the best, but I'm not the first to use adj. rockers with regular shafts. The guy I got them from was running adj rockers on standard shafts for years in a 273 without issue.

I think they'll be fine.

I used factory rockers and shorter pushrods, length depends on hyd or solid lifters. stock length 7.500, adj w/hyd 7.234, adj w/solid 7.1**( I can't remember exactly right now) adjust lash on cam base circle for best results
I also used rocker shaft shims from mancini racing ($30.00)to correct the rocker arm to valve tip contact.

-
Back